Ambergris Caye Caye Caulker HELP! Visitor Center Businesses
BelizeNews.com BelizeSearch.com BelizePhotographs.com Lodging

Topic Options
#517776 - 09/24/16 11:42 AM Fishermen Make Public Plea for Help After Earl
Marty Offline

Hurricane Earl swept through Belize since August but months later the damages left in its trail are multiplying. Several of eighteen fishermen on the island of Caye Caulker say they need significant help to recover from hurricane Earl, which threatens more damage to an industry that has already seen significant damage in other areas such as shrimp farming. Correspondent Aaron Humes has the report.

Aaron Humes, Reporting

More than a month after Hurricane Earl, the Caye Caulker representative for Managed Access with the Fisheries Department and long-time fisherman, Eluterio Lopez, says the area which draws many fishermen to hunt lobster, conch and fish has not recovered.

Eluterio Lopez

Eluterio Lopez, Fisherman

“Basically we’re here gathered today, because we are concerned that we’re not getting the help that we were expecting. Usually we on Caye Caulker are left for last, but this time it is not only about Caye Caulker; it’s about the fishermen from San Pedro, the fishermen from Long Caye. We have fishermen from Sarteneja that comes over here and even they have found a lost—not only because they are affected outside by the environment under the water. We have the marine environment is messed up now. The area that used to fish, they are not fishing anymore. Some of the coral patches are broken down. Some of the caves outside the barrier reef where you usually find lobsters, they are not there anymore; they are covered with sea fans and they are not fishing anymore. So it is not only about people who have traps; it is even people who are not depending on traps. We need some kind of assistance. Most of us here…I myself, have about sixty-six traps in one of my areas and I have twelve on the other side. Totally, I only found about thirty-two or thirty-three of them that I have found. I am thankful that I am able to survive with that. Usually how I used to do it, I dive my traps and then if there is nothing there, I go and dive outside—this is about thirty-forty feet deep. This is what we have to do now because there is less fishes in the sea, right.”

Porfilio Guzman

Fellow fisherman Porfilio Guzman claims the hurricane destroyed a significant majority of his and the other approximately one hundred fishers’ equipment on La Isla Carinosa.

Porfilio Guzman, Fisherman

“It’s big, it’s big; I guarantee you that just the lobster fishermen weh have the traps and the raft, you are talking about maybe half a million dollars or maybe more in damages in traps because each fisherman would have about one hundred traps. You have some weh have four hundred, some got five hundred and the smallest fisherman would have like a hundred trap. And they lost all…value it at seventy-five dollars, each trap.”

There were many tales of woe. Guzman said he hadn’t seen this level of damage to the fishing industry on the island since Hurricane Keith, sixteen years ago. And the fishing slowdown extends to the island’s restaurants, which have not been getting the level of produce they need as seafood capital of Belize.

Charles Rubio Jr.

Charles Rubio Jr., Fisherman

“The fishermen supply the restaurants with lobster so that when the tourists come in the restaurants can provide lobster on the table. But right now it is not like that due to the hurricane. Lot of these fishermen get so pretty hurt. Imagine somebody got six hundred lobster traps and you only end up with a hundred left, it’s really hurt you know.”

But what most hurts some fishermen – like two we spoke with, Ian Forte and Marty Rodriguez, is that this is the sole way they earn a living for their families.

Ian Forte

Ian Forte, Fisherman

“I have three kids, I have two girls and one boy; my oldest girl goes to Saint Catherine’s in the city. My fishing, I am a tour guide as well and I do fishing as well in the slow time. This is when I depend a lot on fishing and it helps to pay for the bill. It helps to pay for my daughter’s passage, for food and even for my kids here. So it a big strain now that I find it even harder to provide for them for the loss that I’ve had.”

Reporter

“And of course for the others like yourself who have supplementary income, this helps to offset other expenses that you have?”

Marty Rodriguez

Marty Rodriguez, Fisherman

“Of course. All the plans and preparations for other stuff, you have to change and put priority first. So what is for Peter, yo have to take and pay Paul.”

Aaron Humes reporting for News Five.

Information to News Five is that the fishermen are expected to get help, but details are not forthcoming and the persons in direct charge of fisheries – C.E.O. Colin Young and Fisheries Administrator Beverly Wade have not been available for comment.

Channel 5

#518320 - 10/15/16 12:03 PM Re: Fishermen Make Public Plea for Help After Earl [Re: Marty]
Marty Offline

Fishermen seek help after Hurricane Earl

The long recovery following Hurricane Earl is just beginning for fishermen across Belize. Earl’s impact resulted in soaring losses for fishermen, especially those of Caye Caulker Village. As one of the largest sources of income for the country, fishermen feel that the Government of Belize (GOB) should offer them financial assistance, which up to date, they have not received.

According to local fishermen from both Caye Caulker and San Pedro, fishing grounds for lobster, fish and conch were severely damaged by the forces of the storm. In addition, Caye Caulker fishermen in particularly suffered excessive losses in fishing equipment. “Fishermen in Caye Caulker are feeling the strain from the hurricane’s impact. We are talking about maybe half a million dollars in damages to lobster traps. Some fishermen had 500 traps, some had 400 traps and the smallest fishermen had about 100 traps, valued at about $75 each trap, but they lost it all in the storm,” explained Portilio Guzman on the extent of the loss of equipment in Caye Caulker.

With fishermen claiming that they hadn’t seen this level of damage to the fishing industry in 16 years when Hurricane Keith hit Belize, they are unsure of their next step. “Many coral patches are broken. The caves outside of the barrier reef where you usually find lobsters are no longer there. It’s not only about the traps that were destroyed, but the fishing grounds as well. We need some kind of assistance,” said representative of the Caye Caulker Managed Access Program, Eluterio Lopez.

Now that the production of seafood in the country has decreased, island restaurants are also being impacted. “The fishermen supply the restaurant with seafood for tourists. But right now it is not like that. A lot of these fishermen that got affected haven’t been able to catch what they normally would. Imagine somebody that had six hundred lobster traps, and you only ended up with a hundred after the hurricane? It’s really hurting us,” said another fisherman of Caye Caulker, Charles Rubio Jr.

As for here in San Pedro, fishermen are making due with the situation, says Alfredo Rubio of the San Pedro Managed Access Program. “It’s difficult to tell the losses of fishermen here in San Pedro since the Managed Access program has little participation, but we are trying to get organized and bring all fishermen together. The biggest problem here in San Pedro was the docks and piers. While some have applied to rebuild their docks, other have carried out their fishing endeavors without one,” said Rubio.

Click here to read the rest of the article in the San Pedro Sun

Links
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker
Chronicles

PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lil’ Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 34 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,670 Registered Members
44 Forums
64,006 Topics
462,170 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day