Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
They say why they would do that in the GOB Press Release.

"The data produced will give a regional picture of the geology below the sea floor that will help the Government to evaluate the hydrocarbon potential of the deep offshore areas of Belize"

That's pretty clear to me.

www.conchcreative.com
Belize Wedding Photography

B
B
PLUS, I find that assuming the worst regarding the actions of the Belize government often isn't assuming bad enough.

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

The Northern Explorer is already in Belizean waters. It came into port; remained overnight but did not stay in port. The auxiliary vessel is also here (the Campeche); it entered Belize and went straight to port.

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
The Belize Tourism Board (BTB) hereby invites you to an informative session on the Regional Seismic Survey.

Date: Thursday, October 20, 2016
Time: 10:00 am
Venue: Sunbreeze Hotel Conference Room, San Pedro

Based on questions and concerns raised by tourism stakeholders, the Belize Tourism Board (BTB) has arranged for an Information Session on the Seismic Survey planned for Belize.

The following representatives from the Department of Environment (DOE) and from the Geology & Petroleum Department will be there to address you on this very important topic.

CEO Dr. Colin Young
CEO Yvonne Hyde
Martin Allegria - Chief Environmental Officer
Andre Cho - Director of Geology & Petroleum Department

The representatives will explain details of the Seismic survey and will be able to clarify and respond to your questions and concerns.

===================

Belize's Exclusive Economic Zone, now the subject of controversial seismic exploration. Today I experienced firsthand the sound of airgun blasts underwater. Diving on the East side of Turneffe just a little North of Cock Roach Cut I heard what sounded like thunder. The day was overcast, so it didn't seem strange that there might be a storm building nearby. Shortly after, there was a second thunder clap, then another and another. I looked around at the other divers to see if they noticed anything unusual. Suddenly it struck me that what I was hearing wasn't thunder, but the sound of the seismic airgun blasts. The calm of my underwater escape had been interrupted by blasts of acoustic energy reverberating through ocean. The fish around us seemed to sense the disturbance too, everything seemed to be on edge. I reluctantly ended the dive, the fear that the source of the blasts was near and could cause harm was overwhelming. Unlike divers, marine life can't exit the water to seek safety. Today I experienced the confusion and fear all life caught in the range of seismic testing share.

balabz
Turneffe Atoll

The seismic ship is now located just South of Caye Caulker.

You can track it on the map HERE . It looks like it's scanning the length of Belize, currently heading towards Southern Belize and the Placencia area.

[Linked Image]

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
Video of Offshore Oil Exploration Conference in San Pedro, 1hr30min
https://www.facebook.com/SanPedroSun/videos/1294408247260449/

Belize Coalition meets with Caye Caulker community on seismic testing, 56min.
https://www.facebook.com/OceanaInBelize/videos/1272725702760813/

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
[Linked Image]

The controversial Belize Tourism Board presentation on the currently ongoing seismic survey in Belizean waters has ended with Area Representative Honorable Manuel Heredia Jr. promising to lobby with the Prime Minister Dean Barrow for the research to stop until a proper consultation can be done. Residents of San Pedro have demanded a response from Heredia by 2PM today or industrial action will be taken to seize the operations. All concerned residents are invited to the Lions Den at 2PM for the follow up meeting.

San Pedro Sun

Video of Offshore Oil Exploration Conference in San Pedro, 1hr30min
https://www.facebook.com/SanPedroSun/videos/1294408247260449/

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
Seismic Operations Suspended

Based on multiple concerns raised by concerned citizens regarding the seismic survey currently being conducted in the deep offshore of Belize as well as the fact that extensive consultation with a wider ground of stakeholders did not occur prior the commencement of the survey, the Government of Belize (GOB) has decided that it will suspend seismic operations until such consultations can be conducted. Accordingly, the Geology and Petroleum Department will inform the ship that they are to cease seismic operations immediately.

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

I pick up trash on the beach every day. It floats from east to west. Seems like oil would do pretty much the same thing.
Even a rig spill in Jamaica would make a disaster here. The idea of anything "just outside" the reserve area being ok is INSANE. IMHO there should be no drilling anywhere at all in the Caribbean.

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
Please be informed that while the GOB has suspended seismic testing, multi beam testing has not been suspended. This screenshot of vessel finder shows, Fugro Gauss, another research vessel currently at port. The Northern Explorer has indicated they are leaving Belize Waters, because they feel "unwelcome".

Comments on Facebook:

You should support multibeam of all waters of Belize. It's valuable data that can enhance fisheries and resource management. It is not dangerous to any marine life. NB...i'm a marine scientist, diver, cave and wreck hunter. I wouldn't be saying that if it wasn't fact.

--

multibeam testing is often used to map seabed important in navigational maps where low lying reef occurs. All of Belize cruising (yacht sailing) navigational maps are massively out of date.

---

Multi beam testing provides scientists with a wealth of valuable data. It is not invasive as seismic is.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 134 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,198
Posts500,015
Members20,458
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.