FOR TODAY'S BELIZE WEATHER, CLICK HERE

Click for our Daily Tropical Weather Report.

Specials and Events

Last night's TV news on Channel 7, Channel 5, LOVETV, PGTV, West Vision (Cayo) and CTV 3. Also with the most recent Open Your Eyes, Rise and Shine Morning Show, and the Dickie Bradley Specials

Misc Belizean Sourcesmzz

History and Social Studies Competition Finals
Six Primaty Schools will compete for the right to take home the first ever History Cup. Which school will take home this prestigious Cup? Catch it live on Love FM or in person at the SCA Gymnasium. Thursday, November 24 at 9 AM - 12 PM, St. Catherine Academy, 6 Hutson Street, Belize City, Belize

BNTU RALLY in Orange Walk
The Nation is cordially invited to a Stand up for Belize Now!!! BNTU rally. All buses leave for Belize City on Saturday, October 29, 2016. Come and be a Part of History as BNTU extends it's gratitude to all our teachers, parents, students and friends. To all who continue to stand in solidarity for a Greater Belize for generations to come!!!!

Pedro Mena Park Refurbishment
The Rotaract Club of Benque painted and cleaned up Pedro Mena Park. Thanks, Rotaract! "Rotaractors Mission accomplished. Today Pedro Mena Park was painted & cleaned, because it’s all about #Serviceaboveself and #communityservice Rotaract club of Benque Viejo wants to thanks Ms Lorena Nabet for Providing us with breakfast and Mr.Neftaly Venegas for providing us with lunch and helping us to paint."

9th Annual Artisan Fair
The U.S. Embassy's 9th annual Artisan Fair is on Tuesday, November 15th(not the 9th like it says in the flier). Miss Deb's will be there too. "Artists from all over Belize coming together at the US Embassy in November on Tuesday, November 15th (yes, there was a date change... no longer on the 9th) for the 9th Annual Artisan Fair. Will my Belize Critters be there? You betcha! With a HUGE inventory of lizards, snakes, and other Jungle Critters, plus stuff from the very popular Reef Collection. Who doesn't need a toucan- in- a- Christmas- stocking ornament???"

Wine House 1st Anniversary
The Wine House is celebrating their 1st anniversary on Friday, October 28th. The have the best selection of wines around, and their month wine appreciation nights are loads of fun.

National Tourism Awards 2016
CONGRATULATIONS to Battle of the Drums for WIN in the category of "Major Festivals"! Vanilla Hills Lodge, the WINNERS of the "Small Accommodations of the Year" award! Running W Steakhouse & Restaurant, WINNERS of the "Restaurant of the Year" award. Splash Dive Center on two wins "Hospitality Award of the Year" and "Tour Operator of the Year"!! Tour Guide of the Year is Mr. Justo Navez of Caves Branch, CONGRATULATIONS to Mr. Vitalino Reyes of CaveTubing.Bz, for being recognized and recieving the Minister's Award.

Día de los Finados celebration
The San Pedro House of Culture invites you to be part of the Día de los Finados celebration on Wednesday, November 2nd at 7:00 p.m. We invite you to bring a picture of your departed loved one and also to bring flowers to be placed on the altar honoring the deceased. "Join us in remembering our dearly departed and help support them through their spiritual journey."

The Reporter

Earthquake hits part of Caribbean
Parts of the Caribbean were shaken by a 5.5 magnitude earthquake this past week, but causing no serious damage or injuries. The islands of St Lucia, Dominica, Martinique, Guadeloupe, Antigua and Barbuda and St. Vincent and the Grenadines reported feeling the tremor. According to the University of the West Indies’ Seismic Research Centre (SRC), the epicenter of the quake on Tuesday was measured 8 km southwest of Roseau, Dominica; 85 km northwest of Fort-de-France, Martinique; and 109 km south of Point-à-Pitre, Guadeloupe.

Caribbean people will have more difficulty working and studying in Britain soon
United Kingdom Home Security Amber Rudd has announced that Caribbean nationals looking for employment or study opportunities in Great Britain will have a harder time doing so, under an immigration crackdown. The new restrictions will prevent foreigners from taking up jobs that Britons can do, and significantly reduce the number of people being allowed into Britain. Rudd said the Home Office would soon consult on a new student immigration system and on tightening the resident labour market test that companies have to pass before recruiting foreigners. This is all part of the drive to reduce net migration – which currently stands at 327,000. “The test should ensure people coming here are filling gaps in the labour market, not taking jobs British people could do,” Rudd said.

Belize has foreign exchange, new CBB Governor assures
The Central Bank of Belize has sufficient foreign exchange, despite that Belize had to make large procurements of US dollars to make the first payment of US $60 million for nationalising BTL. “I want to assure the Belizean public that there is no crisis with foreign exchange; we have foreign exchange, Governor of the Bank, Joy Grant said on Friday. “We are doing everything as a jurisdiction to make sure that foreign exchange will be there for the business community and others who needs it. However, because we have said before that there’s been a large outflow within the last few months, because of these extraordinary payments that there’s been a decrease but that there is sufficient foreign exchange in the system to continue to operate,” Grant continued. Grant added that despite the impact Hurricane Earl has had on agricultural revenues, Belize still manages to stay afloat with foreign currency, and should be able to continue making payments.

New automated system promises to offer more efficient banking
A new automated system, which offers an easier, more efficient way of banking, was introduced on Friday. The Central Bank of Belize introduced the Automated Payment and Securities Settlement System (APS 3), designed to cut the time required to clear checks, make payments and transfer funds. It links all banks to a network. Joy Grant, new governor of Central Bank, explained the new system is expected to cut costs for bankking customers. “Hopefully…the cost to the consumer overtime will decrease for transactions that they do now without thinking, but that are important for the running of this economy. …We have to move into the future and to do that we have to make sure that we have the systems in place. For example, if you were waiting for 5-7 days to get funds in your account and you now could get it in one day, that means that you could do more with that money over time.”

Breaking Belize NewsPJ

Belize~ Why it makes good sense for G.O.B. to pay teachers
The teachers of Belize, under the Belize National Teachers Union, ended their 11-day strike action this Tuesday, October 18, 2016. Their STAND FOR BELIZE demanded actions on the part of the Government of Belize (GOB) to curb corruption and deliver good governance….as well […]

House Speaker claims account was hacked
Speaker of the House Michael Peyrefitte came under criticism last night after an inflammatory status aimed at the LGBT community was posted to his Facebook page, however, he claims his account was hacked. “If you can take a six inch **** in your *** […]

Female minor, 14, reported missing
The family of Thania Binton, 14, is devastated. The E.P. Yorke student was reported missing after she left her home on Neal’s Pen Road on Saturday afternoon. She had reportedly gone on a black and purple beach cruiser to the A&R store on the […]

Feud sparks between Mayor and Area Rep in Cayo
Last week reports surfaced of the wooden bridge being opened Wednesday night by the Mayor of San Ignacio and Santa Elena, Earl Trapp. Hours after the bridge was opened, the area representative for Cayo Central Rene Montero ,who is also the Minister of Works, […]

Blogs

Saturday Happenings: From a Farmers’ Market to A Silent Party
The last week has been tumultuous to say the least. How dare the Government of Belize sign off on a seismic oil exploration study without public consultation? Even if ALL the multiple seismic studies predicting disasterous outcomes there are “anecdotal” as this OIL expert says in his interview with Channel 7 news, why explore if you don’t plan to drill? It’s taking an unnecessary risk with our fragile reef system, the entire tourism industry and our livelihoods. But I thought Sunday might be a good day to post about some lighter subjects – though I remain on the war path – here is what I did yesterday. A sunny then cloudy then sunny and then cloudy October afternoon. I stopped by the monthly Farmers’ Market at the Truck Stop and bought two boules (sunflower seed and cranberry/walnut) from Sue (she was amidst a frenzy for her bacon jam), some home-made dog biscuits from Heather of Caye to the Heart and some very VERY tasty muffins. I also mentally signed on to attend tonight’s screening of Seismic Sea – that will be followed by a community discussion.

International Sourcesizz

Seabird announces Belize seismic activity
SeaBird Exploration has said it is to acquire a long-offset survey in Belize, starting mid-October 2016. SeaBird will use the Northern Explorer to acquire the survey and the anticipated duration of the program is three to four weeks. Seismic activity offshore Belize, South America, has been opposed by environmental groups including Oceana, which has launched a petition against the activity. Meanwhile, Belize currently has no active offshore exploration licenses. There have been calls for a national referendum on the topic.

Woman rescues sickly cat named Smeagol who bears an uncanny resemblance to Lord of the Rings character
An animal lover has certainly shown that this cat is her precious - after turning him from Gollum into a true king. The two-year-old cat, Smeagol, was named for his likeness to the Lord of the Rings character after he was found emaciated and bloodied on a Belize highway. But rescuer Melissa, who did not wish to give her surname, nursed him back to full health and transformed him into a princely pet. Melissa, from Belize City, said: 'It was heart wrenching when I found him. 'I was driving, and I saw something on the edge of the highway. 'I realized it was a kitten sitting there, as a motorcycle sped right by him. But he didn't run away, so I figured something must wrong with it. 'Then I drove up right behind him, and got out the car and scooped him up in a little towel. He didn't run or fight, he had already given up. 'When I put him in the car, he started purring very loudly.'

Beautiful Belize: Photo Journalist Susan Colby Joins an All-Girl Charter
It took me 16 years to get back to Belize, a tiny country I fell in love with back then. The same feelings immediately overwhelmed me as I felt the warm Caribbean water wash over my toes on that first magical evening. The warm turquoise sea, the pale, fine sand and palm trees; friendly smiles, great beer and wonderful rum. I felt as if I had come home. Home this time was a 48-foot Moorings 4800 catamaran called Endless Options. With Betsy Crowfoot, my friend and co-worker of many years, her as skipper and me as her first mate, we welcomed seven women guests aboard for a fun week-long charter. With this all-girl crew, the boat was quickly renamed Endless Estrogen! Our guests’ experience ranged from minimal sailing experience to long-distance cruisers and racers and everything in-between. Several of the ladies knew each other but for others, it was a time to meet new friends. Our plan was to start each morning early, get in some sailing, find an anchorage or mooring around mid-day, then spend the rest of the day snorkeling, relaxing and visiting any bar, restaurant or resort within dinghy range. With just seven days on board, we wanted to make the most of our time, without pushing ourselves to cover a lot of area.

Rule of Law Index ranks Costa Rica, Barbados and Antigua-Barbuda highest in region
The latest World Justice Project (WJP) Rule of Law Index was published last week and includes 22 countries in the wider Caribbean in its expanded coverage of 113 countries and jurisdictions (from 102 in 2015), relying on more than 100,000 household and expert surveys to measure how the rule of law is experienced in practical, everyday situations by the general public worldwide. Performance is measured using 44 indicators across eight primary rule of law factors, each of which is scored and ranked globally and against regional and income peers: constraints on government powers, absence of corruption, open government, fundamental rights, order and security, regulatory enforcement, civil justice, and criminal justice. The WJP Rule of Law Index is the most comprehensive index of its kind and the only one to rely solely on primary data. The Index’s scores are built from the assessments of local residents (1,000 respondents per country) and local legal experts, ensuring that the findings reflect the conditions experienced by the population, including marginalized sectors of society.

Videos

• Morning Matters with Mr. Smart, 68min.

• Biking into Town, San Pedro, Belize, 5min. Biking adventure into the town of San Pedro, Belize. Cierra and Johnny riding into town.

• Fun times at Crazy Canucks on Sunday Funday. San Pedro Belize, 30sec. Rob the owner singing Beastie boys Fight for your right. Crazy Canucks at San Pedro, Belize.

• Donna & Ed's Birthday Party - Belize, 4min.

• Road trip to Placencia, Belize, 3min.

• Poetry from Chino in Placencia, Belize, 4.5min.

• Sunday Afternoon in Corozal Town, Belize, 5min.

• #1 Arriving in Belize, Part 1 - 2-23-16 Day 8, 8.5min. We arrive in Belize, shop for a bit and then take a tour of Belize City.

• #2 Belize City, Belize, Part 2 - 2-23-16 Day 8, 10min. We take a walk into Belize City to see some of the town Including a Cathedral and then take a cab to the Baron Bliss Lighthouse and back to our ship.

• Harpy Eagle Hunter., 1min. The harpy eagle's talons can be as big as a grizzly bear's claws.