FOR TODAY'S BELIZE WEATHER, CLICK HERE

Click for our Daily Tropical Weather Report.

Specials and Events

Last night's TV news on Channel 7, Channel 5, LOVETV, PGTV, West Vision (Cayo) and CTV 3. Also with the most recent Open Your Eyes, Rise and Shine Morning Show, and the Dickie Bradley Specials

The San Pedro Sun

Wolfe’s Woofer: Car Sick
“I hope we have everything,” Sherry said. “On a Mexican bus I always worry that they will lose our suitcases.” “We’ll be fine,” I told her. We boarded the bus in Chetumal, Mexico for a six-hour ride to Cancun. Across the aisle from me a well dressed but angry looking American straightened his tie and said, “I wish this bus would get going. I’m going to be drunk by the time we get there.” He offered to pour me some Jack Daniels whiskey from his pint bottle but I had to turn it down. “I can’t catch a direct flight to Cancun this morning,” he told me. “I hate having to spend six hours on a bus.” A dried up little old Mexican man took the aisle seat next to him and said, “Buenos Dias. Buenos Dias,” to everyone. The big man fell asleep almost immediately. Just before we got to Tulum, Sherry nudged me and said, “P-s-s-s-t.” When I turned to look the little Mexican was turning a nice green color. He struggled to get out of his seat and then he could hold it no more. “Bl-e-c-ch-h-h!”

MOH & BTB protecting tourists from Zika
The Ministry of Health (MOH) and the Belize Tourism Board (BTB) have partnered with the Caribbean Public Health Agency (CARPHA) to protect visitors from the scourge of Zika and other diseases like Chikungunya and H1N1, by launching the Belize Tourism and Health Program at the Radisson Fort George Hotel last Friday morning, October 21st. Minister of Health Hon. Pablo Marin cited that protecting the health of Belizean tourism staff was key to the continued success of the industry, which is all important to the country’s economy. Equally important is to ensure the health of tourists that they may enjoy their stay in Belize without contracting any illness, nor introducing any infectious virus to Belize.

Doctor Love: No Ex’s and No Fleas
Dear Doctor Love, My fiancé and I have been engaged for six months after dating for a year. We are getting married in June but he still keeps in touch with a few female friends, a couple of whom he has dated. He is friends with them on Facebook and even has had lunch with one of them once since our engagement, which he told me about immediately. I know I am being unreasonable but I get jealous and insecure even when I try not to. Shouldn’t he stop these friendships now that he has me? /s/No Ex’s

Misc Belizean Sourcesmzz

Halloween Events in San Pedro
Here are the upcoming fun Halloween events this week~ Thurs. & Fri. 6-9pm Haunted House at Wayo's, Benefits Food Bank, Hope Haven, Kid's Club & Literacy Program Fri. 7pm Trivia for Red Cross at Crazy Canuck's~ dress in costume to support Red Cross Sat. 9pm- 4am Holiday Hotel Halloween Party $15. (They say no charge if your costume is good enough!) Sunday 11am Saga Halloween Party ~ dress your pup up!! Mon. 5pm-9pm Black Orchid 5th Annual Halloween Social ~ for kids & adults Candy for the kids, drink specials for adults in costume, or come as you are, but be there or be square!!!

Saga Humane Society Halloween costume party at Carlo & Ernie's Runway Bar!

Congratulations to Leonel Millian (La Viuda de Blanco) for winning the Top Prize at this year's Holiday Hotel's Halloween Party!

Amazing photos and video of breeding manatees! Don't see that everyday, and yeah for more babies!
Started our day early! Received a message from Wildtracks to assess a situation with a possible injured manatee in the Maya Beach area. Good news! Not an injured manatee but a breeding herd of manatees right by the shoreline! It was quite an amazing sight and learning experience for us all!

Map: areas protected from oil drilling
Here's a scary sight: All the areas in light to dark blue (approximately 85% of our marine area) would be open to oil concessions if the Government of Belize legislates to protect only the areas shaded in red (the Belize Barrier Reef and World Heritage Sites). This is why Belizeans deserve to have a clear, legislated position on offshore oil; laws are more difficult to change than policies. The position on offshore oil should be law.

Miss World Belize Setup
Pictures from the setting up of Miss World Belize, which was last Saturday at the Log Cab-Inns. Panerrifix setting up, and playing multiple songs was the highlight, and the drinks and appetizers were top notch. Belize Mixology did a great job. The 501 Boyz got the pageant pictures.

Expofer in Chetumal
Gave Belize mucho amor! We saw an estimated 400-500 people at the booth on both Friday and Saturday! We showcased Unique Belize products as well as cultural and tourism info!

What sheer joy looks like!
Our Belizean artists wowed the crowd at Belize Night at Expofer in Chetumal on Saturday...

Disaster Relief Warehouse and Emergency Operations Center
"This project will undoubtedly help save Belizean lives," noted Ambassador Moreno as he handed over a Disaster Relief Warehouse and Emergency Operations Center, valued at USD $1.5 million, to the Government and people of Belize. The handover ceremony took place in Toledo on Friday, October 28. These facilities are the first of their kind in the Toledo District and represent the U.S. Government's and USSOUTHCOM's continued commitment to Belize in the field of humanitarian assistance. The warehouse and operations center will enable NEMO to effectively coordinate disaster response, provide relief efforts and deliver timely assistance to the people of Belize, especially in remote areas.

The Reporter

Man dead in hit and run on George Price Highway
Belmopan police are investigating a fatal hit and run road traffic accident on the George Price highway, which happened this morning. Police say that at around 1:09 a.m., they found the lifeless body of 50-year-old Damian Anastacio about 15 feet off the road near mile 46. Anastacio, a laborer of San Ignacio town, had multiple head and body injures. Police explained that Anastacio was walking on the side of the road in Armenia Village when he was knocked down and killed by a vehicle which fled the scene. Police transported the body to the Western Regional Hospital and are seeking the public’s assistance with the investigation.

Accident on Boom/Hattieville road
There was an accident on the Boom/Hattieville road near Gentleville. The incident happened shortly after 10:00 this morning.

Murder in Belize City
A Belize City man is dead and another is injured after an evening shooting on the south side. Thirty-seven-year-old George “Jaro” Young was shot multiple times by a lone shooter at around 5:30 p.m., while he was at the Buck’s barbershop at the corner of South Creek and Muhammad Ali Street. The gunman also shot 18-year-old Abraham Craig multiple times. Authorities took both men to the Karl Heusner Memorial Hospital, where they pronounced young dead on arrival. Craig is listed in critical condition. Officer commanding the south side of Police Eastern Division, Assistant Commissioner of Police Chester Williams, explained that though investigations were preliminary, police have detained one person in connection with the shooting.

Breaking Belize NewsPJ

Teenager commits suicide in Santa Familia
Reports reaching our newsroom is that a sixteen year old girl from Santa Familia village in the Cayo District has committed suicide. The report has been confirmed by family members. The teenager was found hanging in her room this afternoon by her siblings. Police […]

Motorcycle accident in Santa Cruz, Stann Creek
Reports reaching our newsroom is of a traffic accident involving a motorcycle and a bicycle near the Uno Gas station in Santa Cruz Village in the Stann Creek district. Two men are seriously injured and still on the scene waiting for the ambulance. BBN will […]

Captain Morgan avoids shut down
Deputy Executive Office for the Coastal Executive Unit, Assistant Superintendent Henry Jemmott told the San Pedro Sun that police “assisted the Department of Environment (DOE) to shut down Captain Morgan’s Retreat, located three and a half miles North of San Pedro Town, entire operations […]

Major accident on Burrell Boom road
A collision between a Chevy Trailblazer and a heavy duty truck travelling in the opposite direction occurred this morning on the Boom road. The Chevy trailblazer was traveling towards the Boom junction on the Northern Highway and the heavy duty truck was travelling in […]

Trial Farm man murdered
Orange Walk police responded to a fight in progress last night in Trial Farm. Four men were reportedly beating another man. However, when police arrived on the scene they found one man dead with an apparent stab wound to the chest. Police are yet […]

UDP operative pulls licensed gun on PUP operative
A Belmopan UDP operative allegedly pulled a licensed gun on a PUP Caribbean Shores operative in a club on North side Belize City early this morning. One of the men was reportedly detained by police and released this morning. © 2016, www.breakingbelizenews.com. This article […]

Minor who fled hostel shot by cops.
A male minor who had fled detention from the Hostel facility in Hattieville was shot by police lastnight. According to police information, the minor was shot once to the knee and apprehended. According to reports, he is receiving medical attention and is in a […]

San Ignacio man killed in road accident
On Saturday afternoon at around 1:09 p.m. police responded to a road traffic accident at mile 46 on the Hummingbird Highway. Upon arrival about 15 feet off the highway, police observed the motionless body of a Hispanic decent male person lying face down with […]

Man murdered while getting hair cut
George Young, 37, was shot multiples times while getting a hair cut in a barber shop at the corner of South Creek and Muhamad Ali Street. According tonpolice reports the incident occured at around 5:30 p.m. yesterday when a lone gun man entered the […]

Blogs

Halloween Madness At the Holiday Hotel: Party of the Year
Every year, the entire town (almost) dudes and dolls up for Halloween and heads to the HUGE red carpet event and late night party at the Holiday Hotel. Ben of Truck Stop – I am still not convinced that this isn’t a real dog’s head. And his wife Joanna’s! I…have never done it! Never been. My last days of partying for Halloween looked something like this. (I mostly love these photos because my little brother – age 42 – has the best costumes.) But here are some fabulous pictures that were taken while I was fast asleep. I partied last night by having pancakes for dinner. Crazy…I know. These are borrowed from Dr. Sam – our awesome vet at SAGA Humane Society. She also writes a beautiful blog (the last post is heartbreaking – but man are we are so lucky to have her).

Shot To The Head
I was up early for my run, part of my training for a half marathon later this year in Placencia, Belize. Distance running is not popular here, and I think most Belizeans wonder if someone is actually chasing me down the dirt road south. Sitting at the kitchen counter I had just finished my breakfast and was slowly getting ready for my day. The phone rang, always a bad sign, I did not know the number. As I answered I could hear noise in the background and a soft voice saying, “Dr Sam? Dr Sam?”. I knew immediately it was Merari, our young front desk lady at Saga. “You have an emergency”, she said. There are not many times that I get called to work in the morning before I am supposed to start, most things can wait until I arrive for the day. I inquired to Merari what the issue was. I couldn’t quite understand at first but thought I heard the words “shot” and “head”. I asked her to repeat herself, “They shot him in the head.”, was all I heard. I asked her if the dog was alive, she sat the phone down for a minute to double check, indeed yes. I told her to put pressure on the wounds with a towel, find Ingrid (our technician) NOW, and I’d be there soon.

International Sourcesizz

New WestJet Belize Flights Begin Service
Canadian carrier WestJet has begun its new nonstop flights to Belize. The carrier began operating its flights from Toronto Pearson International Airport to Belize City on Saturday. “Leaving Canada and hitting the beaches in Belize by mid-day is something that Canadian travellers are not used to and we have absolutely changed the game with our twice-weekly service from Toronto,” said Bob Cummings, WestJet Executive Vice-President, Commercial. “I extend a big thanks to our WestJet team, the Minister of Tourism and Civil Aviation as well as the Belize Tourism Board for their support in the creation of this significant route. To our guests this morning, we say, “Gud maanin,” and welcome aboard. We look forward to offering both Canadians and Belizeans the chance to experience WestJet’s low fare, high care service over the winter months.” Belize becomes WestJet’s 21st destination in the Caribbean and third in Central America.

Cancer patient travels from Belize to Enterprise for treatment
Austin Armstrong of Cayo, Belize, said he was lost after his sister passed away from cancer at the beginning of December, and then received his own diagnosis of prostate cancer later that same month. It wasn’t until Stokes offered his services that he felt relief.
In the United States, almost every citizen has known someone affected by cancer, and according to cancer.gov an estimated 1,685,210 new cases of cancer will be diagnosed this year. While that number is staggering, numerous cancer patients will seek and receive various treatments from clinics and oncologists across the country. However, for the people of Belize, that is not an option. With no health insurance, cancer centers or trained radiation oncologists, the citizens of Belize are forced to travel to the neighboring countries of Guatemala and Mexico to seek help, which for many is a journey they cannot make financially or physically.

Videos

• When Belizeans throw down bruk pocket birthday party, 5min. A little reason why if you throw a party make sure you can afford a party. This is pure humor from a Belizean in case you have a few minutes to burn.

• Family Vacation to Belize, 3min. Family Vacation to Belize: San Pedro Island snorkeling, Caye Chapel Golf, Orange Walk Town, Lamanai Ruins, Belize Zoo

• Belize Dive Trip 2016 HD, 7.5min. Belize dive trip may 2016

• Belize, 9min.

• Belize City Carnival September 11, 2010 (Part 2), 25min. I filmed everything from beginning to end as it happened

• Family of 9 Vacation to Belize, 3min. San Pedro, Caye Chapel Golf, Snorkeling, Orange Walk Town, Lamanai Ruins, Belize Zoo, July 2013.

• Belize Spring Break, 4min.

• Belize The Hype, 4.5min. Trip to Belize 2016!

• Belize Trip 2017, 6min.

• Belize 2016 14 David and the sharks, 2min.

• Belize 2016 Petting nurse sharks feeding, 1.5min. This video will demonstrate how harmless nurse sharks are. They will bite if you get your hand in front of them. They remind me of petting puppies.