Henry Jemmoth

There have been four murders in the prime tourism island of San Pedro in the month of October; three occurred last week alone. It is cause for concern to law enforcement since citizen’s security is clearly at stake and tourism can be impacted negatively. On Monday, Assistant Superintendent Henry Jemmoth said that police are fighting crime with a two prong approach to ensure that safety is restored at La Isla Bonita.

ASP Henry Jemmoth, Acting O.C., San Pedro Police

“Well, residents from the island I knowthat they have known me as the Deputy and the person in charge of operations. All it will do is to bring more emphasis and encouragement upon what I need to do. I understand what I need to get done. I will be at the helm and with the support of the Commissioner and the Police Department and the Minister, I will push forward in dealing with every issue possible and have San Pedro return back to normalcy and have San Pedro looking like a peaceful place again.”

Andrea Polanco

“Are there specific areas that you will perhaps be focusing on for the next couple of months?”

ASP Henry Jemmoth

“We will; the entire island. Our operational detail will include the entire island. I will not specify what we will be doing in those areas but it will be a two prong based; it will be community policing and it will be hard operation geared at the criminals. So, they will have to be on their guard because we are coming and we are coming to deal with these issues.”

Andrea Polanco

“Is there perhaps a bigger plan and a time line of perhaps when people can see some kinda difference because it seems to just be ongoing; these shootings and murders and ultimately people are looking at it because it is going to affect the tourism here on this island?”

ASP Henry Jemmoth

“Yes. It will affect the tourism. But I need to tell you as well that the tourism aspect, no tourist is being targeted. For the period that we have noticed, I have been here for the past two years and is that the instances are happening between suspected peddlers and persons of different families who have feuds within the community. I assure the public that the tourist and people who come from across the country could still come to San Pedro and have a wonderful time. We have seen a spike. The whole country has seen a spike in violent activities but San Pedro and San Pedro Police Officers remain steadfast that we will continue to uphold the law and deal with these persons who are breaking the law.”

Andrea Polanco

“Now, sir you spoke of the different law enforcement arms that are here dealing with this; is there a wider inclusion of perhaps other bodies that you are working with on the island to fight this?”

ASP Henry Jemmoth

“Yes. Yes. I have spoken with the Mayor of San Pedro and one of the efforts that we are putting in, a joint effort, is that he will be putting in a police booth in the area and also I have talked to B.E.L. because the area is not properly lit. They have come on board as well. We are doing it as tri-party; the Police, the Town Council, and B.E.L.  We would love to have more patrols within the area but I need to think about the safety of my officers so that they can see what is going so that they can patrol it effectively and deal with the issues there.”

Channel 5