Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
M
MikeM Offline OP
OP Offline
M
On a recent trip back to the states I contacted San Pedro High School asking if they were in need of supplies which might be difficult / expensive to aquire in Belize.

What I've learned is that there are more than 600 students at SPHS, the vast majority without calculators for math classes. The school is in need of Texas Insturments TI-30XA calculators, they can be found at any office supply store such as a Staples or Office Max or on Amazon prices range from $9 - $11.

To date I've donated 50 calculators and I've asked my visitors from the states to consider bringing more. SPHS also provided a letter to be shown at customs asking for consideration on duty fees based on the goods being a donation - it was extremely helpful.

If your interested in providing these specific calculators in new condition to SPHS please leave me a PM so we can coordinate the donations.
Thanks

MikeM
I must be a dinosaur. Learning math via calculator?!!! I thought adding, subtracting etc were skills unto themselves.

Since posting above, I have learned that indeed I am a dinosaur!

Last edited by Diane Campbell; 11/02/16 08:43 AM. Reason: Being a dinosaur
F
F
MikeM- I'll be traveling to Ambergris Caye for my first of many trips (Hopefully) for a few days in late November. I'm planning on getting at least 5-10 calculators myself. I work at a private school in Texas and I'm talking with our community service department about helping out. I'll keep you posted.

I will be back on December 12th... If you haven't reached the goal by the first week in December, send me a PM and I'll bring down any balance.

A little known fact... Women who are overweight tend to live longer than men who mention it...
K
K
dont the cell phones have them or am I being too usa?

N
N
Most people here (especially kids) don't have smart phones. Just phone phones. Even on my iPhone the calculator wont do the advanced functions that are usually required in maths classes. I don't think that in school they use them for just basic addition, multiplication and division.

F
F
Well I've e-mailed the Principal, Vice Principal and Head of the Math Dept. at SPHS a couple times and haven't heard anything back. I was hoping to have some details by this afternoon to present to our community service board at the school where I work. Guess I'll hold off until I hear something from the school.

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 288 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.