Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Topic Options
#518800 - 11/08/16 10:45 AM Police Officers and the 12-hour vs 9-hour Shifts
Marty Offline

On several occasions comments have been made on the salaries and working conditions as well as the resources that often times have proven insufficient for police officers to perform their duties. Love News has learnt that while the officers attached to the Eastern Division South have recently been placed on 9-hour shifts, the powers that be in Belmopan are looking to put back the officers on a 12-hour rotation. It is a long drag for officers who are on foot patrol or those who are dealing with hot spots in the city and with that we were asked by a couple of officers if we could look into the situation. We visited a few of the key locations around the city and spoke to several policemen and women who explained that the 12-hour shift does take a toll on them particularly for those who are forced to commute to other districts. Grace Flowers has lived in the Rocky Road area for the last fifty plus years. She spoke with us today on her observations of the officers who are stationed near her home.

GRACE FLOWERS

“I think the 12 hour shift is too long for anybody out here to be working because after a while especially the night shift the officers will get tired and sleepy and for their own safety they need to focus. So I think with them changing the shift back as normal that is the better thing for them to do. The higher ups are in their beds and these police are taking their licks out here. I am right here I see when it’s raining this tent is blowing away those police get wet and all kinds of things occur. Those officers really take a beating out here. They need to raise their pay, if the GSU can be getting $500 on the side I don’t know why the regular officers can’t get a raise, commissioner please look into that. The next thing, the briefing a lot of the officers talk to me and they have a problem with that half an hour briefing in the morning and evening. If they brief them in the morning I don’t think they have to do it again at night. They could brief them the following day when they get back to their regular shift. They are taking an hour out of their time when they should be at home with their families. Mr.Wylie its best we stick to the 8 hour shift because the last time when the BDF were patrolling with the police and they were working out here a big gun went missing and nobody from the area took that gun but we took the lick because they got and searched everybody’s area and the gun ended up all the way in Kraal Road so please don’t leave these men working those long hours.”

Flowers says that overall she is very much satisfied that the officers are in the area on a regular basis.

GRACE FLOWERS

“We don’t have any problems with the police presence in this area because first we couldn’t even come out on the street side when the war was happening. Only if you are doing illegal things then you will have a problem with the police in the area. We feel well secure that the police are in the area right now.”

RENEE TRUJILLO

“They man this area 24/7?”

GRACE FLOWERS

“Yes. We know that it stops the criminals from coming around here because we used to have problems and with their presence we could live peacefully now. First we couldn’t walk and go to the shop because you would hear gunshots but now everything is normal since Mr.Williams has taken over and is dealing with us. We try to communicate with the officers every so often. I personally have a good relationship with them. If I see something going wrong I try to correct it and I look out for my officers.”

Flowers went on to make her personal plea to the Commissioner of Police, Allen Whylie on behalf of the officers.

GRACE FLOWERS

“I would like to ask the Commissioner to please put a better tent out here for the police because many days I watch them get wet sometimes I offer them to come and shelter in my yard but they can’t move because if their supervisor comes and see them out of place they could get in problem. I try to treat our officers good because only that way we will get good out of them. If the set that we have working out here they try really hard to get along with the people that are in their neighborhood we don’t have problems with them so look out for them, we will look out for them too.”

Love News also ventured into the Supal Street area of the city and spoke with a resident on her views, not only about the working hours but as well as her sentiment on having a constant police presence in her area.

CITY RESIDENT

“I feel more secure and right now I don’t really know if any neighborhood is really safe but with the police presence you feel a little bit better. It’s unfair for someone to work 12 hours that is a very long shift after a certain amount of hours you will need a break. I think eight hours is enough.”

While the police officers were unable to speak to us on record due to possible ramifications from the department, several of them spoke of their preference for the 9-hour shift where they would work six consecutive days followed by two days off. Three police officers who commute from Belize City to another district told us that they would rather the 12-hour shift where they work for nine consecutive days followed by three days off. When asked about their alternatives to commuting, we were told that the accommodations at Eastern Division North are for those attached to that precinct and that the three hundred dollar monthly allowance would only cover bus fares for the commute.

LOVEFM

#518828 - 11/09/16 11:10 AM Re: Police Officers and the 12-hour vs 9-hour Shifts [Re: Marty]
Marty Offline

ACP Chester Put On Leave By Compol, Brought Back By Minister

Tonight Assistant Commissioner of Police Chester Williams is back in the Commander's Chair after suddenly being placed on administrative leave yesterday evening.

Reports from junior officers on the southside tell us that Commissioner Allen Whylie ordered Williams to hand over command to his second, Senior Superintendent Alden Dawson and go immediately on Administrative Leave. What did he do to earn such a swift and stern come uppance? Well it's that very same dispute we told you about last night: Williams switched his officers over to an eight hour shift - without first getting approval from the Commissioner. The commissioner demanded that he revert to the 12 hour shift immediately - and when Williams didn't, he was placed on leave, forthwith.

Well, today all sides were called to Belmopan to meet with Minister of State with responsibility for police Elodio Aragon and CEO George Lovell. We understand that the administrative issues were thrashed out and a resolution was arrived at. A brief press release issued this evening says, quote, "after a meeting with the administration, including Commissioner of Police Allen Whylie, ACP Chester Williams, CEO Lovell and Minister Aragon, (the internal administrative) issues have since been resolved.

The release doesn't say much more but we have confirmed that Williams has been taken off administrative leave, and is back on active duty, though he could not be reached for comment.

Either way, It's a major vindication for Williams because the bottom line on this one is that we understand that the eight-hour shift will remain in place on the Southside - as a sort of study to see if it is more efficient than the 12 hours shifts which will continue to be used on the northside and in Belize rural.

And while ACP Williams was strangely unavailable this evening, we do expect to hear from him tomorrow when he dons his lawyer's robe and appears in court to present the prosecution's case in the William Danny Mason court proceedings.

Former Police Minister Supports Eight Hour Shift

So, the new Police Minister Aragon has taken a wait and see approach with the eight hour shift, and the former minister Godwin Hulse felt much the same. Hulse only held the portfolio for a few weeks, but said there is wisdom in eight hours instead of 12:...

Hon. Godwin Hulse, Former Minister of Home Affairs
"The more officers you get clearly and I think you are referring to overtime payment and that sort of thing. People get tired you know and people need jobs. So you can't have one or two persons making a continuous amount of overtime when other people need jobs and you have other people that you can place. That not only applies to police, that applies to everything in general."

Channel 7

#518853 - 11/09/16 09:26 PM Re: Police Officers and the 12-hour vs 9-hour Shifts [Re: Marty]
Amanda Syme Offline
I am in support of this move and applaud ACP Williams for standing up for this principal.

Links
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker
Chronicles

PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 26 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,672 Registered Members
44 Forums
64,021 Topics
462,212 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.