Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
K
kaptain Offline OP
OP Offline
K
I am looking to buy a lot or house near beach, I wonder someone can share some opinions which location might be a better buy. East side or west side? The east side appears much more populated, do people actually prefer the east side?

The east side is the Caribbean. People generally place a higher value on seafront property with a Caribbean view. The west side is the lagoon. It has its own particular kind of beauty that many people prefer, but fewer services in some areas and not always a great sea breeze, so mosquitoes can be a problem.

www.conchcreative.com
Belize Wedding Photography

K
K
east side is more desirable as it faces the ocean and more expensive. west side faces the mainland and is more marshy but cheaper. have someone show you how to use gmaps.

The island is 26 miles long so that is at least 52 miles of water frontage - please come and visit and find out whether you are an east coast, west coast, north or south of the bridge kinda guy!

T
T
one nine thing about lagoon is it more sheltered when the hurricane comes

East side is much prefered and could cost you up 200,000. more. that should clue you to the difference.
The backside of the island (west coast) is lower marshland with all the problems that incurs and faces the bay instead of the Barrier Reef. Several large subdivisions back there advertize it as desirable and affordable but in my opinion they have little to no chance of ever getting city services such as water or sewage and your living in a swamp. The East coast is populated with nice houses in an old coconut grove with slightly higher elevation. The North South aspects are divided by a river with bridge that separates town from country style living.

White Sands Dive Shop
https://whitesandsdiveshop.com/
Originally Posted by tazh2o
one nine thing about lagoon is it more sheltered when the hurricane comes

Not so. We learned that big time in Keith. Hurricanes have a circular rotation. The wind can come from the back as easily as the front depending on the location of the storm.
The big surge came in from the back. Most of the boats on the lagoon side ended up out to sea or in a pile on the soccer field, airstrip, etc.

J
J
Love living ACROSS the street from the ocean front..... 1/2 the cost, we were protected from Earl, only 2 coconut frons down in our yard after the hurricane - pros & cons from both locations

Much of the island is very narrow. Beach front is expensive and needs to be cleaned and raked daily. I live 2nd row back (that is there are 2 lots between me and the beach). My house is 3 stories and we get a good breeze from the beach on the 2nd and 3d floor - not so on ground level. There is only the road and one lot between me and the lagoon so - depending on the neighbors trees - we get a sunset view as well as sunrise.

Personally, I don't want beach front - too much work. AND - everyone has the right to walk through your property. And just like the USA and especially California, east and west are two different worlds.

To each his own and thankfully we don't all want to live on the same lot. As Amanda said - some down - look around and talk to A LOT OF PEOPLE!

Harriette
Take only pictures leave only bubbles
Personally I moved here to be on the beach. Oh my god. It's heaven.

As for Harriette's comment about people "walking through your property", that's not quite right. There is a beach reserve for public passage along the seafront. Some old property titles run all the way to the water and in that case yes, people can pass along the shoreline on what you may "own". In newer subdivisions of land, the front lot line is generally pulled well back from the sea. People don't have the right to actually go up into where your house is nor to cut through to road etc. That being said, I do from time to time find people in my yard but that is just bad manners, not a legal right.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 312 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.