Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Topic Options
#519199 - 11/22/16 07:02 AM Today's Belize News: November 22, 2016
Marty Offline

FOR TODAY'S BELIZE WEATHER, CLICK HERE

Click for our Daily Tropical Weather Report.

Specials and Events

Last night's TV news on Channel 7, Channel 5, LOVETV, PGTV, West Vision (Cayo) and CTV 3. Also with the most recent Open Your Eyes, Rise and Shine Morning Show, and the Dickie Bradley Specials

The San Pedro Sun

Acquafino Resort donates to Miss World Belize Iris Salguero
President of Acquafino Island Resort and Spa, William Narod, made a donation of $500 to Miss World Belize 2016-2017 and former Miss San Pedro 2015-2016, Iris Salguero on Thursday, November 17th. Salguero has been rigorously preparing to compete in the ‘Miss World Pageant’ on December 18, 2016. The competition will take place in Washington D.C, USA at the Gaylord National Resort & Convention Centre, where current Miss World, Mireia Lalaguna of Spain, will crown her new successor. Salguero thanked Narod for his donation. “I feel really grateful and thankful because anything I get that will help me is appreciated. It has been a just a month since I won Miss World Belize and I haven’t had much time to prepare. It’s been really expensive when it comes to my wardrobe and travelling,” said Salguero.

Ambergris Caye celebrates Garifuna Settlement Day
Early in the morning of the 19th, the traditional ‘Yurumei’ took place; this is the re-enactment of the arrival of the Garifuna to Belize. The singing and drumming of the group could be heard clearly as they reached the beach via boats. Upon disembarking, the group marched towards to the San Pedro Roman Catholic Church for a mass of blessing. Shortly after, a parade took place through the main streets of San Pedro town. Many residents came out of their homes to take a look as the group paraded by singing and drumming. At 11AM traditional Garifuna food was available at the park for purchase. Many gathered to enjoy some delicious hudut, conch soup, tapou and even rice and beans. The celebration continued until late in the evening, when once again, Caribbean Kings and Punta Boys kept the music going and had everyone dancing.

Ambergris Today

Letters To The Editor: Life After Trump’s Election and What it Might Mean for Belize
There are many more questions raised than answered after the US Presidential election and what they will mean for Belize, the Belizean Diaspora and our neighbors in Central-America. Most of us in Belize have family over there. Many are there as ‘illegal aliens’ and many legal immigrants are considering to move back home because of the racism. At least one of my sons is talking about that. One of his best friends born in the US of ‘illegal immigrant’ parents is going through the nightmare of having to see his parents being shipped off back to Mexico who have-not been back there for 25 years. They were even trying to find out if they could legally adopt his father and mother to be able to stay together as a family. That sad reality is probably very real too for a lot of our Belizean family all over the USA. Can we now expect a lot of Belizeans returning home? And what will this mean for our society?

Signing of Maya 2020 Project Agreement for Belize
The Belize High Commission in London is pleased to announce the signing of an agreement between SELVANA Ltd, a UK-based company and Friends for Conservation and Development, a Belizean NGO, setting out the delivery of activity on the Maya 2020 project. The Maya 2020 Project is a collaboration between FCD and Selvana Ltd with the aim of supporting the sustainable forest conservation objectives of FCD as the only non–governmental organization with an assertive management presence in the park.

Misc Belizean Sourcesmzz

12-year-old Chelsea Lara missing
The San Pedro Police are seeking the public's assistance in locating a missing child here in San Pedro Town. 12-year-old Chelsea Lara, student of San Pedro Roman Catholic school left home yesterday (Sunday, November 20th) and has not been seen yet. Anyone with information on her whereabouts is to contact the police station at 206-2022.

Government of Belize Signs Letter of Agreement to Finalize USD $300,000 Readiness Grant with Green Climate Fund
Minister Omar Figueroa, as the Head of Belizean delegation and the Minister with responsibilities for Climate Change, met with the Green Climate Fund (GCF), represented by Mr. Ousseynou Nakoulima, Director of Country Programming on the occasion of the 22nd meeting of the Conference of Parties to the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change in Marrakech, Morocco to sign a letter of agreement to finalize a USD $300,000 Readiness Grant agreement between the Government of Belize (GOB) and the GCF. The Readiness Grant will allow the GOB to strengthen the capacity of its National Designation Authority, the liaison between the Fund and Government of Belize, as well as identify priority programs for funding from the GCF.

San Pedro Blood Drive
Saturday, November 26 at 9 AM - 3 PM. Dr. Otto Rodriguez Polyclinic II. *No appointment necessary For questions contact: or branchcoordinator.brcsp@gmail.com info.brcsp@gmail.com Before donating, rest, eat a good meal and drink healthy fluids. Refrain from any medications for 72 hours prior.

Rotaract Benque Visits Octavia Waight
The Benque Rotaractors teamed up with Ka'ana, and visited Ocatavia Waight Center to have some fun with the older generation. Thanks, Rotaract, and Ka'ana! "The Rotaract Club of Benque Viejo visited the elders at Octavia Waight Center on a conjoint project with KA’ANA Resort. The elders were given snacks and drinks, and members of the club also interacted with them by playing games, music, and ladies got their nails painted."

BELIZE FISHING REPORT, Weeks of Nov.6th – Nov. 12th, 2016
Grand Slam for Carolyn!! A lovely quiet week here at the lodge with some great folks taking advantage of the two for one prices (twofer promotion) this fall. Fishing is great, and the weather is great, why not!

Vehicle line to the Belize Mexico border
3 miles long queue at the Corozal, Santa Elena border.

El Dia de Finados
The San Pedro House of Culture held El Dia de Finados. It was a lovely night with prayers , hymes & the rosary. We were treated with lots of delicious food, desserts & drinks. Our departed ones were well honored.

Looking for a full time cashier to work at Rapidito Construction Depot
Minimum 6th form degree required, experience in computer systems, great customer service skills. Serious inquiries please contact 206-0083 to fill out an application and set up your interview

Ministry of Health Continues to Strengthen its Regulatory Functions in the Pharmaceutical Industry
In an ongoing effort to ensure that the highest quality of pharmaceuticals are available within the Belizean market, the Ministry of Health has introduced new standards which have been presented to the House of Representatives and are awaiting final approval to the Food and Drugs Act Chapter 291 of the substantive Laws of Belize. The Ministry is currently working with pharmacies and pharmaceutical wholesalers and importers in order for them to adhere to these standards. These are a part of a shared and agreed requirement done in partnership with providers on the granting of license that allows them to conduct this business under the law. The Ministry continues to work towards setting up Standard Operating Procedures and Monitoring and Evaluation Mechanisms that will allow for a functional Supply Chain Management System. The revised bill presented in August will allow the Ministry of Health to enforce firmer penalties on persons/businesses that are in contravention of the law.

SPTC donates to San Pedro Cancer Society
On Friday, November 18, 2016, Mayor Daniel Guerrero and Councilor Ruben Gonzalez presented a cheque of $3645.25 to the president of the San Pedro Cancer Society, Mr. Gonzalo Muñoz and its members, Miguel Perez, Lucy Muñoz and Alyssa Muñoz. The money presented to the San Pedro Cancer Society was from the Breast Cancer Awareness Walk/Run that was held on October 29 of this year. Thank you to everyone who participated in this event! Let's make it bigger next year!

Happy Garifuna Settlement Day 2016
Celebrations in San Pedro

Health screenings at the SPTC
The Washington University of Health and Science will be conducting free health screenings at the San Pedro Town Council. Stop on by to get checked. Below is the schedule: •Monday, Nov. 21, 3pm – 7pm •Saturday, Nov. 26, 10am – 12pm & 2pm – 4pm •Monday, Nov. 28, 3pm – 7pm •Saturday, Dec. 3, 10am - 12pm & 2pm - 4pm •Wednesday, Dec. 7, 10am – 4pm

LEADER OF THE OPPOSITION WRITES TO PM BARROW
John Briceno sent a letter to the PM to ask him to reconsider the Government's decision to deduct the salaries of teachers who participated in the BTNU strike. Briceno calls GOB's decision inconsiderate and disturbing.

Cayo Art Festival 2016
The 2016 Cayo Art Festival will be at the Cayo Welcome Center on Saturday, December 3rd. There will be fun for everyone, and quite a few cultural presentations. Cayo artisans will be there showing off their wares. There will be clowns and an art area to entertain the kids.

FCD Tracks Newsletter
Our No. 25th FCD Tracks Newsletter is available at FCD’s website: www.fcdbelize.org Thank you for the support.

Channel 7

Pay Pronto! Court Tells GOB To Pay The Strike Teachers
On Friday, we told you about the injunction that the Belize National Teachers Union was attempting to get against the Ministry of Education. They were trying to stop the Government from deducting money out of the November paycheck of 1,500 plus teachers who went on the 11-day strike in October. Well, even though those deductions are already finalized, the Chief Justice has granted that injunction against the Government. So, tonight, those strike teachers need not be worried about a "mawga" Christmas; they will get their full paycheck for November. This afternoon, the Chief Justice handed down his ruling in a private case management session in chambers. When the hearing was done, BNTU's attorney, Eamon Courtenay explained: Eamon Courtenay, attorney for BNTU: "The honorable Chief Justice handed down his decision a short while ago in which he granted the Belize National Teachers Union and Miss Guerra the injunction that we sought. He found that we had an arguable case and that there is a real likelihood that we will succeed at trial and he felt that the balance of conveyance was in favor of the teachers, that the teachers should not be denied the enjoyment of their Christmas, because the government has taken the very mean and, I would say decision, to attempt to process the payments and then to come to court and say to court that they can't pay it on time. CJ said that more people will be affected if they don't pay, that the people who have to do the overtime to correct the situation. So the teachers need to be paid and paid on time."

BNTU Not Ready To Work Holidays
So, while the litigation is about to start over who can dock the teachers' pay due to industrial action, the teachers union is also disagreeing with the Government's plan to make up the 11 days of lost classes. As we told you two weeks ago, the Ministry intends to cut this year's Christmas break short by 4 days. So, instead of classes resuming on January 9, students and teachers are being expected to show up on January 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th. For the Easter holiday, classes will continue into April 10th, and 11th. That's the method that the Ministry wants to employ to make up those lost school days. This evening, the BNTU President told us that, according to the Education Rules, the Ministry is not allowed to just arbitrarily take away teachers' holiday days. Here's how he explained it: Luke Palacio, President - BNTU: "The education rules are clear; the education rules says that the teachers of this country should be on vacation for the Christmas period, Easter period and in the month of July. So, again for the minister and his chief education officer to try and force our teachers to go to school on those days when they should be on holidays..."

BDF Volunteer Accused of Hit and Run Death In Libertad
A BDF Volunteer is accused of killing a man and driving off on Saturday night. 24 year old Norman Slusher, of San Roman Village has been slapped with five charges after he allegedly knocked down and killed a resident of San Narciso Village on Saturday night. Slusher was driving this Nissan Sentra with Orange Walk plates when he knocked down 39 year old Leonel Martinez who was walking down the highway around 6:30 on Saturday. Slusher did not stop to render aid but 36 hours later, he turned himself into the Police this morning. They charged him with Causing Death by Careless Conduct, Manslaughter by Negligence, Driving without due care and attention, failing to report an accident and failing to stop and render aid. Slusher goes to court tomorrow.

Police Capsize, Civilian Loses His Life
The hazards of police work led to a civilian drowning last week. Last week Thursday, a pair of southern police was headed to a Caye in the Stann Creek District to look for a murder suspect. Corporal Carlos Galvez, and PC David Mejia were joined by boat captain George Lopez and Linsford Locayo a security Guard - who was with his wife and their nine month old daughter. Nearing the Tobacco Caye Range, their boat was hit by a massive swell which caused it to capsize. All of the passengers were dashed out of the boat. The police Corporal managed to swim to get help, but when that help came, Locayo had disappeared. His body was not found until Saturday evening on the North-west end of the Tobacco Caye Range. A post mortem confirmed that he died from drowning. The suspect has still not been captured.

"Buen Fin" Causes 15K Rush To Border, Major Delays
This past weekend in Chetumal - and all over Mexico - retail stores observed what's known as "Buen Fin". It's sort of like the Mexican version of Black Friday - where there are once a year sales and deals at participating stores. So, naturally, Saturday being a holiday and all, many Belizeans made their run for the border to cash in on those deals. But…the thousands who travelled on Sunday ran into a major traffic jam - before they even got to the border. Traffic on the Belize side was backed up for miles, and for hours - some travellers report being stuck for over two hours.

Cruise Ship Blues Hit The South Early
Last week Thursday, Norwegian Cruise Line's multi-million dollar cruise port on Harvest Caye officially opened with the arrival of the Norwegian Dawn. Our news team gave you a long distance look at that opening, and the Government Press Office, which was the only media entity invited, provided an on-the-ground look of what the island getaway looks like today. So, Cruise Tourism has arrived in the south, and the Harvest Caye business pie is being shared up among the local tour operators. But one local operator in Big Falls village who had hoped to cash in, says he got cut out, and now Norwegian's choice contractor has taken his idea, and his location, leaving him with a bitter taste and a bum investment. It's the Cruise Tourism Blues, which we've heard from so many small operators over the years - as the multinational rolls through, gobbling up, or marginalizing everything in its way. Andrew Caliz has learned fast the ruthless rules of the cruise business and today he crystallized the moral of a story with no happy ending:...

Moreira For St. Margaret's Marijuana
Last week we told you about the 25 pounds of weed that Belmopan police got when they set chase after a Benque Viejo taxi. The cops had to chase the cab from Roaring Creek on the western Highway to St Margaret's on the Hummingbird. They got the weed but the driver and his passenger escaped. On Friday night, at 8:30 p.m. police found the alleged driver; he is 43-year-old Bryan Moreira of Chaa Creek Road, San Ignacio. He was arrested and charged for "Drug Trafficking" and has been remanded until January.

Bowers The Boxer Burnt Out In Blaze
For most of the 70s and 80s, Carlton Bowers was a celebrated welterweight boxer, and at one point, he was the Caribbean Junior Welterweight Champion, and even brought home a Bronze medal from the Central American Games in 1977. Bowers, who now sells paletas, lives on Red Bell Lane in Belize City, where on Friday night, his house burned down. We met Bowers at the site of his old home, where he told us about what happened. Carlton Bowers - House fire victim: "I went out for one of my friends to buy something, because she came to me and she drove to me and said "I heard your house is burning down back there" and then I came, and when I got here everything was already burned. The fire was already out, and I met the firemen, and they questioned me about the size of the house and different things." Alex Courtenay, 7News: "Do you think that this is an accident, or do you know of anybody who would maybe want to burn your house down or anything like that?" Carlton Bowers - House fire victim: "Well I would say probably an accident because I don't have any, what you call it? I don't have anybody that's against me, you know. There's nobody against me, it's an accidental thing or something like that."

Man Gets 10 Years Added To 14 Year Sentence
In April 2013, a police mobile patrol stopped and searched Joseph O'Brien when he detoured from the George Price Highway into the Lord Ridge Cemetery after seeing the vehicle coming towards him. Police found a rusty .38 caliber revolver with no ammunition and arrested and charged him for possession of a firearm without a gun license. Initially, he pleaded not guilty and got bail -but then he got sentenced to 14 years for the robbery of the Golden Corn Tortilla Factory in September 2013. So today - while serving that sentence he appeared in court again for the firearm where he changed his plea from not guilty to guilty. He was sentenced to 10 years in prison. O'Brien is to serve this sentence concurrently with his ongoing14 year sentence.

Shaquawn Sick Of Cops
Tonight, Belize City resident Shaquawn Almendarez continues to be aggrieved by a police search which he says amounts to police harassment. Now, if his name sounds familiar, it's because he and his family made the news 2 weeks ago after the K-9 unit and the South Side Strike Team found 8 ounces of marijuana in their Electric Avenue home. Since then, he says he has had visits from the Anti-Drug Unit, which he says were oppressive and demeaning. He visited our office last week Wednesday to say that the search happened earlier that day. He narrated the experience: Shaquawn Almendarez, Claims Police Harrassment: "This morning they came at my yard and they put cuff on me again and they came last week Tuesday and charged all of us for drug trafficking that they planted on us. They put the cuff one me and took me in my neighbor's yard and beat me with a shovel. They went and came back to my yard and continue to dig. They got a call that said there was a home invasion. Four police men came. They left for me and the other 2 went. I went into my house to use the bathroom. They went after me and broke down my door, pull me out and started to kick me and bring me back down stairs and they held me until the mobile came back."

Gender Based Violence, The Reality
Today the Office of the Special Envoy for Women and Children, the National Women's Commission and the UNDP, hosted the first student discussion of Gender Based Violence. The students discussed gender relations, and the widespread violations of human rights for victims of gender based violence. We spoke to two of the event's organizers, Special Envoy for Women and Children, Kim Simplis Barrow and Cynthia Williams, the Human Services Coordinator at the Women's Department, about the importance of the discussions. Kim Simplis-Barrow - Special Envoy for Women and Children: "Today was really wonderful day to really sit and listen to what these young students have to say and their perceptions of what gender based violence is. It was real, it was raw, to the point, in your face, and that's what we want. We want to know how much do they know, and how willing are they to be a part of the elimination of gender based violence. As you could see it was quite evident that they know a lot more than we thought that they knew. Obviously gender based violence is prominent in our society, and a lot of time we turn a blind eye, a lot of times we just pretend say it doesn't exists, it's not happening to me, and I think this society is ready speak up."

Trio Arson Investigation Could Implicate BDF Retiree
Last week we told you about the massive fire in Trio village where five homes were burnt down, and another hauled down in a deliberate and unapologetic act of destruction. The ruthless act was pulled off on Thursday by five men who showed up in a Mahindra pickup truck. They were allegedly acting on behalf of a Chinese landowner who had purchased the land where 5 farmers had been squatting, they claim for decades. Well, tonight Belize District police have reportedly caught one of the alleged arsonists. Reports tell 7News that he has told police just who was involved in the fire starting - and the list he gave includes a former high-ranking BDF officer who retired some years ago. We'll have more on this developing story tomorrow.

PM Pays Respect To Garinagu
All roads led to the culture capital in Dangriga for Settlement day on Saturday the 19th. For Prime Minister Dean Barrow - he has to also use the opportunity stock up on political capital since Dangriga has a UDP Mayor in Francis Humphreys and a UDP Area Representative in Frank "Pawpa" Mena. And more than just pay tribute to the Garinagu, the Prime Minister also gave a boost to the National Garifuna Council:... Rt. Hon. Dean Barrow, Prime Minister "Culture encompasses the greatest achievements of our planet. That it is what over the ages has lifted mankind and womankind from the status of animals. Accordingly Belize like every other ocuntry on earth is proud of its culture. And we have been particularly blessed in this regard, to have inherited, developed and perfected a culture that has many sources."

Taiwan Ambassador, A Percussive Plenipotentiary
And while the PM was doing the giving, the new Taiwanese Ambassador Charles Liu was also thanks for his contribution. That came in the form of solar powered lights for the Alejo Beni park. Area Rep Mena gave him the gift of a drum, and, no doubt, feeling the vibes of the day the Ambassador tried a thing!:...

More From Griga
And while the Ambassador showed some passion for the "primera" drum, he didn't have quite the finish to play to the accompany for the Jancunu dance that went along with the official ceremony. We leave you with that tonight, enjoy and join me back here tomorrow...

#519200 - 11/22/16 07:02 AM Re: Today's Belize News: November 22, 2016 [Re: Marty]
Marty Offline

Channel 5

Full Salaries for Teachers! But Will They Be in Time for Christmas?
A major decision was handed down this afternoon by the Chief Justice Kenneth Benjamin. The Belize National Teachers Union, led by President Luke Palacio and Adelaida Guerra, took the government [...]

Injunction Also Stops Ministry Plan to Make Up Lost Time from Strike
B.N.T.U. returns to court on December sixteenth, when it is expected that the substantive matter, a claim that the decision to deduct teachers’ salaries is unconstitutional, will be argued before [...]

Leader of the Opposition Issued Intervention in B.N.T.U. Struggle
Before the decision was handed down, Leader of the People’s United Party, John Briceño wrote to Prime Minister Dean Barrow asking him to reconsider the Government’s position on deducting from [...]

“Super” Bondholders Uneasy With “Unprecedented” Third Restructuring
The Prime Minister disclosed two weeks ago that the superbond is being renegotiated for the third time because the economy had underperformed. There were not much details available, but today, [...]

Missing-at-Sea; Security Guard Found Dead Near Tobacco Caye
A security guard went missing at sea after the boat he was traveling in capsized near Tobacco Caye. Around two-thirty p.m. last Thursday, a skiff transporting Corporal Carlos Galvez, Police [...]

Ernesto Vasquez Tells Of Run-In With Guat Navy; G.O.B. Tight-Lipped on SATIIM Intervention
The Guatemalan Armed Forces continue to operate freely in the area of the Sarstoon River, within Belizean territory. Ernesto Vasquez, who works out of the office of the Prime Minister [...]

Lit Candle Knocks Out Home of Ex-Boxing Champ Carlton Bowers
In the late 1970’s and 1980’s, Carlton Bowers was Belize’s welterweight boxing champion. He was a local hero and entertained hundreds in fights at the Bird’s Isle for many years. [...]

Police in Independence Chasing Clues in Trio Arson Caused by Land Dispute
Four men working for a company linked to a Chinese national are believed to be behind a massive arson last Thursday night in the tiny village of Trio, in the [...]

Arson Victim Says Police Are Source of Discouragement
Orlando Chan is one of the arson victims who told his stories to a Southern media house. Chan and other victims explained that they lived in the area for decades, [...]

2 Killed in Corozal, Stann Creek in Traffic Accidents
There were three traffic accidents reported over the weekend; two of them fatal to pedestrians. On Sunday night there was a hit and run in San Narciso Village, Corozal District. [...]

Jeffrey McDougal’s Attempted Murder Charge Dropped
Twenty-eight-year-old Jeffrey McDougal was freed of an attempted murder charge today.  When he appeared before Senior Magistrate Sharon Fraser, Taylor’s Alley resident Brandon Allen told the court that he has [...]

Special Envoy Says “Insensitive” Society Must Learn Compassion
In the past month and a half, we’ve reported on four children murdered in Belize City. Three children, eleven year old Aaron Gabourel, six year old Empress Hamilton and four [...]

B.T.V. Challenges Government to Protect Belizeans in Sarstoon
Following two recent incidents – the kidnap of Belizean fishermen and the menacing of patrols from the Sarstoon Temash Institute for Indigenous Management – the Belize Territorial Volunteers are calling [...]

Wil Maheia Urges Internationalization of Guatemalan Claim
The Territorial Volunteers are also calling for the further internationalization of the unfounded Guatemalan claim on Belize. Many have complained that Belize cannot count on the support it had at [...]

Students Unmask the Many Faces of Gender Based Violence in Discussion
Gender based violence is a major public health issue and one of the most widespread violations of human rights, but cases are highly unreported and victims continue to suffer in [...]

Garifuna Settlement Day in Dangriga: P.M. Gives to Garifuna Council
This past Saturday was Garifuna Settlement Day, celebrated annually on the nineteenth of November. It is a national tradition, as all of Belize pauses to celebrate with the Garifuna their [...]

Fire Service Prepares for Busy Christmas Season with Handy Tips
Garifuna Settlement Day leads right into the Christmas Holidays. The season is just a few weeks away and lights have started going up on houses and businesses. The Fire Service [...]

James Adderley Looks Into the World of Sports
Good evening, I’m James Adderley and this is Sports Monday.   {Feature on the weekend sporting activities….}

CTV3

BDF Volunteer Charged For Causing Fatal Traffic Accident
BDF Volunteer, 24 year old Norman Slusher, of San Roman Village has been slapped with five charges after he knocked down and killed a resident of San Narciso Village on Saturday night. Reports are that Slusher was driving this Nissan Sentra with Orange Walk license plates number C07232 when he knocked down 39 year old Leonel Martinez around 6:30 on November 19th. Slusher was walking along the highway when he was hit by the incoming vehicle. The victim who lives with Down-Syndrome had a habit of pushing a baby’s stroller through his yard and on the road side. But the case was a hit and run initially because Slusher did not stop following the accident and did not render aid, as expected Forty eight hours after the accident Slusher turned himself into the Police this morning and the Police, late this afternoon, charged him with 5 counts including Causing Death by Careless Conduct, Manslaughter by Negligence, Driving without due care and attention, failing to report an accident and failing to stop and render aid.

Victory For BNTU, Judge Rules In Their Favor
Representatives of the Belize National Teachers’ Union and the Ministry of Education were back in court this afternoon where Chief Justice Kenneth Benjamin handed down his decision to accept the application for an injunction made by the BNTU, which means that teachers are to be paid for the month of November. Eamon Courtney- Attorney for BNTU: “The honorable Chief Justice handed down his decision a short while ago in which he granted the Belize National Teacher’s Union and Mrs. Guerra the injunction that we sought he found that we have an arguable case and that there is a rare likelihood that we succeed at trial and he felt that the balance of convenience was in favor of the teachers, that the teachers should not be denied the enjoyment of their Christmas because the government has taken the very mean and scrutinize decision to attempt to process the payment and then to come to court and say to court that they can’t pay it on time he just said that more people will be affected if they don’t pay than the people who have to do the overtime to correct the situation so the teachers have to be paid and paid on time.”

Opposition Leader Asks PM To Intervene In Salary Deduction Scenario
As you heard, the Ministry of Education has to wait until the case is fully heard for salaries to be deducted, that is if the ruling is in their favor. While that will be one case that the nation will be monitoring, the Leader of the Opposition, Honorable John Briceno has written to the Prime Minister asking for his intervention in the matter. In the letter dated 21st November 2016, Briceno is asking the Prime Minister to reconsider government’s position on the deduction of salaries of teachers who participated in the recent BNTU strike action. Briceno sates and we quote “We find it very inconsiderate and disturbing that any Government would even consider withholding the salaries of our hard working teachers, more so the month before Christmas. Many Belizeans have expressed that executing such actions would not only reflect a Government that is unfair, but certainly callogous and coldhearted.”

BNTU Not In Agreement With Additional School Days
While the salaries of teachers who participated in the eleven day strike will not be docked in the end of November, following the Chief Justice’s decision in favor of BNTU which forced the Ministry of Education to wait until the case is fully heard for salaries to be docked, all indications are that teachers are not willing to accept the proposal made by the Ministry of Education to add six additional days to the academic year, during Christmas and Easter vacations to make up for the lost time. Luke Palacio – President of the Belize National Teachers Union: “The education rules are clear, the education rules says that the teachers of this country should be on vacation for the Christmas period, Easter period and in the month of July so again for the Minister and the Chief Education Officer to try and force our teachers to go to school on those days when they should be on holiday we are saying they should be on holiday and unless they can come with some justification as it relates to that matter our teachers are looking at that very seriously because we are entitled to our holidays and will make every effort to ensure that we take those days because it is by law it is not a decision arbitrary made by any minister or any Chief Education Officer.”

House Burnt Down In Libertad Village
There is a strange case of suspected arson in Libertad Village to report tonight. On Sunday evening, a small thatch house measuring about 8 feet by 10 feet in size, went ablaze and was completely destroyed. The house belonged to Cirilo Gomez, a seenager living in the community for over 15 years. Gomez was battling severe illness and passed away while being transported to the Corozal Community Hospital on Saturday. He had just been buried on Sunday afternoon, when a few hours later his house caught fire. Gomez was in his 70s and lived alone, we are told. He had no relatives in the community. His house was sitting on land privately owned, but he resided there with the permission of the land-owner.

Millions Of Dollars Spent Across The Border Over The Weekend
If we didn’t know any better, the images of long lines of vehicles heading to the northern border could appear like some kind of mass exile from Belize. But there was no human repatriation going on; what there was is BUEN FIN – an entire weekend when Mexican businesses offer hard-to-beat promotions to their customers. Those promotions were apparently significant enough to attract Belizeans by the thousands to the neighbouring city of Chetumal to make use of the deals. According to Immigration officials, some 15,000 Belizeans crossed the border, with some 12,000 heading directly to Chetumal to shop. That’s a major figure considering that 7,000 is what normally crosses the border on a normal basis. But while the numbers are shocking, the images of lines of cars to the border were the longest we’ve seen. Nearly four miles of cars, with Belizeans having to wait over two hours for their turn to cross the border and enter Chetumal.

LOVE FM

Government’s ‘Scrooge-Like Decision’ Thwarted by Chief Justice
Today Chief Justice Kenneth Benjamin ruled in favor of the teachers. Last week, attorney for the Belize National Teachers Union, Senior Counsel Eamon Courtenay filed an application for an injunction to stop government from withholding teachers’ salaries at the end of this month. The Ministry of Education had the intent to dock wages of teachers […]

BNTU President Will Fight to Get Full Holidays – No Make-Up Time
The strike that thousands of teachers participated in spanned eleven days. So for eleven days, most students were out of the classrooms and the curriculum was disrupted. The Ministry of Education made a proposal for six days to be added to the school calendar during Christmas and Easter vacations. This proposal was accepted by the […]

Briceno Writes to PM on His Callous and Cold-Hearted Government
As you heard at the top of our newscast, Chief Justice Kenneth Benjamin delivered his ruling on the injunction application filed last week on behalf of the Belize Teachers Union. His decision has signalled the way for a court hearing and for the teachers to receive their salaries in full until a final ruling is […]

Body of Boat Captain Retrieved in Southern Waters
The body of 39-year-old Linsford Joseph Locario was retrieved from the sea down south on Saturday. Locario went missing at sea when the boat he was in capsized last Thursday. Dangriga Police received information that a boat capsized about a mile away from the Tobacco Caye Range. Also in the boat at the time were […]

Coroner’s Inquest Pending in Hostel Fire Investigation
November 28, 2016 will mark one year since the tragic fire took place at the Youth Hostel resulting in the deaths of three young women. It is a case that enraged the communities and families as it had turned out to be an avoidable situation and one where systems were breached and as such the […]

Former Boxer Loses Home to Fire
Former Boxer, Carlton Bowers, needs your help tonight. His house on Red Bell Street off Western Avenue in Belize City was destroyed by fire on Friday night. Today when we encountered Bowers at the site where his house one stood, he told us that he lost everything. Hipolito Novelo reports. HIPOLITO NOVELO REPORTING “Fifty nine […]

Garifuna – A Culture of Richness and Vibrancy Says PM
The culture capital, Dangriga Town saw hundreds of Belizeans and visitors converge in its municipality over the weekend to celebrate the one hundred and eighty fourth year since the Garinagu arrived in Belize. Representatives of both main political parties were present for the celebration and for the official ceremony Prime Minister Dean Barrow spoke of […]

CEO and Special Envoy Express Regret Over Recent Deaths
Citizens from across the country were impacted last week when we reported on the shooting death of 7-year-old, Tyler Savery and the passing of two siblings, Ian Sambula Jr and Empress Hamilton who succumbed in the US while receiving treatment for burns to their bodies after being doused with gasoline and set on fire inside […]

Let’s Have the Talk of Double Standards, Domestic Violence and Sexual Harassment
Eight students from four high schools in Belize City took centre stage this afternoon at the Bliss Centre for the Performing Arts to have a discussion on gender based violence. It is an event organized primarily by the Office of the Special Envoy for Women and Children with assistance from other agencies. Mackeva Westby is the […]

Breaking the Cycle of Gender Inequalities
After listening to eight young men and women speak on gender based violence this afternoon and the challenges and hurdles that are faced daily we spoke with the Special Envoy for Women and Children, Kim Simplis-Barrow who had a message for the parents around the country. KIM SIMPLIS-BARROW ” One of the expert panelists at […]

Breaking Belize NewsPJ

Businessman jilted out of 30 grand
A business man of George Town in the Stann Creek District told police that $32,007 was withdrawn from his account without his knowledge or consent. On Friday morning the 45-year-old businessman visited the George Town police station and reported that on the 11th November […]

Cops clean up streets
Over the weekend police removed guns and drugs from the streets of the old capital. A 9mm chrome and black Taurus Pistol loaded with a black magazine containing six live 9mm GFL Luger brand of ammunition was found in the Lake Independence Area. A black […]

BNTU wins injunction
Chief Justice Kenneth Benjamin has ruled against the Ministry of Education and has ruled that teachers should receive their full salaries at the end of November. On Friday, attorney Eamon Courtenay representing the Belize National Teachers’ Union (BNTU) filed a suit against the Ministry, […]

Man charged for trafficking 1120 kilograms of Weed
On Sunday a Belmopan man was charged with drug trafficking. According to police reports, last Monday, the Belmopan Quick Response Team was conducting mobile patrol on the George Price Highway when they noticed a grey Mazda taxi heading towards Belmopan began speeding off towards […]

Decomposed body found on Garifuna Settlement Day
On November 19, 2016 ( Garifuna Settlement Day), the decomposing body of Dangriga resident, Linsford Joseph Locayo was recovered from the sea. Last Thursday at around 2 pm, Locayo, his common-law wife, their 9-month-old daughter, along with Corporal Carlos Galvez and PC David Mejia […]

“Belizean Beast” making a name in the NFL
Rakeem Nunez-Roches, the first Belizean born athlete to play in the American National Football League (NFL), is making a name for himself on the defensive end of the field. Nunez-Roches, a second-year defensive lineman for the Kansas City Chiefs, recently made his first appearance in […]

Belize gets US $300 thousand for climate change preparation
Belize was recently granted US $300,000 from the Green Climate Fund to help Belize prepare for the effects of climate change. According to a statement released from GOB, Minister with responsibilities for Climate Change, Omar Figueroa, met with the Green Climate Fund (GCF), […]

Let’s Make Belize Truly Independent
Belizeans have the fear of feeling like they can’t do things completely on their own. They depend on the government, on their leaders, on everybody but themselves. If they could end this dependency, they would have the power to reverse everything that […]

San Pedro girl reported missing
Since the start of 2016 we have reported on dozens of children gone missing. Sadly, today, another child has been reported missing. According to a police report from San Pedro, Chelsea Lara, 12, was last seen home yesterday, Sunday. The family is clueless as […]

Blogs

My New Weekly Newsletter: A Work in Progress
First let me tell you that this newsletter is a work in progress. I want it to be a recap of the week but also a look at the week and month ahead. Events not to be missed, a bit of trivia, a bit of new content and a word from my sponsors – specials, coupons and new offerings. Here is a look at the proto-type for this past week. And PLEASE let me know what else you would like to see. I am SO open to suggestions. If you would like to join my mailing list, just scroll down to the right. Just under my BRAGGING about being chosen to go to India this year.

Corozal Belize: The Perfect Blend For Everything
As one of the most popular vacation destinations in the world, Belize brings in visitors from around the world, attracted by the astoundingly beautiful natural areas, friendly people, and delicious food. Now, Belize is poised to become a top destination for retirees, offering expats a low cost of living, affordable property prices, and the perfect mix of modern convenience and laid-back Caribbean lifestyle. Belize’s northern Corozal District is home to a thriving expat community. Located just a few miles from the border with Mexico, Corozal District benefits from cool temperate breezes that ensure fabulous weather all year-round. With excellent infrastructure, health care facilities, and access to familiar low-cost retailers like Sam’s Club and Wal-Mart just over the border, it’s no surprise that so many retirees from North America have chosen to live in Corozal District. Belize is the only English-speaking country in the region, an added plus for expats who enjoy talking to the friendly locals and negotiating property contracts without needing to rely on translators. With plenty of fresh fruits and veggies grown right in Belize, and a bevy of delicious dishes ranging from Mexican to Caribbean-themed Creole food, it’s easy to see why so many retirees enjoy their new life in Belize. The low cost of living in Belize means that your dollar goes much further too, an added plus for retirees on a fixed budget.

Screw you, Earl, the Palapa Bar is back and better than ever
Hurricane Earl destroyed a lot of livelihoods when it ran down the coast of Ambergris Caye, here in Belize, tearing out piers like stubble on the end of a razor. At least temporarily. So many docks have been rebuilt, so many businesses were quickly up and running again within days of the terrible storm. But none has been more anticipated and welcomed back from its watery grave than the Palapa Bar & Grill on Boca del Rio. That happened on Sunday.

International Sourcesizz

Miami-based Norwegian debuts new Harvest Caye resort-style cruise port in Belize
Miami-based Norwegian Cruise Line's newest private-resort destination, Harvest Caye, has officially opened. The 75-acre, resort-style cruise port destination in southern Belize features a 7-acre private beach; 15,000-square-foot pool with a swim-up bar; and a salt-water lagoon for water sports, according to Norwegian. Harvest Caye will be a featured port of call for five Norwegian ships with western Caribbean and Panama Canal itineraries including Norwegian Escape, Norwegian Getaway and Norwegian Pearl sailing from PortMiami, the cruise operator said. Other cruise ships from its sister companies, Regent Seven Seas Cruises and Oceania Cruises, also will stop there. "We have worked closely with the government of Belize to ensure that this spectacular destination was authentic for our guests, provided economic opportunities for the local community and preserved and protected Belize's incredible natural beauty," said Frank Del Rio, president and chief executive officer of parent company Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings Ltd., in a statement.

Tropical Storm Otto May Make a Rare Thanksgiving Hurricane Landfall
Tropical Storm Otto became the 15th named storm of the 2016 Atlantic hurricane season Monday afternoon in the southwest Caribbean Sea, and is expected to become a rare Thanksgiving hurricane, dousing parts of Central America with flooding rainfall. A tropical storm watch has been issued for San Andres Island. This means tropical storm conditions are possible there within 48 hours. The center of Tropical Storm Otto was located just over 200 miles east-southeast of San Andres Island, as of Monday night. Otto will move very little over the next day or so. Later this week, high pressure will build to its north, and the clockwise steering flow around that high will send this system westward toward the coast of Nicaragua or Costa Rica.

Videos

• 3 miles long queue at the Corozal, Santa Elena border., 1min. On Saturday November 19th, many Belizeans found themselves trapped in a 3 miles long queue at the Corozal, Santa Elena border. Chetumal, Mexico was having its yearly "Buen Fin" promotion so Belizeans took advantage of the weak peso, many discounts and the holiday weekend to make the migration across the border. The waiting line to exit the northern border went as far behind as Four Mile Lagoon. Video by Omar Hamze.

• San Pedro beach by night in Belize, 1min.

• San Pedro, Belize 2016, 4min.

• Traveling to Belize VLOG, 13min.

• BELIZE - GREEN IGUANA CONSERVATION PROJECT - SAN IGNACIO - (Full HD), 4min. The Green Iguana Conservation Project is a continuous effort that aims to conserve and look after the endangered Green Iguana species in Belize.

• NATIONAL COMMITTEE FOR FAMILIES AND CHILDREN (NCFC) - UNIVERSAL CHILDREN'S DAY, 30min.

• BELIZE COAST GUARD - 11TH ANNIVERSARY/ BEST WARRIORS COMPETITION, 22min.

• Hitchin’ a Ride, 2.5min. Barry Volk sings an impromptu comedy tribute to friends at Francis Ford Coppola's Turtle Inn (beach bar) in Belize.

• Belize Jungle Dome Oct. 2016, 21min.

• Belize: Stingrays & Sharks,2 min.

• San Pedro, Belize 2016, 4min.

• belize 2016, 6min. a week's worth of laughter and loving others condensed into a little under six minutes. much love and thanks for what God did here. miss it always

• À Prova de Tudo - 3ª Temp. Ep.08 - Belize - Completo (Full HD), 50min. Assista mais episódios: Bear Grylls se aventura nas selvas de Belize durante a estação chuvosa onde deve enfrentar cachoeiras.

Links
    Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
    Daily News
    Daily Weather

Classified Ads
    BelizeNews.com
    San Pedro Sun
    Ambergris Today
    SP Town Council
    Channel 7
    Channel 5
    Amandala
    Love FM
    The Reporter
    Caye Caulker
    Chronicles

PLUS TV
    TV Newscasts
    Radio Stations

Click for our
    Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
    Event Calendar
    Specials & Events
    Things to Do
    SanPedroScoop
    iTravel Belize
    Paradise Theater

Blogs
    San Pedro Scoop!
    Tia Chocolate
    Tacogirl
    My Beautiful Belize
    I-Travel Belize
    Belize Adventure
    Belize Hub
    Romantic Travel
    Bound for Belize
    Conch Creative
    As The Coconuts Drop
    More Blogs...
    Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
    Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
    White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
    Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
    We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
    Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
    Lil’ Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
    Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
    Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
    Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
    More Links
    Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
    December
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3
    4 5 6 7 8 9 10
    11 12 13 14 15 16 17
    18 19 20 21 22 23 24
    25 26 27 28 29 30 31
    Who's Online
    2 registered (2 invisible), 58 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Forum Stats
    18,672 Registered Members
    44 Forums
    64,029 Topics
    462,230 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
    BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
    BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
    BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
    and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.