FOR TODAY'S BELIZE WEATHER, CLICK HERE

Click for our Daily Tropical Weather Report.

Specials and Events

Last night's TV news on Channel 7, Channel 5, LOVETV, PGTV, West Vision (Cayo) and CTV 3. Also with the most recent Open Your Eyes, Rise and Shine Morning Show, and the Dickie Bradley Specials

The San Pedro Sun

Police Report: Found Drugs
On Wednesday, November 17th at around 7PM, police conducted a house search for illegal drugs and firearms at a home in Boca Del Rio. Nothing incriminating was found. However, a further search of the yard led to the discovery of several parcels of Cannabis under the house which amounted to 1,010 grams. Police have since detained 4 persons, all of Boca Del Rio area, San Pedro town pending investigation.

Wolfe’s Woofer: Taxi! Taxi!
“Beep! Beep! I jumped back to avoid getting run over by a taxi and cursed the driver roundly. I even supplied certain hand gestures to get my meaning across. The taxi stopped and backed up. “Hey, Mr. Dennis,” the driver called. “You want a ride? I won’t charge you anything.” “Mario?” I questioned. “What are you doing driving a taxi?” “I need some extra money so I’m driving.” “Where did you learn to drive?” I asked as I got into the taxi. “I learned when I used to work for you.” “I don’t see how,” I said. “I recall telling you that you would never drive my vehicle as long as I was on Ambergris Caye.” “That’s true,” Mario said. “But sometimes you was on the mainland.” “Taxi! Taxi!” someone yelled.

Las Terrazas Resort earns 2016 World Luxury Hotel Award
Las Terrazas Resort & Residences on the island of Ambergris Caye today announced that it has been recognized as the winner of the 2016 Luxury Boutique Hotel category by World Luxury Hotel. The World Luxury Hotel Awards this year celebrated its 10th anniversary in awarding the world’s finest hotels for their luxury offerings and exceptional service delivery. Hosted on this auspicious occasion by the exquisite St. Regis Doha in Qatar, the evening saw over 350 guests from the world’s leading hotels and resorts gather to be recognized on stage for their outstanding efforts. “We wish to congratulate all our winners for the 2016 award year, who through their tireless efforts and unbounded passion to satisfy their guests needs, have received this honor tonight. True luxury is no small feat, it takes a team of highly dedicated staff willing to go the extra mile and stop at nothing to ensure that no request goes unanswered. This is the definition of luxury, this is what defines a World Luxury Hotel Awards winner.” says Anton Perold, Managing Director for the World Luxury Hotel Awards.

Doctor Love: Help!
Dear Doctor Love, My husband and I have been married for three years. We have a beautiful baby boy, two years old and our life is everything we could ever dream. Recently I was offered a job that would change our financial position immensely. The hours are flexible. Much of the time I would work from home but it would require overnight travel to another city two weekends a month. My husband and I have discussed all of the pros and cons, and we know this is the break we need to move towards buying a home of our own. We live quite well on his salary, renting a small one bedroom apartment but the added income would mean that in one year we would have a nice down payment on a house; something we could not achieve without this position. My sister has offered to help with the baby on the weekends I would be gone and my son loves her and her children. Everything seems to be neatly in place. The problem is my mother-in-law. She is furious that I would even consider leaving my husband and son to, as she puts it, make an extra dollar. She says a mother belongs with her children and that is that. This cold war has been heating up for awhile and it’s getting hotter. /s/Help!

Misc Belizean Sourcesmzz

The Christmas Tree at Central Park shines bright.
Happy Township Day San Pedro!

Poets Corner: Viva Fidel!
By Abdulmajeed K Nunez. The story of Fidel will live on forever A revolutionary warrior Who defied the emperor A survivor of numerous assassination attempts by the great America Who influenced the life of numerous world leaders Including Chavez, Maduro, Maurice Bishop and Nelson Mandela Viva Fidel! Viva! Living the legacy Of Jose Marti Forming the first ever communist regime in the Western Hemisphere For fifty years he was the conscience of Havana First as prime minister then president for 30-plus years To Cuba he was the reformer Running out the US Mafia Changing the class system in Cuba Through education, medicine and electric power A nemesis to eleven presidents in America Dedication to education, medicine and bringing power Viva Fidel! Viva!

POSTPONED - North Ryders Car Club, Corozal
To all who were anticipating the racing event to be held today Sunday, November 27th. SHOOTOUT 2K16. North Ryders Car Club is sad to announce that the event is postponed until further notice (next week). Reason being is of permits and other inconveniences. We thank everyone that supported us and was looking forward to such an event. Will give an update as the days go by. Hoping to have an answer for sure e by next Tuesday - Wednesday. Sorry.

BAY Artfest
The Belmopan Active Youths Artfest was Saturday. Belmopan Online got some great pictures of the event.

Pediatric Bracing Mission
The World Pediatric Project is going to be at the Cayo Welcome Center this Tuesday, November 29th. They'll be helping with orthopedic ailments. It's free, and it starts a 9:00am. "We would like to announce our bracing clinic !!! Conditions to be seen: Cerebral Palsy , Down Syndrome and Spina Bifida and other orthopedic issues including knee and foot pain as well. See Flyer for details and locations"

Tacos Festival Canoe Race 2016
A big congratulations goes out to Team NICH for the win at the Tacos Festival Canoe Race 2016 with an overall time of 1:27:07. Way to go, Efrain, Hener, and Rudy!

Team NICH participating in the Canoe Race
Part of the festivities for the Tacos Festival in Orange Walk.

Tacos Festival 2016!
Hope you didn't missed out on this great culinary

The Reporter

Chateau Caribbean destroyed by fire
A fire has destroyed the Chateau Caribbean in Belize City. The blaze started at around 8:30 this morning on the second floor and quickly spread to the first floor. No one was hurt and fire fighters are still on the scene fighting the blaze. Reports are that the fire started from the kitchen.

Breaking Belize NewsPJ

Get your Orange Walk tacos today
Today in Orange Walk Town, the sixth annual Tacos Festival is being held at the Banquitas House of Culture. Orange Walk Tacos, of course, has the distinction of being known as home to the best tacos in Belize. Organizer of the event, Dillon Jones, […]

Fair weather to prevail
The 24 hour forecast is for sunny skies and partly cloudy skies today and tonight. A few showers and isolated thunderstorms are expected. The wind will blow from the north to northwest at 5 to 15 knots becoming north to northeast this afternoon and […]

Referendum legislation to be amended
The Government of Belize will reduce the referendum threshold from 60 to 50 per cent plus one by amending the existing Referendum Act. This motion come on Wednesday when the Senate debates the special agreement on taking the Guatemalan claim to the International Court […]

Chateau Caribbean Hotel is on fire
Reports reaching BBN newsroom is that Chateau Caribbean Hotel in Belize City is on fire. According to reports, the fire has spread to the second floor of the building and fire fighters have been deployed to the scene to extinguish the fire. We will […]

PM Barrow expresses condolences on the passing of Fidel Castro
Prime Minister Dean Barrow sent the below letter of condolences to President Raul Castro of Cuba on the passing of Fidel Castro. 26th November 2016 Dear President Raúl Castro Ruz, This note is penned with a heavy heart. You have lost your brother, the […]

Blogs

Escape The Winter Up North…And Head For Belize
Looking out my window, I watch a beautiful sea grape tree and a huge almond tree swaying in the breeze. A slight distance away, I can see the incredible turquoise of the Caribbean Sea, and I feel so lucky. My husband Marcos and I moved to San Pedro town on Ambergris Caye in Belize almost four years ago from another beautiful town, Santa Fe, New Mexico. There are many differences between these two places. However one of the most marked is the weather. I always loved the changing seasons and now realize they were the drivers of lots of activities and behaviors in Santa Fe that are not necessary in my new sub-tropical environment. There was the changing of clothing from summer to winter. This was no small matter for my family of four, and required a great deal of storage space to accommodate off-season items. There was the replacement of the furnace filter, snow tires had to be put on cars, windshield scrapers had to be bought, blankets and comforters needed to be retrieved and washed, irrigation systems had to be turned off, and chimneys cleaned. And did everyone have intact hats and gloves, or a down jacket that still fit? And, where is the number for the guy who brings the cord of wood?

Your One Day Itinerary For Ambergris Caye, Belize – For First Time Visitors
I would never recommend just one day on Ambergris Caye. I really think that you need at least 4 or 5 days and ideally a week to get the feel of the place, to do many of the great activities, to visit some of our restaurants and then visit your favorite ones again, to get to know the people and to feel like you never want to go home. Isn’t that what vacation is all about? But there are circumstance where you have just one day. If you are staying on Caye Caulker, our smaller neighboring island, you can take the 20 minute boat ride over and enjoy the day or perhaps from Belize City or Corozal – two towns with regular boats to Ambergris Caye. Here’s my proposed itinerary for you on a quick visit to San Pedro.

“Panama” from San Pedro, Ambergris Caye, Belize – Part Two.
Now where was (see what happens when you get to a certain age, you’re memory starts to fade) I? Oh yes, we retired early on the Saturday night so that we would be refreshed for our Sunday in Panama City. We awoke to a grey sky and the rain was pouring down. But what do you expect when you visit a tropical country during rainy season! Undeterred (we’d had the good sense to bring rainwear with us) after breakfast we made the short walk to the Metro station -passing through the gentleman’s club area of the city – I’ve never seen Santa Claus dressed this way before. and took a train to 5 de Mayo where we alighted and after around a 5 minute walk we were at Mercado de Mariscos (the fish market).

Discover Belize’s Reef, Rainforest and Ruins in 2017
Many people believe that R&R stands for rest and relaxation and we won’t argue with them, but in Belize, we take our Rs one step further by boasting about the lushest, most impressive Reef, Rainforests and Ruins in the Caribbean–many of which are located along Belize’s 180 miles of coastline. If Belize presents you with too many delicious activity choices for your 2017, using the Three Rs to plan your time in Belize makes good sense. Make things even easier by staying at Chabil Mar Resort in Placencia, where staff is so helpful setting up guest itineraries, you won’t miss a thing. Are you eager to get some exercise while exploring areas around the Belize Barrier Reef? Rent a kayak on Laughing Bird Caye to explore everything from mangrove swamps to white beaches. If aquatics are more your style, snorkel the turquoise waters of the Caribbean to see an astonishing mix of marine life around the reef where you’ll as likely run into scientists studying indigenous marine life as sports enthusiasts.

Why You Really Should Visit Belize in January
When the weather outside is cold and icy everywhere else, a tropical paradise awaits you in Belize! January is one of the most enjoyable months to visit Belize, where the days are warm and sunny, and the nights are cool and refreshing. Here are 5 reasons why you should escape the winter up north and warm up in Belize this January. Savvy visitors know that visiting Belize in January is one of the best times of the year to come. January is in the middle of the dry season, and the temperatures are mild. A regular trade wind blows throughout January, keeping the air fresh. Occasionally, storms called “northers” do blow in from the interior, which can pack winds and rain, as well as a mild drop in temperature. Belize can sometimes be too hot, but January is just about perfect, with a nightly average low of 70F and days ranging in the 80F mark.

International Sourcesizz

A tale of two Castros
Bourgeois, rebel, prisoner, liberator, dictator, jailer, orator, evangelist, icon, killer, defiant, propagandist, communist, populist, caudillo: These are the words that describe El Commandante, a contradictory man, but indeed a giant of our times. In my multiple visits to Cuba during and after his reign, and after many interactions with Cubans in exile, I have mixed feelings as to whether Fidel Castro's impact on Cuba has been positive or negative. On the surface, a formidable propaganda machine paints a picture of an enlightened society of equality and social justice, but beneath the iron fist of Fidel lay a society plagued with fear, prostitution, drug use and oppression. This giant of a man understood how to use opportunity to his advantage. For 50 years, his totalitarian rule kept 11 million people behind an iron curtain that has endured for decades even after the fall of Soviet communism, bedeviling 11 successive US presidencies, and Castro himself survived multiple attempts at assassination.

New, Highly-Anticipated Destination Opens in Belize: Harvest Caye
Spectacular, resort-style port of call showcases authentic Belize and offers eco and wildlife adventure for cruise travelers on Norwegian Cruise Lines, Regent Seven Seas Cruises, and Oceania Cruises guests on Western Caribbean itineraries. Belize is one of the hottest Caribbean destinations, and now, cruise travelers have a new port of call to explore the best of Belize. Harvest Caye is an island a mile offshore mainland Belize, developed by Norwegian in collaboration with Belize. The development preserves and improves the native eco-system, uses indigenous, responsible hardwoods in the buildings, and is creating 500 direct and 1500 indirect jobs for the local economy. We can't imagine having just one day in Harvest Caye. There's a 7-acre pristine beach with white powder sand and crystal clear waters. You can relax in clamshell tents or in one of the luxury beach villas with porches over the water, hammocks, dining and beverage options and dedicated concierge service.

Videos

• The fire seems to be over at the Chateau Caribbean Hotel, 1.5min. However, the 100+ years building has been badly damag

• Chateau Caribbean caught fire, 44min. This is so sad. I have very fond memories of this place, it was in June 1979 that I first met my then to be future wife, it was known as Zorba the Greeks back then, I was there during the filming of the Dogs of War as well later on the same tour of Belize.

• San Pedro Christmas Tree lighting ceremony 2016, 38min. Congratulations to the young ladies of the San Pedro Dance Academy for a flawless performance.

• Christmas Tree Lighting Ceremony - Pandemonium, 24min.

• Jennifer Lawrence on Chris Pratt, the Zika Virus and R-rated Movies | Vanity Fair, 2min. A bunch of questions thrown at Hollywood's highest paid actress - you'll never guess her favorite place to vacation. Hint: She's stayed at Victoria House, Ambergris Caye, Belize. SUPER COOL!

• See it to Belize it, 5.5min.

• Belize Snorkeling and Fishing 2016, 1min.

• Belize, 3min. Jon's GoPro footage from Belize 2016

• Man Tries to Drag Woman out of Van in San Ignacio, Belize C.A., 1.5min. Today a man tried to physically remove a woman from her van. Unfortunately, everyone just stood there watching until we got there, started to videotape, and called the police. We were able to get the video to the police. Pray for this man's salvation. Also pray for Officer Chan, we witnessed to him.

• Belize Vacation 2016, 5min.

• Belize Spearfishing, 4min.

• HANGING OUT WITH FRIENDS IN BELIZE Nov. 11th. 2016, 6.5min.