Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#519317 11/27/16 10:30 AM
F
OP Offline
F
We just came back home from another trip to San Pedro. I have been visiting the island for many years and I have never been so annoyed with the taxis. Because we have been there so many times, we are more than familiar with your traffic rules and one way streets but even if we weren't, we are still visitors to your island. When I welcome someone into my home I do what I can to make them feel welcome, not run them off the road! We smile as we pass and we try to be respectful of the residents and help other visitors who are not as familiar yet we found ourselves constantly run to the side of the road, tailgated and honked at which is more reminiscent of New York than creating the island vibe we are coming to enjoy. If the traffic enforcement wants something to enforce then crack down on the obnoxious taxi drivers and if the tourism board wants to continue getting all of these new visitors you invested in getting there to come back, you have to do something about the taxi drivers that make them feel like they are in the way rather than welcome to be there.

So sorry this was your experience funkyturtle.....Yes, it seems to be an ongoing issue... Many are involved in the Taxi Association and learn the guidelines for tourism....Then before we know it, those guys are gone and a new batch of bat-out-of-hell drivers arrive on the island for busy season....I will forward your concerns to Town Council...However, I can assure you they are making every effort to control the situation.....Thank you for your feedback.

My friends call me Judyann

www.blackorchidrestaurant.com
I'm very sorry that you had bad experiences with taxi drivers on this trip. Some do drive too fast and dangerously and it's something many have complained about. Just a word about honking though. Driving practices are different in Belize and honking is not used in the same way that it is in the USA. Drivers honk as a matter of courtesy to let you know that they are there, not to harass or hurry you. Hopefully, by your next visit, the speeding and dangerous driving will have been addressed for everyone's sake.

www.conchcreative.com
Belize Wedding Photography

B
B
I will say that when driving North, it was the other tourists I found scary!! We live in very rural MT, so very familiar with bad roads as have over 60 miles of gravel to get to town. The speeds in which tourists would fly around us and were zooming the opposite direction was really alarming. Especially when you consider what dropping a wheel over the paved section of road would result in...

Good Point CollyK, we do use the horn to say hi, let another know we're passing or to announce our arrival.....Always a courtesy I appreciate, particularly when we are taking a leisurely Sunday drive.....

My friends call me Judyann

www.blackorchidrestaurant.com

Link Copied to Clipboard
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 130 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,204
Posts500,028
Members20,468
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.