Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#51950 - 04/24/02 11:27 PM Banyon Bay or Ramon's?
pudge Offline
We have friends that stayed at Banyon Bay and really liked it. They said to check on Ramon's as another possibility. I would love to have other opinions about both places. Thanks.

#51951 - 04/25/02 10:27 AM Re: Banyon Bay or Ramon's?
clavin Offline
The grounds at Ramon's are very nice (clean and very tropical), but I thought the rooms and the restaurant are pretty so-so for the amount of money you spend.

#51952 - 04/25/02 10:42 AM Re: Banyon Bay or Ramon's?
Lan Sluder/Belize First Offline
At Banyan Bay, you get a 1,000 square foot two-bedroom, two-bath apartment, beautifully decorated and finished with tropical hardwoods. There's a full kitchen, living room and in most units a balcony with seaviews. Big beautiful pool, and the on-site restaurant, Rico's, while perhaps not the best restaurant on the island, has a beautiful setting right on the water and is certainly good for breakfast and lunch. The beach here is one of the best on the island.

Ramon's certainly has a good location and the more expensive suites and rooms are quite nice, and it has more of active atmosphere, but I've never heard anyone say they were disappointed in Banyan Bay.

--Lan Sluder
Belize books and publications by Lan Sluder:
Belize First Magazine (http://www.belizefirst.com)
Fodor's Belize & Guatemala Guide (new 4th edition coming this summer)
Adapter Kit: Belize (the first and only comprehensive guide to living, retiring, working and investing in Belize -- a best-seller on Amazon.com)
San Pedro Cool (the first and only visitor guide to Ambergris Caye)
Belize First Guide to Mainland Belize
UpClose Central America
Belize Book of Lists
Lan Sluder/Belize First

#51953 - 04/25/02 12:45 PM Re: Banyon Bay or Ramon's?
pudge Offline
Thanks for the replies. It sounds like Banyon Bay is the place. I probably need a copy of Mr. Sluder's book as well.

#51954 - 04/27/02 04:05 AM Re: Banyon Bay or Ramon's?
Ragga Offline
Ramons has beautiful thatch cabañas in a very tropical setting. Great bar,super pool.
I have always prefered Ramons but I guess Lan got a FREE room from Banyon Bay and that is the only reason he recommends them. He is well known among resort owners in Belize for this type of practise. Yet many refuse to fall for his mafia style tactics.

#51955 - 04/27/02 05:06 AM Re: Banyon Bay or Ramon's?
seashell Offline
I've never had a free room at Ramon's or even wanted one. I find the standard rooms to be "not all that". Compared to many other accommodations on the island, you are definitely not getting as good value. That is my opinion based on personal observation and comparison for myself.

Many people like different things. That's why there's vanilla and chocolate ice cream.
A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

#51956 - 04/27/02 07:41 PM Re: Banyon Bay or Ramon's?
Tami Offline
I didn't stay at either place but I did visit both. I thought the grounds at Banyan Bay were very nice, including the pool. The beach area was really nice too. I ate at the restaurant, Rico's, twice for lunch. They have a great outdoor patio and their shrimp burrito was the best I have ever had. Yum!

Ramon's, in my opinion, was very "touristy". The food there was incredibly average...nothing to write home about. Again, this is just my opinion.

Enjoy AC...I sure did and can't wait to return!

#51957 - 04/27/02 10:46 PM Re: Banyon Bay or Ramon's?
oldmom Offline
Sorry Tami....we were there and aren't "tourists"....know you & friends were all over the island....Amy and I enjoyed the relaxation at Ramon's...sorry we missed you there.Only had one breakfast there so can't compare meals. Can't beat their bloodie mary's!!

#51958 - 04/27/02 11:40 PM Re: Banyon Bay or Ramon's?
KC Offline
How rude. You have done Ramone's no favor by posting your sour grapes.
"You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think."

#51959 - 04/28/02 12:07 PM Re: Banyon Bay or Ramon's?
Tami Offline
"To each his own"...very true. People ask opinions and others give it. I am sure both places are great to stay...I just had an opinion of which I thought was better.

We stayed at Victoria House and when we return, I would definitely stay there again. It was an awesome place...all around.

I am sure whichever place you decide to stay at, you will have a great time. You will be in paradise, after all.

Have Fun!

[This message has been edited by Tami (edited 04-28-2002).]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker

TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lil’ Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31
Who's Online
3 registered (3 invisible), 33 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,632 Registered Members
44 Forums
63,705 Topics
461,224 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 02:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.