Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#5231 10/03/00 12:44 PM
C
OP Offline
C
To our friends at Hol Chan Reserve and the San Pedro community that welcomed us this summer, we've been watching anxiously for any bit of news about your welfare. We are assuming that Brandon and Jill were evacuated, and hope everyone else is safe, too. Any news of Danny and JoVan's families? How did the schools come through the hurricane? The Smith professors (Al, Paulette, Susan) and Kate and I are wondering what we can do to help you. What are the major needs--for the reserve staffs (including Baccalar Chico and Caye Caulker) personally, as well as the reserve facilities and schools? Please let us know how you are and what you need and we will do our best to help. I am relieved that Keith is finally moving off and hope you know that we were all thinking of you constantly for the past two days. Guess you'll have some pretty dramatic photos to show us this summer, right?! Cathy

A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
Cathy, I can confirm that no Peace Corps Volunteers were on the island when the storm hit. It is my understanding that Brandon was luckily on the mainland when things started to get rough and he, and all the other volunteers rode out the storm in the comparative "luxury" of the Peace Corp HQ in Belize city. If I hear any news about other Hol Chan personnel I will pass it along.

C
OP Offline
C
Thanks for the information--the entire marine science department at Smith College is waiting to hear--and to help.

C
OP Offline
C
I'm happy to hear that Changa and Melanie Paz are fine and that Brandon was in Belize City. Does anyone know how the following people and their families are--Miguel Alamilla, Jr., Elgar, Tony and Gismo (Hol Chan rangers), Florencio Acosta, Felix Ayuso, the staff of Bacalar Chico (Samos, Majil, Victor and Jason), and Arleny Perez on Caye Caulker. Also Lydia Guerrara (Life Academy) and Liz Savanos (New Horizon). All of these people were so kind to me (and others from Smith College) while we were working on our reef education project this summer. We are anxious for word about them and if there is anything we can do from here. Our thoughts and prayers are with you.

Cathy

W
W
I can only answer for Tony Calderon of the Hol Chan crew & he was reported, to me, as safe & sound.

C
OP Offline
C
Thanks for the word on Tony. Anyone have word on the rest of our friends?

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 262 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.