Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
W
watt Offline OP
OP Offline
W
I have looked several places but have not been able to determine whether it is okay to bring in food for our own personal consumption while we are there. I think there is some limit on booze and cigs -- any limits on anything else? Any advice is appreciated.

Search this message board for lots of info about meat.
No fresh agricultural products.

Do you have a particular food item you are wondering about?
Belize it!

S
S
Bring FOOD to Belize? One of the all time great food places in the world? You gotta be kidding, right?
There are about 50 restaurants (counting all the little stands) in town...and little kids come around selling home made meat pies, coconut tarts, bread puddings, etc..
Yum yum....
Unless you need special food due to an unusual medical problem, there is no reason to bring anything edible to San Pedro.
Furthermore, food is fresh. Very little processed food there...its all real, made from scratch. No hidden ingredients (just calories and nobody tries to hide those!)

Susan Guberman-Garcia, Attorney at Law. Phone: 510-792-2639
Fax/Voicemail:: 510-405-2016 Email: [email protected]
W
watt Offline OP
OP Offline
W
Well, now I feel like an idiot. When you rent a condo with a kitchen you feel like you have to stock it -- it's the woman thing as you might have guessed. I will defintely take your advice and do it there and forget worrying about packing anything other than swimsuits, sunscreen and bug spray [Linked Image] I just read that some of the 'basic' goods are expensive and am trying to keep costs down so I can spend it on the fun stuff -- like in the bars!!! Thanks for the info.

W
watt Offline OP
OP Offline
W
I have never participated on a board before so I hope that pink round face icon is a 'smiley face' as it was intended. Although, it does look more like a 'kiss my ass smile' and I certainly am not taking that tone [Linked Image] -- Hey, I am almost on vacation (28 days to freedom)!!

S
S
If you can afford to rent a condo in San Pedro, you can afford to eat!
You can easily save money by avoiding the "trendy" gringo restaurants that travel agents like to recommend and eating at local places. There are many threads on food on this message board so do a search. I like the ladies on the street (safe, delicious and cheap) who sell food in stands, Papis Diner on the north end of town, The Reef and Ambergris Delight on Middle Street, Ruby's Cafe for breakfasts and desserts and quick snacks, and a bit more expensive but great: Jambel's Jerk Pit for REAL jerk everything.
If you are cooking in, avoid buying products made in the US. Get locally produced staples (rice, sugar, salt, spices, coffee, tortilla chips) in plastic baggies at the little markets, and look for products made in Mexico for the best prices (there's a 100% price difference, for example, between cereal from the US and cereal from Mexico, same for cooking oil, anything in cans, etc.
Buy produce from produce stands not markets (its usually better and cheaper.)
Get beer by the case from the Belikin distributor, much much cheaper than buying bottles in stores, same for soft drinks, your condo manager should be able to help you do that.

Susan Guberman-Garcia, Attorney at Law. Phone: 510-792-2639
Fax/Voicemail:: 510-405-2016 Email: [email protected]
R
R
susangg - You rock! Thanks for the great advice and direction. That is why I love this board.

I bring my own food in.

Four reasons why. Don't go to AC, I'm the cook, my village has none of these wonderful resturants or grocery stores and the Belizeans enjoy something different.

List of what I bring.
Canned hams, tuna fish, mayo, catsup, salad dressing, spices, coffee, salad dressing, Lipton Rice and Noodle dishes. Pasta, spag. sauce, peanut butter, popcorn, candy and gum. BBq Sauce, mustard, etc. etc.
shelf milk.

NO Fresh fruits or veggies are allowed.

P
P
Watt-that puts ou in on the 6th of June doesn't it? How long r u staying? There r a bunch of us hookin up down there from 6/10-6/20, u r welcome to join in the festivities, the more the merrier!

W
watt Offline OP
OP Offline
W
We will be there the 7th through the 15th. I read that a bunch of you were meeting at the chicken drop on the 12th(?) (Wednesday). Is that right? Also, any spots left in the cave tubing excursion? What is the story on the volleyball game and Deb's party? We would love to hook up and party!!! Anybody interested in chartering a boat to do a day trip and hitting some of the unihabited cayes and snorkeling? Any advice on who to contact to do this? There have to be tons of great guides with boats.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 289 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.