Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#52924 05/02/02 10:25 PM
M
OP Offline
M
I was recently told by a local dive-shop that may is breeding season for jellyfish in Belize? Any comments or first-hand knowledge will be great!

Marianne
B
B
Don't know about the marine biology of it but I can tell you that we saw a fair number of purple and magenta jellies on the shore the last two days of our trip - 4/23 and 4/24. I would imagine their sudden appearance probably signalled some sort of change - whether breeding season or storms at sea.

C
CCR Offline
C
Hi Marianne, we were there in mid-March and while we were snorkeling there were TONS of what is called Pica-Pica (Spelling?) which is Jellyfish larvae (about the size of a thimble). I was pretty worried when I saw them all floating around, but jumped in anyway. They were actually kind of cool to watch on the water surface while snorkeling. However, when I came up once there were a few on my face and they all stung me. Those were the only stings I felt. But when we got out of the water we all had stings all over us. Except for the one on my face, they don't hurt. They do itch though...kind of like ant bites. I believe the season is over now. Also, according to our guide they are not always around; depends on the tides, winds, etc. He said about his job; when there's no pica-pica my job is fun. When there's pica-pica my job is a job. hahaha! Still better than MY job!! [Linked Image]
Don't worry about 'em!!!
Cindy

KC Offline
The purple jellyfish are Man-of-war, and their sting can really make you ill, so stay away from them! They are pretty and interesting, but not fun to be stung by.

When we were there first of March there was a "bloom" of the thimble jellyfish (pica pica), and there were billions of them. We were up north, and their numbers were quite impressive near the shore. But I was told by a local that sometimes the entire water out to the reef is brown with them. There has been quite a good discussion of the pica pica here on the board in the past... how to avoid them, and how to treat if you get into them. Do a search if you want to know more.

Kathy

"You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think."
K
K
The Pica Pica season was over quickly this year with only a few reported stings. The Man O' War were out in good numbers a week or so ago but none have been seen for days.

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 327 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.