Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#53710 06/01/02 05:56 PM
M
MoMOM Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Can anyone tell me how safe a trip to Tecal would be? What would be the best method of getting there from AC?

#53711 06/01/02 06:22 PM
S
S
That's a decision everyone contemplating such a trip needs to make for himself or herself.
As for me, I would be reluctant to travel to Tikal using any method other than air. There have been too many incidents of tourists being hijacked, robbed and occasionally even raped on the roads between Belize and Tikal. It used to be that you were safe if you went in a tourist van, but that is no longer the case. This is partly because Belizean gun laws make it difficult for citizens to defend themselves and the bandidos know that the tourist van drivers are not armed and cannot protect their guests against such crimes.
There have not been huge numbers of incidents like this but a few is too many as far as I am concerned. Guatemala's successive military governments have spawned banditry as a cottage industry among the cashiered military and paramilitaries, and I would not consider the roads between Belize and Tikal safe enough to drive. My recommendation is go only if you are willing to spend the $$ to fly.
And don't take a one day trip, its not enough time to see the ruins, and you will spend half the day traveling. Take at least two days if you go. It's really gorgeous. Don't buy an "all inclusive" package, the hotel restaurants are lousy but there are some great little family restaurants around the park, they have wonderful food and are very cheap.

Susan Guberman-Garcia, Attorney at Law. Phone: 510-792-2639
Fax/Voicemail:: 510-405-2016 Email: [email protected]
#53712 06/01/02 10:24 PM
D
D
Flying to Tikal might be the best option.

It would be such a shame if the caome all this way and don't get to see Tikal.

Looking at the cost, by the time you had a road transfer from BZE to Tikal it would not be much in difference in price to fly.

It's US$ 88 to fly from Belize Int'l to Tikal one way.

The Camino Real Hotel in Flores is a very good recomendation for stay.

If you wouls like more info on this e-mail me at [email protected]

Hi, trina I would suggest the Orange Walk area. There is a lot to offer there. In particular there is the Lamanai Outpost lodge that offers exactly what you're looking for. You can contact me if you need more info at [email protected]
#53713 06/02/02 12:12 AM
T
T
You can't fly directly to Tikal, though, right? I believe you have to fly to Flores. And then van it to Tikal. At least a one hour van ride, I think. Can someone correct me on that?

#53714 06/02/02 05:18 AM
M
MoMOM Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Who on AC handles the tour? Looks like we are looking at a flight and overnight stay. What we really want is an early morning flight to Flores, van trip to Tikal, overnight stay in at safe accomodations, spend the next day at Tikal and then fly back to AC that afternoon. Is this possible?

#53715 06/02/02 10:47 AM
A visit to Tikal is well worth the time and trouble that it takes to get there. But I feel that flying is the only way to go. We spent three days in Flores last year (we had to leave AC shortly after arriving, because Hurricane Chantal came to visit), staying at the Westin Camino Real Hotel. The hotel is a 20 minute drive from Flores, located on Lake Peten. There are also some nice hotels in Flores. We booked our tour of Tikal through the hotel, which had a booth just off
the main lobby. The tour included an airconditioned bus ride to Tikal. Our guide was Carlos and at the end of our tour of Tikal, he offered to take us to another local Mayan ruin named Yaxha the next day, which was his "day off" (he was an entrepreneur at heart). This site is also being excavated, but has less than one percent of the tourist traffic when compared to Tikal. There may have been 10 groups of tourists at Yaxha that day. Both sites are worth seeing, though Yaxha is not as broadly excavated as Tikal. You should definely make the trip.

#53716 06/02/02 04:02 PM
L
L
In AC you might try Amigo Travel on front street or Irada Gonzalez at Travel and Tour for booking flight and pkg.

R.B. Mernitz
#53717 06/04/02 05:45 PM
D
D
My wife and I drove to Tikal from Belize City.The trip to the border in Cayo took 1 1/2 hours. The road to that point is great, but not so in Guatemala. They spray your vehicle at the border and there is paper work to do. Speaking at least some spanish is a real plus. Expect to be approached by money changers at the border, don't be afraid, find one who speaks english and they will help you find the right lines for entry.I wouldn't change a lot of money, maybe US $ 100 or so; dollars are widely accepted. Once through the somewhat intimidating border stuff, we headedto El Remate and stayed at the Westin Camino Royal. The trip from the border to there took two hours I think at a top speed of 40 mph over some really bumpy roads. Definatly don't stop to ask for help or to help anyone, go directly to the Westin. Once there everything was great. The hotel is fabulous.The room with 2 double beds was US $ 125 fantastic sunset view of the lake!! The food at the hotel was superb..and cheap, three of us ordered the most expensive meals on the menu with drinks and tip...50 bucks. We got up at 5am and drove the 18miles ...on a very good road into Tikal and spent the day there.The earlier you go the better for seeing wildlife. It was unbelievabe!!! The trip is doable just be really careful. We used Crystal Auto Rental as they are one of the only if not only agencies that allows thier vehicles into Guatemala. Have fun and be safe!!

#53718 06/04/02 07:18 PM
A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
Hi MoMoM:

I would be delighted to book your tikal trip for you on Tropic Air. Please e-mail me at [email protected] to arrange it.

Cheers,
Wendy

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 284 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.