Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#53852 - 06/06/02 03:17 AM Luggage/Baggage Question
trina Offline
Question to those who've traveled recently on Continental? Hubby and I don't want to check any baggage. We find it quicker and easier to do only carrry on. This is our third time back to Belize, so we got the packing thing down to a science! WE travel light. Anyway, we want to each carry l hip/fanny pack, 1 backpack (small, day pack) and a small duffel bag to carry together. Will that be okay, or will they count the hip/fanny pack as "luggage"? Like we said, we'd prefer not to check, as it slows the whole thing down. Anyone got any feedback?

#53853 - 06/06/02 03:40 AM Re: Luggage/Baggage Question
susangg Offline
Sorry but that won't work. For international flights, you can carry on ONE "personal item" (purse, SMALL backpack, fanny pack, briefcase, computer case, etc.) and ONE "carry on bag" (which must be small enough to fit either under the seat or in an overhead compartment.
They may make an exception if you are physically disabled and using assistance equipment or carrying an infant with a stroller, but otherwise, they are very strict.
And there is always a chance that if you are at the end of the line, you may be forced against your will to check your carry on bag IF it is too big to go under the seat and all overhead space is taken.
So, you should make sure to pack medication, enough personal toiletries to get you through a day or two of lost luggage, a bathing suit and a change of underwear in your "personal item." In fact, doing this is almost a guarantee that your luggage will not be lost.
Also, sometimes they institute special last minute baggage restrictions on a given flight so you should visit the airline's web site a couple of days before your flight to make sure.
Actually, the only good thing that has come of all the security craziness is that not as many bags are being sent on the wrong flight or lost. They are keeping better track of bags these days.

#53854 - 06/06/02 03:43 AM Re: Luggage/Baggage Question
MandM Offline
We haven't flown Continental (AA) but, I think you will be fine. Don't point out the fanny packs as a carry on.Just say you have 2 back packs and a duffle bag. I think that would pass ok.I mean after all, fanny packs don't take up any overhead storage or under seat space We always wear fanny packs and have never been questioned about them. Before 9/11 we each carried a roll aboard piece of luggage also. The down side to not checking luggage is the hassle you will get through security checks. We check all but our fanny packs since 9/11. Remember, you can't take razors or any sharp object on the planes. Hubby had a money clip with a nail file in it and they took it away from him at security in Tulsa. Best of luck to you!

[This message has been edited by MandM (edited 06-05-2002).]

[This message has been edited by MandM (edited 06-05-2002).]

#53855 - 06/06/02 03:45 AM Re: Luggage/Baggage Question
Johnboy Offline
We just flew from DFW to LAX(Los Angeles)
They allowed only one carry on,one purse or laptop ....I doubt if you can get the dufflebag by. If you try the worst thing is they make you check it...Good Luck

#53856 - 06/06/02 05:02 AM Re: Luggage/Baggage Question
Woz Offline
Eagle Creek makes a great piece of luggage. It is a roller suitcase that converts into a back pack. It has a removable day pack that zips on and off. It's amazing how much you can shove into it. When going through the little X ray hole in security I just zip the day pack off so it will fit through. Then zip it back on when you board the plane.It is again one piece of luggage. I've this all over Gods creation and it is one of the best purchases I've ever made.

#53857 - 06/06/02 05:10 AM Re: Luggage/Baggage Question
trina Offline
Thanks, all. We'll have to rethink this. As far as "lost luggage", I always put stuff in checked luggage that I could live without. Meaning, no meds, cameras, valuables,etc.

#53858 - 06/06/02 01:30 PM Re: Luggage/Baggage Question
BankerWoman Offline
We flew Continental to AC in April. If you're talking the typical "touristy" type of fanny pack that's no more than 10" wide and 7" or 8" high you probably will have no problem. If we're talking about something more akin to a backpack, then I think you'll be less likely to go unhassled. We flew out of O'Hare and they were VERY particular about size and number of bags going on international flights. No big hassles with handchecks, etc. going out but bigtime hassles coming back into the U.S. Admire you for being able to pack so light. Even though we were advised by folks on the board to do so early on, the stuff just seemed to make its way into the bags on its own...

#53859 - 06/06/02 02:14 PM Re: Luggage/Baggage Question
LaurieMar Offline
I just flew Continental to Belize last month from the West coast. I had three connections on the way back, plus changed airlines. My luggage was waiting for me in Sacramento before I got home! No problems.

#53860 - 06/06/02 03:37 PM Re: Luggage/Baggage Question
KC Offline
Trina,

Can't you slip the fanny pack into the backpack while getting on the plane... then take it back out at your seat?

#53861 - 06/06/02 05:11 PM Re: Luggage/Baggage Question
trina Offline
I think we're resigned to having to check the duffel bag. Hubby reminds me that it is too big to carry on. New question then: can we check it all the way through going there and coming back, or do we have to re-claim it in Houston to check it through customs, etc?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Links
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker
Chronicles

PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 38 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,676 Registered Members
44 Forums
64,079 Topics
462,376 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.