Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#53864 06/06/02 12:08 AM
B
Bones Offline OP
OP Offline
B
We'll be on AC and CC for a week each and are looking at both the Lamanai tour and the one to Altun Ha. Lamanai is twice the cost and we are wondering if it is worth it? Altun Ha looks pretty cool as does the trip to Lamanai. Is Lamanai worth the extra $ ?? Anyone have some thoughts here? Thanks for the help.

#53865 06/06/02 09:19 AM
Bones, I can only speak on Altun Ha. I stayed in San Pedro and I took a day trip to Altun Ha. While this is one of smaller ruins, so I hear, it is quite nice. Although, the ride over was was quite the adventure for me. We passed a school of dolphins that swam right up next to our boat and traveled with us for a little bit. We also stopped to check out some alligators close to shore and passing through the mangroves was really neat (I hear it is really great when the flowers are in bloom and there are lots of birds). Once there, we unloaded at a small village (and i mean small) where you can buy carvings, jewelery etc. from the locales (talk with these people, they are very interesting). We then took a bus to the ruins. It was pretty hot but our tour guides were prepared with water and even pop and beer on the boat. The best however, was after the ruins when we stopped at the Maruba day Spa located right in the middle of the rainforest. Just what we needed after a hot outing at the ruins. We ate lunch there (if you go, make sure you eat in the big tree house which is absolutely fabulous). We then had the option of booking any of the spa services (massage, manicure/pedicure, horseback riding, etc). Those who didn't, swam in the pools. We then headed back to the bus and to the boat(one couple decided to stay over). My only advice is make sure you go in a larger boat as the waters can get choppy later in the day and we felt every bump. So while the ruins were great and our guide had tons of interesting information and facts, I think it was the entire pacage that did it for me (ride over, village, ruins, spa retreat). I hope this helps.

#53866 06/06/02 09:27 AM
KC Offline
They are both great, and yes, Lamanai is worth it.

My BEST ADVICE is that whichever one you do, go with Daniel at Tanisha Tours. Some tour guides drive you there, and breeze you through. You will have a wonderful tour if you go with Daniel. (And don't buy a tour off the street from someone who says they are Daniel). Call Tanisha.

Kathy

"You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think."
#53867 06/06/02 10:28 AM
if your plans aren't concreted, if i had two weeks i would spend 3-4 nights in cayo, then see the other ruins plus jungle & so much more. i saw xunantunich, and hope to see el pilar or caracol this trip.

just a suggestion.

i have not seen either lamanai or altun ha.

#53868 06/06/02 10:28 AM
Bones, I've been to both ruins last year. I went to Lamanai on the day trip with Tanisha (Daniel is THE best) and then I visited Altun Ha while staying at Maruba Spa. They were both very interesting but I'd say that Lamanai is the better choice even though it costs more. (Remember you pay for lunch on the Altun Ha trip plus any spa treatments you might choose.) It's a long day - that bumpy boat ride back to AC at dusk was an experience itself!
Which ever one you choose, you will enjoy, I'm sure.

Gela's AC Motto: "All Roads Used to Lead to BC's - Now They Lead to Hurricane's!"
#53869 06/06/02 11:58 PM
B
Bones Offline OP
OP Offline
B
We have 2 nights in Cayo and will visit Xuantanich for sure and maybe something else. The criminal activity there has us a bit uneasy. Maybe our next trip we can spend more time exploring Cayo, which has so many great things to see and do.

Thanks Kc, Gela, SweetJane, and Sanham for the info. Daniel seems like the one for the trip and we will have to decide still between the two ruins. I'm thinking Altun Ha. If there is no compelling reason to do Lamanai, the extra $ goes a long way for snorkeling and fishing!

[This message has been edited by Bones (edited 06-06-2002).]

#53870 06/07/02 06:48 AM
Lamanai has a much more beautiful setting, on the New River Lagoon. One other plus is that there is a troop of howler monkeys at Lamanai. It is a great trip up the New River, but it is a long day and more expensive than a visit to Altun Ha.

--Lan Sluder
Belize First www.belizefirst.com

Lan Sluder/Belize First
http://www.belizefirst.com
#53871 06/07/02 09:54 AM
D
D
I agree with Lan 100% it's very beautiful at Lamanaii.

Hi, trina I would suggest the Orange Walk area. There is a lot to offer there. In particular there is the Lamanai Outpost lodge that offers exactly what you're looking for. You can contact me if you need more info at [email protected]
#53872 06/07/02 12:56 PM
I agree with the majority.
if you can just do one, go to Lamanai....

#53873 06/07/02 10:27 PM
Yup - Lamanai gets my vote too - have done both with Daniel - he is TOPS

_ _ _ _ _ _ _________________ _ _ _ _ _ _
But then what do I know, I am but a mere caveman
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 288 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.