Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#54350 06/24/02 11:58 AM
OP Offline
First, thanks to all who've posted and helped us hapless travelers in figuring out where to stay, what to do and where to eat. I can't imagine the trip would have been as much fun without your advice.

Flights on continental were all on time and no problems figuring out the transfer to Tropic Air. We picked up a phone at BTL across the parking lot so we could phone home to check on our kids. Then off to wait for Tropic Air's quick and scenic flight to San Pedro.

Upon arrival at the airport in San Pedro we got our first dose of "things are different here" (all to the better). This guy approaches me and asks were we're staying. I tell him Victoria House and he sort of nods his head and wanders away. We grab our bags and are looking around cluelessly for the "shuttle" to VH. Eventually the same guy comes back and asks if we're ready to go. Shuttle revealed.

Victoria House was gorgeous and we quickly got settled in our casita. Then off to the bar for a panty ripper and the vacation was officially started.

I'll categorize the rest of the report for easy reading. (this will be a long post)

Accommodations - Victoria House - Casita
Really nice room with a big bed, couple of chairs, mini-fridge, and bathroom. We were in #2. During the day, we opened the windows and let the breeze blow in. At night we ran the air conditioner. The AC worked fairly well except one night. Still, it was never uncomfortable. (If you like it cold, why would you vacation in belize?) If I stayed in a casita again, I'd either want unit #1, #7 or #8. These are better positioned to catch the breeze off the water and we would have preferred not to use the AC at all. No phone in the room (thus the cell phone). Used the safe at the front desk to keep store our passports.

The grounds at VH are immaculate and well maintained. We sat poolside or on the beach every day. Really nice beach (so quiet) with little thatch cabanas to escape the sun. Fun little bar with great drinks, board games (you sunk my battleship!) and a curiously placed dartboard (right next to the door). Oh, lest I forget, there were a couple of resident dogs hanging around. They'd curl up under your chair on the beach. Sort of cool.

Getting to / from town was easy. Biked in most mornings for breakfast. Took a shuttle in most nights / cab back ($5 us). Even walked back one night though that was a tad sweaty.

We'd defiantly go back. Probably would stay in either a standard room (#11 looked real nice) or in one of the plantation house rooms.

I'll post some photo's eventually.

Food
We ate one dinner at Victoria House (first night) and it was great. But, based on everyone's comments, we decided to eat out every other night and most mornings. My wife was in 7th heaven and ate lobster every day save one!

Caliente - Great
Elvi's - Awsome
Shark Bar - Perfectly fine pizza
Estels - Quick burger or fajita (look out for free range crabs)
Lily's - We had breakfast there multiple times. Lobster or veggie omlet with a fry jack is a great way to start your day. The folks who run the place are so pleasant that we felt very at home. No matter where your staying, make a point to give them some of your business, you'll be very happy in return.

Other
Fishing - Went out bone fishing one day with Roberto. He put us on fish all morning and was a great guide. The flats are some of the most beautiful fishing grounds I've ever seen. Though I spooked more than I caught, I had a great time.

Nightlife - We were pretty lame and didn't rally for much nightlife. We did stick around and listen to Barefoot Skinny's first set at the Shark Bar one night. That was really it (other than rum punch at VH bar).

Laundry - We dropped some off at the Tradewinds office to try and save a few bucks (the VH prices were a tad high). That took a tad longer than expected but we just gave them a few extra bucks and had them send it back with a taxi.

North Side - We did rent a golf cart for a few hours and buzzed up to the north side to see what the deal was up there. If only to see the amazing garden that someone has created as you go past the first few houses, it's worth the trip. Humming birds everywhere!

We had planned to do more (snorkeling, ruins tour, BC BBQ) but we were too busy vegging out and some rain came in our last day. Oh well, save those for next time.

Happy to answer questions about any of the above. Can't wait to go back!!

Sounds like ya had a really GREAT trip!!
Can't wait ta see the pics!

I would love to see pics as I am getting married at VH in February. Did you get a look at the honeymoon suite?

Also I am in the process of planning our budget - what do you think you spent on food/drinks eating out. We have breakfast included - but plan on doing the same you did.

Thanks so much for the trip report. I swear they help me pass the time. :-)

Thanks for your good report, another satisfied board customer.

Dare To Deviate
OP Offline
The honeymoon suite was being cleaned one day and I could see in from the lawn. The VH web site has a nice photo too. It seemed like a very pretty room. Biggest plus in my mind was the private deck / patio.

Food costs span the entire range. We ate and drank at a premium most days. Figure $45 - 60 US dollars to do that. You can certianly go cheaper and if you plan on drinking alot add a few more dollars.

We saw a wedding while we were there and the VH staff did a really nice job with it. I think you'll be happy with your choice.

OP Offline
Geez I totally forgot to post about one of the nicest things we did there.

On Sunday we went to the catholic mass right in the center of town. Totally wonderful experience. Very welcoming, nice breeze off the water, waves crashing on the beach, cutest kids in the world.

If you do the church thing, this is not to be missed.

Yes, the church experience is great.
My Hubby especially loves mass there, due to a dog might be sleeping in the aisle.
The kids are beautiful.

Dare To Deviate
S
S
19 days until we arrive at the VH! We are repeat customers! Can't wait!They better have lots of rum ready and waiting! I can taste the panty ripper right now.

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 351 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.