Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Topic Options
#54827 - 07/14/02 01:46 PM Shark feeding and diving and Bonaire and .etc..
wonderbred Offline
Hey guys! I am Brandy, I had a bunch of questions about VH a couple of months ago. I am still going there in November and I read this board everyday, I just don't post much, since I haven't been yet. But watch out when I get back! I am so terribly excited about seeing AC and VH and everything!

Ok, here are some new questions. First off, do the guides/tourists feed the sharks at Shark Alley and any other places? My finacee's dad is a shark expert, and my fiancee is also becoming a zoologist (who will focus more on ecological conservation, not sharks). Anyway, he thinks it would be "scandalous" if he got a fluke bite at some place where they are feeding sharks. (His dad runs the Shark Attack Files and has also spoken out against shark feeding.)

I personally want to feed them and swim with them, and I think Matt will be fine if I fib to him and get him out there. So, I was just checking to see at which sites they do that (and so I can prepare myself with some lil' ol white lies).

Also, I know there have been a lot of posts about the quality of diving there. We went to Bonaire with his family last year, but we only got to dive once because I got seriously sinus-y sick. Is the diving similar? Better/Worse? How is AC compared to Bonaire. Bonaire was not the lap of luxery, but there was good food, and nice snorkeling and diving. I get a simmilar vibe about AC when I read posts.

Ok, any thoughts feedback would ROCK! Thanks, I love you guys!

Brandy Q

#54828 - 07/14/02 04:59 PM Re: Shark feeding and diving and Bonaire and .etc..
Becca & Shawn Offline
Hey Brandy,
We have been to AC several times and have yet to run into guide who is not conscientious of his/her surroundings. Be it the reef, aquatic life or the divers/snorklers. As for shark/ray alley, I make sure not to miss it each time I go. I remember the first time that my fiance and I went there. Looking behind the boat once we arrived there I couldn't help but to recognize these 5-7 ft sharks swimming behind the boat and asked myself "I'm going to jump in the water with those?". Knowing that these sharks probably wouldn't harm a fly, I jumped on in. These sharks/rays have been so conditioned to come right up to you that I have never heard of an incident....As long as you dont shove you're hand in there mouth wondering if they have teeth. But all I can say is enjoy you're time at AC because you'll be back.

#54829 - 07/15/02 06:51 AM Re: Shark feeding and diving and Bonaire and .etc..
KC Offline
At Shark/Ray Alley -- Yes,they do feed the sharks. Sorry if this bums you out. The sharks seem to enjoy it. <just trying to be funny>

Kathy

#54830 - 07/15/02 01:09 PM Re: Shark feeding and diving and Bonaire and .etc..
wonderbred Offline
Oh no, I'm cool with shark feeding an I am sure that I can get Matt to enjoy it to. He is just worried about the one in a trillion chance he would get bitten while at a shark feeding site and his dad would have to document the bite. Shark feeding is not "scientifically smart", but I think it will be awesome.

I am just looking forward to getting my scuba on.

Thanks guys,
BQ

#54831 - 07/15/02 07:07 PM Re: Shark feeding and diving and Bonaire and .etc..
diveron Offline
The sharks at Shark Ray Alley are nurse sharks.

Links
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker
Chronicles

PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
4 registered (Jameela01, Marty, Ricklap, 1 invisible), 29 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,676 Registered Members
44 Forums
64,068 Topics
462,330 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.