Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#55004 07/17/02 09:33 PM
E
OP Offline
E
Warning! More of a catharsis than a trip report.

Well, I have had a few days to try and
readjust, so I think I am ready to give my report now. . .

As many of you know, missed my first flight so arrived FOUR hours early for next attempt. Sat outside closed termianal with two genteleman from Illinois who thought there might be traffic at 2:00am in LA., freezing my but off due to the fact I only had tank on and cold front swept into LA that evening!

Board the plane and am on my way. Exhasted form previous endeavors, decide on cup of hot tea to soothe nerves. Oops, spilled all over right leg of light khaki pants. Oh, well, I will be in SP soon and all will be right with the world. Plane is late getting into Houston, so bit of a mad dash to catch connection. "I will not miss another flight." "I will not miss another flight," I say to myself as I am running through the airport passing strangers on the way chanting the same mantra.

Board my connection. After all the excitement, I deserve a Bloody Mary to coax my anxious body into the proper mood to enter SP. Oops, spilled that one all down the left side of my pants. Oh well, I will be in SP soon and all will be right with the world.

It has now been 10 hours since my last cigarette. "We just need to make a quick stop in Caye Calker" the nice pilot says. No problem. I love landings the best!

Tired, hungry, and definitely overpacked (Two roll bags and carry on), the nice man points the way to Rubies and I set off in my sweat soaked, heavily stained clothing down the dirt road to paradise. Ouch! The bag has fallen on my ankle (which will leave a four inch bruise that lasts two weeks) and broken the left wheel.

I am here! I arrived. I have a room! It has not been given away! Hallelujah!

It is now about 6:00 and all I want to do is crawl in bed and pull the covers over my head. What was I thinking. I am all alone. I look and feel like crap. Maybe I will just stay in and venture out tomorrow. . .

This is the story of the old Kayla. The one who arrived in SP three weeks ago afraid of being alone and not willing to take a chance.

At the very moment I was trying to rationalize staying in my room, I realized that if I did not take a chance right then and there, I would never have the courage to step outside my comfort zone ever again.

I forced myself to change my clothes, wash my face, brush my teeth and head out the door.

My first stop was Fidos. I walked up to the bar and sat down. First time I have ever sat alone at a bar. Right away the bartender asked what I wanted (Panty Ripper of course!) and where I was from etc. etc. In the next five minutes I meet another guy from Holland who lives on the island. I order dinner at the bar. Next I meet another guy who also lives and works on the island. I do not leave the bar until 12:30, happy as a clam I have made a few frinds!

Relaxed and walked up and down the beach all the next day. Met four more people at the hotel that I would hang out with for the next week. Said hello to eveyone, and received a genuine hello right back.

New friends from hotel introduce me to my future dive instuctor at Cholos the next night. Begin the diving on Monday and have a blast every day (Eddie from Amigo's is the best. Can't say enough about this kind and wonderful teacher and friend). Yes, even the book work was fun. I do both my open and advanced open water courses. Love diving from the start. It is not only about what you see I realize, but the entire process of being out there in that magnificent ocean. I can't even describe the feeling I get when I am underwater in that facinating world that most people never see.

The rest of the trip involes diving on most days, going out with friends in the evening, and repeating the process all over again. I met people from everywhere. But the real bonds forged were with those who live on the island. I did get a chance to meet members of the board and it was great to see everyone in person.

I will say that SP is not for everyone (As evidenced by some grumbling on the board). But it is definitely for the kind of people I want to surround myself with. The things I found beautiful, some others might find less than impressive. I loved being in the center of town. I felt at home and at peace the entire time I was there. Ask me about restaurants, and I will tell you about the cart with the great tacos in front of the church, or Ericka's hot dogs across the way.

What I found in SP were people with a truly genuine and generous nature that enjoyed what life is all about. Everyone on the board talked so much about being depressed when they got home. I did not understand this emotional attatchment until now. If a person does not have the same view of SP as many on this board, then I can only assume the people in SP did not touch thier hearts the way they touched mine and so many others.

I laughed, sang, danced, made friends, had fun, and learned a whole new way to look at the way I am living my life. For that I will always be grateful for this trip. I feel like I am a whole new person, and am looking forward to my next adventure with open arms.

Kayla

#55005 07/17/02 09:47 PM
KC Offline
<sniff>
She caught it!

Next thing you know, she will have to join us at our 12-step meetings. "Hello, I am Kayla, and I am a Belizaholic". NOT! None of want to get over it!

Welcome home... and when are ya goin' back?

[Linked Image]

"You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think."
#55006 07/17/02 10:01 PM
E
OP Offline
E
KC

Believe it or not I am going back for three weeks in August. I could not help myself. I have nothing I really have to do until until August 23, so I thought why not! I still have not done the Blue Hole, so I will do that when I go back. Just need to fill the time for the next few weeks and then I am off!

Bye the way, how come no one warned me about gaining weight down there. Got on the scale thgis morning and I have put on 6 pounds!

#55007 07/17/02 10:33 PM
Panty Rippers...Belikins and Street Vendor food...that'll do it every time!

_ _ _ _ _ _ _________________ _ _ _ _ _ _
But then what do I know, I am but a mere caveman
#55008 07/18/02 01:39 AM
Kayla! Wow!

You sure caught it, as KC said. At least you'd been warned. I had no idea what was coming when I first went down. [Linked Image]

How you described how you feel in SP, is just how I feel there. I've been a changed person since the very first time.

And your description of your diving experience really touched me.

Good for you.

Now please introduce yourself.

"Hello, my name is Kayla . . . and I'm an ACholic."

A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

#55009 07/18/02 03:43 AM
O
O
Kayla,
I told you that you would be okay going by yourself. So when are you leaving? Where are you staying? I scared the first vacation by myself, but now I dont even ask anyone any more,I just go and I am gone on the tenth of Aug. Let me know. We will for sure meet up. I have been waiting for a year and now only 23 days to go. I really need a SP fix, it has probably been the worst year of my life since I have been back. So I need to get that AC high back.So, did you take to many clothes?
Jackie

#55010 07/18/02 12:00 PM
E
OP Offline
E
Jackie

I am leaving on either the 1st or the 5th and staying through the 19th. I will be at Rubies again because I really loved this place (Just stop by the office and they will tell you my room number). There is somthing about both the people who work there as well as the guests that makes me feel like I have come home. I am sorry to hear about your tough year, but as you already know AC will wipe those worries from your mind.

About the clothes. . . I can't stress this enough (Yes, Yes, I know some of you told me so!). Take your favorite tanks, shorts, light cotton capris, loose skirts, swim suits, and sarongs. I took two suitcases worth of clothes and proceeded to wear my favorites over and over (About 12 items of clothing).

Typical day's wear: Daytime-Swimsuit under sarong (Don't like to put on shorts over wet bikini bottoms) and tank top to go to beach, diving, lunch, shopping etc. Evening- Cotton capris or skirt with tank top. I did not wear shoes at all. But that is a personal choice.

I am bringing one carry on next time. Also, there is a laundry service down a block from Rubies that will wash everything for 11.00 Belize. I dropped my favorites off last time and picked them up that evening.

Did you say where you are staying?

#55011 07/18/02 12:17 PM
O
O
Kayla,
I am staying at Banana Beach. I will be there on the 10th and I am leaving the island on the 22 and going to Orange walk until the 26th.

Well Ac has alot of good things, but these memories will never go away. I will explain, later.

Jackie

[This message has been edited by o jackie (edited 07-18-2002).]

#55012 07/18/02 12:46 PM
Kayla, you are one of us now, like it or not. Great to know you had a wonderful experience.
We know where you will spend your whole summer next year.
Gaining weight is due to staying in the middle of town. If you are out aways, you have to walk 3 times aday to find food and drinks, and it keeps the pounds off.....sorry we did not tell you that.......LOL
Packing stuff, well if all of us were as cute as you, we would not need as many outfits either. You go girl.

Dare To Deviate
#55013 07/18/02 01:22 PM
E
OP Offline
E
Jackie

Got the address in my book now. You can go ahead and delete and I will write you later.

Kayla

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 312 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.