Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
B
Balboa Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Well, we are extremely cheesed that we are visiting AC next week. We will be arriving on July 27 into Belize City.

We are staying at the Villas at Banyan Bay. Does anyone have any comment on this resort? Does this resort provide bicycles or some form of transport around the island?

We are on sortof a budget so I was wondering what people thought about daytrips?

What are the "not to miss" places to eat?
Where can we eat cheap?

Should we rent a golfcart to go to the northern part of the island? If so, should we go to "Mexico Rocks"? Can you snorkle from the beach at "Mexico Rocks?"

Where do we party?

If we only did a couple snorkle trips, what dive leader should we use and where should we go?

I may follow up with more questions as I am a relative n00b at this stuff.

Thanks
Best wishes
Balboa

Well, your first time, huh? I hope it turns out as magical as ellydognme's trip - see her report! [Linked Image]

Ok, I don't know anything about Villas, but heard it's nice and was going to stay there on one trip, but plans changed.

As to other questions:

Eating: Don't miss Caliente. Have some Gorditas or Coconut shrimp. More reasonably priced for lunch than dinner. Portions for lunch, at least, are big. Breakfast - Estelle's was my favorite, and Lily's a close second. You can get coffee and banana bread/juice at Ruby's for very cheap. Lot's of other good places, I'll leave those recommendations to others. I liked the food at Fido's as well - but some say they're overpriced.

Day trips: I'd do as much as you can on your budget. Go see Sandy at SEArious, and ask her to hook you up. The Manatee trip was my favorite - snorkeling, beach BBQ - it's $75, but it's all day and lunch is included as well as a stop at Caye Caulker. Willie and Ricky are both excellent guides.

Snorkeling - never did Mexico Rocks, but Hol Chan shouldn't be missed. Again, Sandy can take care of that - it's $20 or $25 for a couple of hours. Jeffrey is a great guide for that, but whoever they have will be terriffic, I'm sure.

Where to party? Where not to party? Start at Fido's and ask around where the hotspot of the night is. My personal favorites were Dockside on Wednesday (ladies' night), and Barefoot Iguana on Friday night.

Have an awesome time!

S
S
Order any grilled seafood (lobster, shrimp, grouper, snapper) over coconut rice at The Reef, and a watermelon daiquiri -- or the same at the Ambergris Pizzeria (I swear the fish there is the BEST!).
Sweet Basil's for rum punch. Mango Margaritas at Mango's. Lobster fritters at Fido's. Ask for Max at Aqua Dives...you'll have a blast!

cbs
Stroll south down the beach(about 200yds) to MataRocks beach-bar,friendlist place on beach...Tell them that "crazy Texan" sent you.......Also don't miss Jambel-Jerk in town, SPICY;But great....

John
O
O
Never stayed at the villas.
A not a for sure place to miss eating at would be,Papis. The street vendors at very good also.

On a budget,hum. I would suggest a Beach BBQ, I went with Caribe de Sol,Jerry. We snorkeled at Mexican Rocks and they spearfished and caught lobster and snappper then we went to a private beach and cooked out, it was very nice and that was the meal of the day, alot of food. The catamaran with Hustler was also nice. We went to Hol Chan and then to Caye Caulker for lunch and stopped at Shark Ray Alley to snorkel again.

Party would be at Ladies night on Wednesday at Dockside, off Hustler. Dancing and cheap drinks, but very crowded. Fidos is also a great hang out, with live music.

My family and I stayed at Banyan Bay on one of my trips to Belize last year, and it was terrific.

Among my favorite places to eat on the island: Capricorn, Jam-Bel Jerk, Blue Water Grill (at least for the coconut shrimp appetizers), Papi's Diner, The Reef, Sweet Basil, Caliente and Jade Garden. Of these, Papi's, The Reef, Jade Garden and Jam-Bel Jerk are inexpensive to moderately priced. For ultra-cheap, try the street vendors near "Central Park," Ruby's for breakfast, or places like Anijitos San Telmo or Master Lee's.

Or, since you have a full kitchen, buy groceries and fix some meals in-house. Have soft drinks/beer delivered by the case from the distributor.

Definitely rent a cart -- you'll need one as it's really too far to walk back and forth to town from Banyan Bay -- though doubt you will be able to get part of the way up north, to a little beyond Captain Morgan's with it (and some cart renters don't want you to go that far or even to take it across the river).

--Lan Sluder
San Pedro Cool, the first and only travel guidebook to Ambergris Caye www.belizefirst.com

Lan Sluder/Belize First
http://www.belizefirst.com
Lan
FYI
there is a golf cart freeway as far as Journeys End, thanks to Casey Moore and Don Beto (Mayor)
We, north of the cut, can actually barhop now without a boat--cool!!
Jim

Jim
S
S
Wow "Extremely cheesed huh?"

Excuse me?

Jim

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 327 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.