Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#55958 08/16/02 02:09 PM
OP Offline
*****Please note I keep adding pictures to the album on this link.*****They keep gettin better!*****

Here is the link to view some of the pics from our summer camp in Big Falls.
http://www.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=67b0de21b304bd9ce489&notag=1

Also there are more links to come-> below

[This message has been edited by sarahsmile (edited 08-19-2002).]

#55959 08/16/02 02:34 PM
the children are beautiful. can you update us on all of your accomplishments.
gay

#55960 08/16/02 02:40 PM
Sarah, what joyeous children, with a million smiles. Summer camp sure looks like great fun.
Sarah really has a great smile, hence your name.

Dare To Deviate
#55961 08/16/02 02:41 PM
OP Offline
I posted this before....here it is again...I will add more below.

The camp went nicely. We had lots of supplies and the kids enjoyed themselves.
Our group suffered a bit since there were 18 of us including our invisible volunteer who
we eventually discovered and named! That was amusing...we got all the way to Big
Falls with head counts along the way and each time we came up with 18 people in our
group! At the airport when we first checked all of our bags and tubs of supplies we
could not figure why we were over by 1 tub!
Finally, when we arrived in Big Falls at the Colemans, we were trying to see how many
tubs had not arrived since Tropic air could only hold so many of our tubs per trip. In
figuring this all out we took another head count and holy cow!...we were missing our
18th person but we were all there! SO we named that mysterious person, Laura! Not
sure where that came from?!
Our group was so diverse and so large it was a challenge not to get on each others
nerves. Not to mention we were all struck by virus or some fecally-orally transmitted
bacteria or something that kept us, all except for me and one other person, down with
vomiting and diarrhea. I eliminated food and water as contaminants and learned some
of the kids had been ill too. Again, not to mention that they were spraying poisons to
kill the mosquitos because of a Dengue fever outbreak! When I spent the nights in the
homes with the village families, the kids stayed up all night crying and tearing up their
little faces that burned and itched from the poisons. Some had to stay home from
camp they got so bad. Our other fight was those damn little bitting flies...I never could
unsterstand the name they called them but everyone remarked how bad they were
recently, I guess from all the rain?!?!

Another amusing point was how I had not gotten sick but had gotten one of these flies
trapped in my boxer shorts..it must have been the night I slept on the floor in this one
house. It must have gotten stuck in my shorts because the next day I was itching my
waist band. I pulled my shorts down to see I was covered in bites all over my butt
cheeks! Now that was amusing! Then I pulled out my snake bite kit which said it was
good for fly bites...lol...I ended up with marks that looked like hickys or bruises all over
my be-hind!
Never the less I had a good time and got to see some pretty exciting things. I even
got to meet two people from here, Quaxiru and Jim from Pier Lounge...Hi!
Besides the camp we got to visit 2 water falls, one in Santa Cruz and one in
Cockscomb. I went to a church service for a 1 year anniversary of a boy who died in
the village last year while we were there. I went to service in San Felipe, beautiful
area, for celebrating new musicians being inducted into the church. I am not religious
but I enjoy the singing and music produced in the services. I also got comfortable and
accepted offerings of Caldo, Potch, and other traditional meals. Yum!
I went bathing in the river as usual and this time even washed clothes there too! I
asked to borrow soap froam a litle grl bathing next to me...she went and got some and
then watched with amazement...then she and her sister must have felt more
comfortable because they moved closer down the rocks to me and began to play with
me as we washed! They were all smiles then!
I even got asked if I was looking for a husband...but I was not the only one who was
asked that. I almost was convinced into staying...yeah, this time I really felt at home!
At our festival I dressed as a clown and acted up...they love to see the way I clown
myself! I even danced the Punta..as a clown and as myself...although I was much more
comfortable as the clown!

We even went north to Blackman Eddy where there is a UB campus that we might start
a second camp at next year as requested by one of our contacts. So we will be doing
more fundraising efforts for that too!

I don't think I will go with our group next year but I will still be coordinating fundraising
efforts and will be traveling on my own so that I can get more accomplished. Anyone
interested in helping me raise funds is certainly welcome to contact me!

We are also trying to put together a foundation here in the states so that we can
collect funds raised and so we will be able to transfer money between our Belizean
contact's foundation and ours so as to award scholarships to Belizean students that
complete our camp and show outstanding community commitment. Also to maybe make
an exchange program for our college students and theirs. Lots of work, commitment
and fundraising but I believe that it is so worth it!

These are all ideas that spawned from this year's trip!

#55962 08/16/02 02:52 PM
applause applause to you sarah

#55963 08/16/02 05:14 PM
OP Offline
Thanks for the applause!

Lets see there is so much to tell but I have been on this computer all day!

I do have something bothering me but I will put that under Other Parts of Belize. So please check there for that.

Unfortunately many of my $100 worth of pictures did not come out and if they did they were very dark. Thats what I get from using 13 disposable cameras, eh!
I do have more pics from the north but I will get then loaded later...this hand scanning one at a time takes all day! So keep an eye out cuz those ones are good!

Let me give you all an idea of what activities we actually did at camp and maybe some of our group will send me more pics soon. Well thanks to so many of you who supported us, we had an abundance of supplies. We made tee shirts with puffy paints and marker, we planted seeds, measured plant growth, made graph charts to record data, did an exercise out in the field with stations that were spread out in scale of the alignement of the planets-that was a job!, ummm...made mini huricanes by connecting two 2L soda bottles together filled with water and glitter, looked through microscopes at slides of things like 32 and 73 hr chick embryo-euglena-paramesium-cells-lung tissue-muscle and others, made filters and filtered water, played the word hat game, math games, language arts games, mad libs stories, looked thu prisms made rainbows, learned about clouds and weather, and so much more.
Then at the festival we made sock puppets, picture frames to go with the polaroid pictures that I was able to take of each camper, painted nails, and other out doors activities. Then finished off by handing out goodie bags and dancing, oh and clowning of course!

#55964 08/18/02 01:36 AM
OP Offline

#55965 08/18/02 02:50 AM
OP Offline
Also keep checking the first link for more photos that I am adding as I scan them. [Linked Image]

#55966 08/19/02 02:28 PM
i wear my t-shirt all the time [Linked Image]

#55967 08/19/02 06:22 PM
OP Offline
Cool that is so great!, I got mine signed by all the kids only to have it rained on and find out the markers were not exactly water proof!
S

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 372 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.