Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Topic Options
#55981 - 08/17/02 02:36 PM Trip Report (part 3)
CMNate Offline
Sat. morning I woke up and got all of my recording devices together and headed to town. I just happened to stop at George's Country Kitchen and have breakfast when I priviledged to overhear (as opposed to eavsdropping on) a conversation of two men (at least one was a developer talking about real estate on the island). After that I made my way downtown and passed by some familiar real estate company signs. They have listings taped to the doors so I browsed a bit. I walked into Coldwell Banker/Triton Properties because they not only answered my email, but I got a good vibe from the way that they responded (some of the other responses were a little cold or I didn't get one at all). I met Fran and Roger and spoke with them a bit. They were very accomodating (even though I told them I would be in Friday afternoon). I asked them if they still had time to show me some properties and they basically showed me anything that I wanted to see and gave me there perspectives on living on the island and real estate trends. This included a boat ride all the way to Mexico Rocks. We would have gone further, but there was lightning ahead of us and the water was getting a little rough. While we were gassing up I looked straight ahead to see a sign on a bar "CHOLOS".
After looking at a few more places I pretty much figured that they had put me way ahead of my schedule. I kinda lounged around the rest of the day and I finally got to meet up with O Jackie.
I took a 3 1/2 bike to the South end of the island and then to the North (up to Captain Morgans). I spoke with a few other managers of condos/villas while on my trip.
All in all it was a great trip. I have learned so much in so little time. Would I like to spend more time there? DEFINITELY! Did I buy anything? NO! It's a matter of dollars and cents now. I found some places that were beyond my budget, but I think I at least know what the prices ranges are and what areas I like. I even rode over to the not as nice areas of the island and had a chance to speak briefly with a surveyor in the government housing section. The chance that I do buy something in the future is at least 50%.
I was fortunate to meet a number of people that live on the island and all were delightful. I even met up with Tim and his partner and friends (what a great group of guys).
I have already booked my next flight for late November. If I go before then, it's real serious.
The food was good the people were friendly and most of all, I can see myself blending right in (literally). Spanish classes start next week.
There's so much more, but I've said enough here.

#55982 - 08/17/02 03:00 PM Re: Trip Report (part 3)
NYgal Offline
I like your style.

Good travelogue !
Thanks for sharing.

#55983 - 08/17/02 03:01 PM Re: Trip Report (part 3)
SeaJay Offline
Don't stop now Nate....tell us more! We all (or at least most of us) love to hear all about people's experiences.

#55984 - 08/17/02 09:02 PM Re: Trip Report (part 3)
tincup Offline
Nate - nice report! Wonder when in November you plan to be in AC. We will be going Nov 16 to 24, but only the last three days or so in AC. We like to see other parts of the country on each trip. If you are there the same time we are we would be happy to meet with you and share our experiences in buying property in Belize. We have been visiting Belize for 8 years now and are just starting our construction (for various reasons).
Glad you enjoyed your trip.

#55985 - 08/18/02 03:25 PM Re: Trip Report (part 3)
CMNate Offline
I won't be getting in until the 29th. I'll be up in Cancun before then (my annual visit). Who knows, I may have to pay another visit before then. I'll be meeting with some friends (and potential partners) later today to discuss my trip. Hopefully I can get them to fly down in the next couple of months to check out things for themselves.
What area did you decide on?

#55986 - 08/18/02 04:35 PM Re: Trip Report (part 3)
tincup Offline
We bought 1.3 acres beachfront about 2 1/2 miles north 7 years ago. However. I'm not sure what I would do now given the higher prices. I did entertain swapping my property for a condo at one point. Decided against it after much deliberation. Your best bet is probably a condo if you can find one that is well run and doesn't have too many strings attached. However, what looks well managed today may not be tomorrow. You need to have a complete understanding of what you are buying into, especially if you will need to rent out the property to make your purchase possible. Good luck.

Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker

TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 40 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,638 Registered Members
44 Forums
63,734 Topics
461,302 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 02:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.