Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#56025 - 08/18/02 09:52 AM Going in Nov-02
deb1022 Offline
Looking for some feedback on Tropica Beach Resort. We stayed at Caribbean Villas last year but would like a pool to kick back at. Besides my father is going with myself and husband this time since my mother passed away this past Feb. Thought he might like a vacation to relax. Just hope he doesn't get there and say where the hell did you bring me now?? We love it, but when you show pics to some people they are like why did you go there. You don't know until you get there how beautiful it is, and that's why we are going back. I think I might have to be sedated soon because I can't wait until November. By the way, I got tickets out of Detroit US Air for $358 total. Half of what we paid last year. Again, please feedback on Tropica. Thanks.

[This message has been edited by deb1022 (edited 08-18-2002).]

#56026 - 08/18/02 01:22 PM Re: Going in Nov-02
Rick&Rachel Offline
My husband and I took our first trip to AC last September and stayed at Tropica Beach Resort. . .needless to say, we are now smitten with Belize and are returning again in just 4 weeks! (Sorry to rub it in!) We decided to stay at Tropica again this year, even requesting the same room! It was just our speed!
It has a great stretch of beach and very comfy padded beach lounges are provided. They have their own dive shop which will arrange sea/land excursions for you and the staff was very friendly and courteous. We ate at their restaurant, The Seagrill, 2 nights and had several great breakfasts there also. The rooms are very comfortable. Not luxurious by any means, but clean and simple (how often are you in the room anyway, right?)
We truly have only the best feelings toward Tropica. We were trapped there 3 extra nights during Sept. 11 last year and they were very kind in giving us a greatly reduced room rate.
We highly recommend Tropica to anyone looking for a place to kick back and who enjoys a more simple, island style hotel. I hope we helped you out! Enjoy your trip whatever you decide to do!

P.S. Oh, the pool and poolside bar are pretty awesome too!

#56027 - 08/18/02 04:19 PM Re: Going in Nov-02
deb1022 Offline
Thanks for the reply. I booked rooms 9 & 10 today-upper with a beautiful view. Could you tell me if they have coffee makers in the room? If not I will be bringing a hot plate or something I have to have my coffee in the morning and at night when I'm sitting outside enjoying the view. We are thinking about going to Caye Caulker this time around. Hear alot of good things about it. We snorkled with Alphonse last year and he has a trip that stops 4 different places to snorkle and Caye Cauker is one. I don't know how much there is to do at Caye Caulker, but willing to find out.

#56028 - 08/18/02 04:49 PM Re: Going in Nov-02
rickcheri Offline
Who did you purchase tickets from??? We'll be there Oct29-Nov 7th!!

#56029 - 08/18/02 05:01 PM Re: Going in Nov-02
deb1022 Offline
Tickets were purchased last weekend on Travelocity US Air. Today I went into Travelocity to checks rates and they are up to $560 pp. I was on the message board last weekend and someone was talking about $305 out of Detroit, so I went into the website and booked. Prices change so quickly. I would keep checking everyday.

#56030 - 08/18/02 05:34 PM Re: Going in Nov-02
Johnboy Offline
Deb1022---What airline are you flying?????

#56031 - 08/18/02 09:48 PM Re: Going in Nov-02
Rick&Rachel Offline
Room 9 was our room, too! It does have a beautiful view! The upper rooms truly are the best.
There are no coffee makers in the room, but they do come everyday to fill a water cooler in the room with fresh ice and water. Most people we noticed got their coffee from the restaurant.
Caye Caulker is VERY laid back, even more so than AC. We hired a private guide to take us to some of the better snorkeling sites and we stopped there for lunch. Really was not a whole lot going on though.

#56032 - 08/18/02 11:05 PM Re: Going in Nov-02
deb1022 Offline
Thanks for the reply. Did you do any snorkeling at the beach at Tropica. They told me there is a sandbar out front that is pretty neat to spend time on. I wish we were going sooner, but the wait is half the fun, I guess. Have you had breakfast at the little screened in place across the street? I think it is family owned and run. It might be called Andojitos. It was excellent, real Belizian.
How long are you staying? Maybe I don't want to know. Keep my room clean while your there. And let us know when you get back all the details. I just realized I'll still be here in Ohio waiting to go In November.

#56033 - 08/18/02 11:08 PM Re: Going in Nov-02
deb1022 Offline
I bought 3 RT tickets on Travelocity. Out of Detroit on US Air. We stop in Charlotte then onto Belize City. I'd like to buy a dozen.

#56034 - 08/18/02 11:25 PM Re: Going in Nov-02
d-jon Offline
deb1022, as you're bringing your Dad, why not consider somewhere nearer in town?

I would greatly recommend the Blue Tang Inn. It has swimming pool right on the beach. Also each room comes equipt with kitchen which is complete. Tropica does not.

If you want more info you can e-mail at
Hi, trina I would suggest the Orange Walk area. There is a lot to offer there. In particular there is the Lamanai Outpost lodge that offers exactly what you're looking for. You can contact me if you need more info at djones@btl.net

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker

TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 113 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,631 Registered Members
44 Forums
63,679 Topics
461,169 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 02:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.