Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#56049 - 08/19/02 06:14 PM Alexandra of Mayan Secrets inducted into USA Gymnastics Hall of Fame
Marty Offline
Alexandra (of Mayan Secrets) has been inducted into the US Gymnastics Hall of Fame (last week).

It will be aired on NBC Sept 1 along with the US MENS NATIONAL
CHAMPIONSHIPS. here's some information off the US gymnastics website...

Alexandra Nicholson - Athlete
A two-time world champion in trampoline. Described as the greatest woman trampolinist in the history of the sport. Recently honored by the World Acrobatic Society. Was never defeated in any competition she entered. Held record for highest start value and degree of difficulty in competition for several years until improvements of the trampoline were enforced. Currently runs the Maruba Resort and
Jungle Spa in Belize.
http://www.usa-gymnastics.org/safety-and-education/congress/2002/hof02.html

Alexandra Nicholson
A two-time world champion in trampoline (1972, 1974), Nicholson was undefeated in the six years that she competed for coach Bob Bollinger of Trampoline Town USA. In addition to her World Championships success, Nicholson also won 12 national titles. She was the first woman in the world to ever compete a "Triffes", a forward triple somersault with a half twist. She remains the last U.S. trampolinist to have won a gold medal in international competition.

Nicholson's trampoline fame led her to guest performances at Radio City Music Hall, Madison Square Garden, the Mike Douglas Show, with the Harlem Globetrotters, at Buckingham Palace in London for Queen Elizabeth, in the movie "Billy Jack", and as the featured half-time entertainment at a Los Angeles Lakers basketball game. Upon the completion of her trampoline career, Nicholson attended UCLA, where she competed for both the gymnastics and track teams.

In 2001, Nicholson was honored with the title of "Acrobatic Legend" from the World Acrobatic Society. She was described as "The Greatest Woman Trampolinist" in the history of the sport. Nicholson currently resides in Belize, where she is the owner of Mayan Secrets, a business which promotes Belize through the manufacturing of skin and beauty products made from all natural ingredients found in the Belizean rainforests.

http://www.usa-gymnastics.org/news/2002/july26-02halloffame.html

CONGRATULATIONS TO ALEXANDRA! WHAT AN INCREDIBLE ATHLETE AS WELL AS PERSON!

Here's her website: http://MayanSecrets.com

[This message has been edited by Marty (edited 08-22-2002).]

#56050 - 08/20/02 01:36 AM Re: Alexandra of Mayan Secrets inducted into USA Gymnastics Hall of Fame
KC Offline
Amazing! I had no idea Alexandra was such an accomplished and famous gymnast! I guess the USA Gymnastics Hall of Fame must consider a trampolinist a gymnast or they wouldn't have honored her in their organization.

That is quite an accomplishment!

Kathy

#56051 - 08/20/02 02:04 AM Re: Alexandra of Mayan Secrets inducted into USA Gymnastics Hall of Fame
rickcheri Offline
Would like to congrats her on her achievments on this and for the country of Belize!!!!! Her and Marion have done wonders for the country and the knowledgement here in the states and world wide for the Country of Belize!!!!
You go girls!!!!

I LOVE THIS COUNTRY!!!!! YES I DO!!!!! C

[This message has been edited by rickcheri (edited 08-19-2002).]

[This message has been edited by rickcheri (edited 08-24-2002).]

#56052 - 08/20/02 02:37 AM Re: Alexandra of Mayan Secrets inducted into USA Gymnastics Hall of Fame
CMNate Offline
Thanks for the info Marty. I have some friends that are former (elite) gymnasts and had the opportunity to meet one of their friends several years ago. He was also a world (or at least national) title holder. Back in those days (and probably well into the 90's) most people who jumped on the trampolines (competitively) were gymnasts. Congrats to Alexandra!!!

Nate

[This message has been edited by CMNate (edited 08-20-2002).]

#56053 - 08/20/02 01:44 PM Re: Alexandra of Mayan Secrets inducted into USA Gymnastics Hall of Fame
bywarren Offline
Cheri: for God's sake, you owe it to your sport, get on the phone ASAP and contact USA Gymnastics, Intenational Gymnastics Federation, International Olympic Committee and save them the further embarassment of continuing to have the trampoline event in their competitions. I would do it myself, but I think it needs to come from a former great gymnast and coach like you. They probably would just hang up on me, not even taking the time to tell me how stupid and uninformed they thought I was.

My personal opinion is, she is definately worth meeting. I am sure she would enjoy meeting you and exchanging autographs.

The History of Trampoline & Tumbling Gymnastics

Trampoline became a competitive event in 1936. From 1947 through 1964, trampolining was included as an event in gymnastics competitions by both the AAU and NCAA. The first trampoline World Championships were held in 1964, and trampoline was first recognized as a sport in its own right in the United States in 1967. Trampoline made its debut as an Olympic sport at the 2000 Olympic Games in Sydney, Australia.

[This message has been edited by bywarren (edited 08-20-2002).]

[This message has been edited by bywarren (edited 08-20-2002).]

#56054 - 08/20/02 02:53 PM Re: Alexandra of Mayan Secrets inducted into USA Gymnastics Hall of Fame
sanpedroslim Offline
Congrats to Ms. Nicholson! What an honour to be inducted into any hall of fame! Well done! Too bad others can't see the merit.

#56055 - 08/20/02 06:43 PM Re: Alexandra of Mayan Secrets inducted into USA Gymnastics Hall of Fame
KC Offline
LOL!

#56056 - 08/21/02 04:24 AM Re: Alexandra of Mayan Secrets inducted into USA Gymnastics Hall of Fame
KC Offline
I am under the impression that this honor was bestowed very recently. I trust they know what they are doing.

K

#56057 - 08/21/02 01:28 PM Re: Alexandra of Mayan Secrets inducted into USA Gymnastics Hall of Fame
bywarren Offline
KC, you are right, they know what they are doing and talking about. Unlike some on this board.

I am going to have to take a break from this for awhile and get some quality time beating my head against one of my log walls. I can't believe some people say what they say here. I hope they are yanking chains and are not really that stupid. This could be a new low.

And, if it is not stupidity, then I think it shows a lack of respect for the person awarded, the sport and USA Gymnastics.

[This message has been edited by bywarren (edited 08-21-2002).]

#56058 - 08/22/02 03:26 AM Re: Alexandra of Mayan Secrets inducted into USA Gymnastics Hall of Fame
JmHanna Offline
By
I have been pondering a post on my verandah for a successful suicide attempt after reading this thread. I agree with you and that is even more frightening.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Links
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker
Chronicles

PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
2 registered (2 invisible), 64 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,672 Registered Members
44 Forums
64,039 Topics
462,246 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.