Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#56176 - 08/22/02 04:33 PM Need Advice! Please help!
ScubaLiz Offline
******I also posted this in the "General Chat Area" but some suggested I post it here as well, so....*****

I have decided to plan a last minute diving trip to Belize. I called my local dive shop and they recommended Amigos del Mar. I sent them an e-mail this morning and am waiting to hear back. So I think (hope!) that I am settled on that front. The problem is I have NO CLUE where to stay. I have looked at what feels like a million different web sites all of which suggest different places. I will be staying in Ambergris Caye for 5 - 7 days (depends on the cost of accomodations). Also, it will just be me travelling so I do want somewhere that has a beach/pool so I can relax outside and not feel trapped in my hotel room. I want a place that is nice, convenient and not too expensive (especially since every place seems to have a "single supplement" charge). I will be arriving there on Sunday. Initially I didn't think I wanted to stay in town. In fact, I was looking at the Journey's End resort until I read some REALLY bad reviews and canned that idea. I started looking at hotels in town because they are near the dive shop that was recommended to me. Is it possible to spend +/- $100 per night? Any ideas on where to stay (or where NOT to stay)? Thank you!!

#56177 - 08/22/02 05:03 PM Re: Need Advice! Please help!
paflsu Offline

We just left the exotic caye beach resort (playador) on monday. We got a good deal on a room with a kitchen for $60 US. There is a pier with a dive shop right at the hotel and it is far enough south of town so it is not crowded, but a 10 minute walk will get you to downtown. We had a great time.

#56178 - 08/22/02 05:05 PM Re: Need Advice! Please help!
Sandcrab Offline
Tropica Beach Resort or Banana Beach Resort. They both are south of town about 1-1/2 miles. Both have a beach area and pools. Banana Beach has 1 bedroom with kitchen or hotel rooms. Off season rates should be near $100/night at either.

#56179 - 08/22/02 05:10 PM Re: Need Advice! Please help!
Gee, Liz you follow directions very well. Add Coconuts and Playador to the list you already have. It's gonna get confusing REAL quick on this board because there are hundreds of alternatives and a lot of posters. For my money if you can get can a small kitchen and fridge facilities for a few bucks more, it sure makes it all more comfy. That would be in the $75 to $100 price range. Send Woody an email at Corona Del Mar (next to the Playador) and see what he can cook up for ya. This is a great time of year for a bit of a bargain on SP.

#56180 - 08/22/02 08:06 PM Re: Need Advice! Please help!
Soonergirl Offline
Was in A.C. last week - One Bedroom Suite with kitchenette for $73.50 plus tax per night - Bedroom is the only room air conditioned but that's all we needed - Staff is great they helped with everyhting - They even called us at the airport and told us we left a lighter in the room - Short walk to San Pedro

#56181 - 08/22/02 08:15 PM Re: Need Advice! Please help!
Corinne Offline
Hi, We returned from our first time trip and got certified with Amigos del Mar. Eddie was our dive master and he was great!!! We stayed at the Blue Tang which was just a few minutes from Amigos. The price is in your stated range too. The pool was very small but the place and people were great! Good luck in deciding.

#56182 - 08/23/02 09:56 AM Re: Need Advice! Please help!
lilwings Offline
Just returned from AC and highly recommend Amigos Del Mar Dive Shop. We had them recommened to us, plus we checked out some of the others and we were most impressed with Amigos. Great group of people. I can't help you with a place to stay because we stayed up on the North End at Captain Morgan's. I can tell you that we loved it and it was everything we wanted. Good luck and enjoy.

If you get the chance do dive the Blue Hole. It is a short dive but just an amazind dive. So glad I did it. Good Luck.

#56183 - 08/23/02 12:40 PM Re: Need Advice! Please help!
bush pig Offline
Ditto what paflsu said we just left playador on the 14 and very much enjoyed our stay except for 1 item. Not having drinking water (purified) at the place. We went in and bought a 5 gallon jug of water at the Belikin depot. We were close to town but not too close (quiet but close enough to walk to town). We booked through Capricorn Leisure Corp.

#56184 - 08/23/02 04:49 PM Re: Need Advice! Please help!
IslandFan Offline
Since I'm still undecided on where to stay, I'm enjoying reading everyone's responses. Soonergirl, where did you stay? You told us everything about the place, except the name.

#56185 - 08/23/02 06:03 PM Re: Need Advice! Please help!
Soonergirl Offline
OOPS! 7 SEAS - Papi's Diner is located directly behind 7 Seas also, that's a plus- Great Lobster Dinner for $15.US & yummy Pina Coladas -

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker

TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 37 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,635 Registered Members
44 Forums
63,711 Topics
461,241 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 02:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.