Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#56351 08/26/02 05:30 PM
C
CMNate Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Has anyone had any experience buying furniture (on the mainland or in Mexico) and bringing it onto the island (preferably Rotan)? Any stores to recommend? Websites? I'm just trying to get an idea of what it might cost to furnish a new place. The furniture packages seem to range from $5,000 US to $15,000 US (which seems high to me).

Thanks,

Nate

#56352 08/26/02 08:16 PM
KC Offline
No doubt about it. It is expensive to furnish a house nicely on AC. I bought all furniture locally. Rattan from Hummingbird, and had wood stuff made by Graniel, which was far less expensive than the Rattan. I love Graniel's. I can take in a drawing or picture of what I want and they will make it. I have never been dissatisfied with the results. Usually it far exceeds my expectations. I took in a photo of an "entertainment center" recently, and they made it for a fraction of what it was in the catalog I cut it out of.

We furnished a 2 bedroom, 3 bath, almost 2000 sqft home, and spent more than your high estimate. [Linked Image]

Kathy

Kathy

[This message has been edited by KC (edited 08-26-2002).]

"You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think."
#56353 08/26/02 10:09 PM
C
CMNate Offline OP
OP Offline
C
WOW! Well, I'll be furnishing a place less than half the size of your place. Also, since I'll be renting it most of the time, I won't be looking for high end furniture. Are there stores on the island that you order from? How about used furniture stores?

#56354 08/26/02 10:13 PM
nate, her house is beautiful. she has a website for it.

#56355 08/26/02 10:17 PM
D
D
there is also locally made wooden furnitures that are well made especially if you get them made from a wood called "Salm" and have it varnished.

Hi, trina I would suggest the Orange Walk area. There is a lot to offer there. In particular there is the Lamanai Outpost lodge that offers exactly what you're looking for. You can contact me if you need more info at [email protected]
#56356 08/26/02 11:02 PM
KC Offline
Nate,
I ordered all furniture on-line and/or via e-mail. There is also a wood furniture place on middle street. I don't know the name, but I call it "the mennonite place". I don't think there are any second-hand furniture stores on the island. If so, I have never seen them. I ordered mattresses from Belize City, and they delivered them. I think there were three grades, and I went for the best one -- hate sleeping on a yucky mattress. I have never actually been to Belize City to shop, but I would assume that things could be found on the mainland for a bit less, and then shipped over.

We rent out, too, and so far have not had any damage to anything (knock on wood), though I know to expect it at some time. The one thing that did surprise me is that people take/lose towels. Lost all of our beach towels. Amazing. I have replaced them, but I also tell people to bring their own if they have them. Just the cost of doing business.

One thing that I could not find in San Pedro for a reasonable price was kitchenware. The nice electric skillet I got at home for $29.99 on sale, was $100.00 in San Pedro! Yes, US dollars! The reasonably priced cookware there was crap, very thin aluminum. I brought almost all of our kitchen stuff from the U.S. I love to cook, and I need my toys! I even have an ice shaver for those "special" drinks. LOL!

Good luck. If you have more questions, just ask. Furnishing the house was an "adventure" to say the least! It's a work in progress... every time I go I bring more stuff. This time I'm taking a small sewing machine so I can make new things when I want. (Yes, I pay duty on the stuff I bring in. It's not that much, and I figure I owe it). They have been very reasonable in their assessments at the airport.

And thanks to Sweet Jane for the kind words!

Kathy

"You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think."
#56357 08/26/02 11:32 PM
C
CMNate Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Thanks Kathy, I would probably bring the small items down myself also. I wasn't sure about sending things there from online orders. I'll definitely take a closer look at things when I'm down there in Nov.

Nate

#56358 08/27/02 12:17 AM
KC Offline
Nate,

I hope I didn't mislead you with the on-line ordering thing. To clarify: The things I ordered on-line were from vendors IN BELIZE. I did not order things (like sheets from a U.S. manufacturer, for example) and have them sent to Belize. That would be a huge hassle, I think, with customs.

Kathy

#56359 08/27/02 02:17 AM
C
CMNate Offline OP
OP Offline
C
No you didn't. I would bring things like that (sheets and small items) across myself.
I'll look into duties as far as larger items that I might like to bring across the border.
Do you have any of the websites in Belize City?
Nate

#56360 08/27/02 12:25 PM
KC Offline
From this website you can link..
go to "goods and services"

The bamboo store: bamboobelize.com
e-mail: [email protected]

then if you click on the e-shop belize icon it will take you to
Hummingbird Rattan.

There are a couple.

Kathy

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 168 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,204
Posts500,028
Members20,468
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.