Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#56443 08/28/02 10:30 AM
M
OP Offline
M
Hi - my husband and I will be traveling to Belize for the first time. We were planning on spending a couple of days in the jungle (Blancaneux Lodge)...would you recommend this? Then, we were going to travel to Ambergis Caye...this is where we need help! Through books and websites I've seen the following that sound nice (Ramon's Village, Xanadu, Belize Yacht Club, Belizean Reef Suites, Caribbean Villas, etc). Any advice on these or others that you'd recommend is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

#56444 08/28/02 10:57 AM
G
G
IF PRICE IS NOT A HUGE ISSUE I WOULD STAY AT ONE OF THESE 3 PLACES: (not in any particular order)

1)NORTH.. R&R VERY PRIVATE AND GREAT FOOD =MATA CHICA

2) NORTH.. FOR DIVERS =PLAYA BLANCA

BOTH ARE "OFF THE BEATEN PATH" A PLUS FOR SOME AND A NEGATIVE FOR OTHERS...YOUR CALL!

3) SOUTH.. VICTORIA HOUSE PROBABLY THE BEST OF ALL WORLDS GOOD RESTAURANT, BEAUTIFUL GROUNDS, BIKEABLE TO TOWN...

#56445 08/28/02 12:16 PM
D
D
My wife and I stayed at Blacaneaux and loved it.The road off of the Western highway is pretty rough. I think it took us 45 mins to travel 19 miles to the lodge.There are some beautiful waterfalls and lodges in the Mountains Pine Ridge.If you can swing it try to get one of the villas.The food is fantastic and reasonably priced.

On AC Victoria House is very nice and the Villas at Banyan Bay would also be a good choice.There are many other nice hotels on AC just read the board and ask questions, Im sure you'll find all the info you need.

Have a great trip!

Ron

#56446 08/28/02 01:03 PM
I agree completely with Ron's assessment of Blancaneaux and VH and Villas at Banyan Bay.

The only thing I would say about Blancaneaux is that the setting may not be quite what you expect in a "jungle" lodge, as part of the Mountain Pine Ridge is a little like the southern Appalachians, with red clay and pine woods (though the Southern Pine Beetle has destroyed much of the pine forest). So it's not exactly the Tarzan-style jungle you might be expecting. However, not far from Blancaneaux -- which still has beautiful grounds -- are some areas of broad leaf bush and as noted there are many waterfalls and other wonderful things to see in that area, not to mention its (relative) proximity to Caracol.

--Lan Sluder

Lan Sluder/Belize First
http://www.belizefirst.com
#56447 08/28/02 01:22 PM
Hi Garfish

Thanks for the reccomendation just wanted to point out that Playa Blanca is an area (As is San Pedro) and as it is developing there are more and more people calling themselves and reffering to themselves as Playa Blanca

Currently there are 2

Playa Blanca Dive & Beach Club (Thats ME)
A fully functional dive resort offering Luxury Beach Condos The only Penthouse on the island, Thatched Cabanas fully functional dive shop onsite Tour desk also onsite and a reception.

The next is Playa Blanca Island Villa
A rental house on the beach

who knows we could get Playa Blanca Condominiums next

So as you can see it gets a little confusing as we all get shortened to and reffered to as Playa Blanca when in actuality Playa blanca is a geographcal area

Just growing pains as a new area develops

Thanks for the reccomendation

Gaz Cooper
Playa Blanca Dive & Beach Club www.playablancabelize.com

#56448 08/29/02 03:16 PM
M
OP Offline
M
Thanks everyone for the advice!

Ron - did you guys rent a car/truck and drive there on your own or did you arrange tranportation through the Lodge?

Thanks!

#56449 08/29/02 03:45 PM
I always drive. It's an easy drive from Belize City, about 2 1/2 to 2 3/4 hours, with only the last 45 or 50 minutes being a little rough.

--Lan Sluder

Lan Sluder/Belize First
http://www.belizefirst.com
#56450 08/31/02 06:17 PM
B
B
Ian Anderson's Cave Branch for your jungle experience (10 minutes from Belmopan) and Ramon's for AC -

Cave's Branch is not to be missed under any circumstances - check their website and their guestbook if you need further confirmation - have a great time

#56451 09/01/02 02:50 PM
D
D
We rented a car in Belize City from Crystal Auto Rental.They will pick you up from either airport and bring you to thier shop.The drive is just as Lan described it.

Have a great trip!

Ron

#56452 09/01/02 10:31 PM
we rented a 4x4 too. twice [Linked Image] driving cross country is fun. an adventure!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 238 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.