Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#56508 - 08/31/02 07:08 PM Wanted: Occupational Therapist
Teenah Offline
I just got word today that my friend's infant son had an aneurysm rupture in his left brain. The baby is now in the hospital in Belize City and seems to be improving. He has visible right sided paralysis. I'm pretty sure there are no occupational therapists practicing in San Pedro, but as the mother of a child who suffered a similar brain bleed at birth, I recognize the importance of occupational therapy to help him compensate for the injury. Does anyone know of any expats in AC who are OT's that would help with this cause? Is there any OT's going to AC that can offer their services? Occupational Therapy could make the difference between this child being developmentally disabled, or being a functional productive member of society. Please pass the word and help me find help for this wonderful Belizean family.

#56509 - 08/31/02 07:39 PM Re: Wanted: Occupational Therapist
Chloe Offline
I am not an OT, but I am good at praying for one to show up, and will. God love that dear baby, many prayers and best wishes for baby and family.

#56510 - 08/31/02 08:51 PM Re: Wanted: Occupational Therapist
denverdan Offline
Teenah,

I hope all works out well for the baby and the family, and you find an OT/PT very soon! Can the baby be brought to the states?

But please remember as well...
a developmentally disabled person can also be a functional productive member of our society. We never know what our future may bring us.

[This message has been edited by denverdan (edited 09-01-2002).]

#56511 - 09/01/02 12:56 AM Re: Wanted: Occupational Therapist
Teenah Offline
Hope,

You are exactly right about the developmentally disabled being productive members of society. I understand that on a very intimate level through my children. I apologize for the insensitivity of my post and I hope you realize that I didn't mean it quite the way it sounded!

I spoke to my friend Herbs (the father of the baby) a short while ago. Although he is still having seizures, medication seems to be getting them under control. They intend to come to the states in November to the Chicago area and have evaluations done. I am worried about the lag in services between the time the baby gets out of the hospital and November. I am also concerned about what will happen after they return to the island. Thanks for keeping them in your thoughts and let's pray we find an OT soon.

#56512 - 09/01/02 01:02 AM Re: Wanted: Occupational Therapist
Teenah Offline
and Chloe......

Thanks for your good wishes and prayers. I passed that information on to Herbs today.

#56513 - 09/02/02 03:31 PM Re: Wanted: Occupational Therapist
mayatravel Offline
Call Harold Zuniga in Belize City, he's a very good place to start and might be just what you are looking for.

#56514 - 09/02/02 03:59 PM Re: Wanted: Occupational Therapist
Teenah Offline
Thanks Mayatravel for the suggestion. What does Harold do? Do you know where I can reach him? I need to bit of information so I know how to approach him. Does anyone on this board have any other suggestions on how I may get the word out to find an OT in San Pedro? I can't help but feel that someone will come forward~ at least I intend to keep that positive thought!

#56515 - 09/02/02 07:36 PM Re: Wanted: Occupational Therapist
mayatravel Offline
He's a physical therapist, his email his hzuniga@btl.net and his phone number is 2276753.

#56516 - 09/02/02 07:47 PM Re: Wanted: Occupational Therapist
susangg Offline
I believe that "occupational therapy" is a term of art used by physical therapists who specialize in training disabled people to perform activities of daily living, using physical therapy and related disciplines and assistive devices.
For an infant who is not going to be performing ADL's on his own for awhile anyway (because he is an infant), I believe that what you need is a physical therapist who has been trained in patterning and knows how to do it and also how to train the parents, because they will be doing a lot of the therapy themselves.
Also, the "occupational therapy" designation may not be known in Belize by that term even by people who do perform that type of therapy.
The physician who is in charge of this child's care should be providing resources to the parents for all the different types of post-surgery therapy he needs. If he is not doing that, he is not doing his job. I am glad to hear that the parents are getting further help in the US and I hope they are able to successfully navigate the insurance maze.

#56517 - 09/02/02 10:16 PM Re: Wanted: Occupational Therapist
Kuru Offline
Not sure about Belize, but in the united states OT's take a very different academic program than do PT's. There is very little overlap here between the two professions.

[This message has been edited by Kuru (edited 09-02-2002).]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Links
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker
Chronicles

PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
3 registered (Debbie and Curtis, 2 invisible), 48 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,676 Registered Members
44 Forums
64,062 Topics
462,318 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.