Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Topic Options
#57759 - 10/06/02 07:40 PM Trip report: Cayo and Ambergris Caye, Part 1
coral Offline
I am finally sitting down to write this belated thank you note and trip report. My family (including 12 year old girl and 16 year old boy) went to Belize in late August and had an unbelievably wonderful time. The suggestions listed here on the board were so helpful, and we wouldn't have had nearly as good a time without everyone's input. So thank you, distinguished members of the board.

We flew in on American - absolutely no problems. We discovered the first joy of traveling to Belize in late August: available frequent flyer seats. With a family of 4 full-fares, that makes a big difference.We had booked a cottage at Chaa Creek (great price at this time of year also), and had arranged to have a driver pick us up at the airport.

Chaa Creek was a beautiful, perfect spot. We all stayed in one thatched-roofed cottage with a large deck and a great hammock. Everyone who worked at the resort was friendly and filled with information,and meals were gigantic and delicious.I usually tried local dishes while my kids were happy with more American choices. My husband loved the indoor/outdoor bar and the easy, relaxed feel of the place. There was a spa that we didn't have a chance to try because we were too busy visiting Tikal, hiking and caving.

The cave expedition, which we arranged through Chaa Creek, was one of the most amazing things we'd ever done. Renan Castellano of Pacz Tours, based in San Ignacio, arrived at 8:00 a.m. to take us and a few others to Actun Tunichil Muknal. Here's an excerpt from a NYTimes travel article:

April 7, 2002, Sunday
TRAVEL DESK

On the Trail Of the Maya In Belize

By HERBERT BUCHSBAUM (NYT)
I'M clinging precariously to a sheer rock wall, grasping in the darkness for a handhold that's not there.
The flutter of fruit bats hadn't really bothered me. Neither had swimming in clammy water, nor stumbling upon largely intact human skeletons, disconcerting as they were. But now, as I attempt to wrap my leg around the side of a slick boulder while keeping my footing on a two-inch ledge, trying to suppress the sheer terror of slipping into the black stony river below, I suddenly understand why the Maya called this place hell.
(To see the entire article, go to NYT.com and do a search for the title. They charge you about $2.50.)
We were filthy, sopping wet, exhausted, and totally happy. We swam in wearing our clothes and hiking boots, and ended with a 45 minute VERY brisk walk back through the jungle and across streams (no bridges). My 12 year old handled it with ease, and I only thought that I was going to die once. We loved every minute.

#57760 - 10/06/02 11:29 PM Re: Trip report: Cayo and Ambergris Caye, Part 1
klcman Offline
Actually, you do not have to pay for the article at all.....all you need do is to "register" with NY Times.

#57761 - 10/07/02 10:59 PM Re: Trip report: Cayo and Ambergris Caye, Part 1
munichchick Offline
This guy must be writing about what we called the Ledge of Death. We also completly loved this cave and it is very magical. I never knew how usefull my butt could be on the way down off the ledge of death. Not graceful but it worked. Ha, Ha! Did your Kids like the Maiden??????? wink

Links
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker
Chronicles

PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
3 registered (Chica Blanca, JED, ScubaLdy), 36 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,670 Registered Members
44 Forums
64,015 Topics
462,193 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.