Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#57826 10/09/02 11:42 AM
OP Offline
Check this out...
Yucatan Express, the new ferry service between Tampa and the Yucatan Peninsula operated by Scotia Prince Cruises, Limited.

FIRST INAUGURAL SAILING NOVEMBER 22, 2002.

www.mexicoferry.com

#57827 10/09/02 02:50 PM
B
B
With all the high airfare going to Belize this seems like a good deal. Especially living only an hour from Tampa. Hell, you can even bring your car for less than the price of a cheap plane ticket.
Has anyone ever done something like this? I'd be interested in trying it out, taking a car and driving to Corozal then hopping on over to AC. Are there any safe places to park a vehicle in Corozal or Belize City and what are the requirements to get a car into Belize coming from Mexico.
Is it possible to drive to Xcalak, Mexico park the car and get to San Pedro from there by boat or plane?

#57828 10/09/02 05:37 PM
An earlier ferry from Tampa lasted about six weeks. Some of the same people are involved with this one, I think.

This outfit has been advertising on the Web for a year or two. Whether it gets going or stays afloat I think is still to be determined. Don't believe everything you see on a Web site.

--Lan Sluder

Lan Sluder/Belize First
http://www.belizefirst.com
#57829 10/09/02 06:04 PM
With all due respect, Lan, because you ARE the man, this company is totally legit.

They operate ferries, high speed and other, between Maine & New Brunswick during summer & early fall. Rumors here have it they are moving assets to strengthen their position in the marketplace and better utilize those expensive-to-operate floating hotels.

Perhaps I read more into your comment than was meant, but I thought I detected a bit of "don't trust these guys" in between the lines there. While true, it remains to be seen of this route is a viable market, the operator is totally above board, no pun intended.

Just my opinion.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _________________ _ _ _ _ _ _
But then what do I know, I am but a mere caveman
#57830 10/09/02 08:11 PM
A few short years ago there was an outfit out of Port Isabell in South Texas that did a similar trip to Honduras. They ferried motorhomes and campers,and i'm sure other stuff. I sure wish that was an option today!A person could get to Belize as best he could, i'm sure cheaper than todays' airfare.Tampa wouldn't save us Texans much.
Richard :rolleyes:

#57831 10/09/02 08:24 PM
Yes, the ferry out of Pt. Isabel Tx to Honduras was great for awhile. Several friends in the shrimping business, took it often to Honduras, and found it fun and comfortable.
But if memory serves me correctly on the last or one of the last trips, the ferry had mechanical problems they left port here, and went north to Corpus Christi for repairs, and many left the ferry and had a 3 hr bus ride back to Pt. Isabel. (They did not tell the passengers, they were going to CC before heading south to Belize and Honduras. That ferry was useful during the time that Mexico was giving the transmigrants a hard time going back to Honduras. Seems the problems crossing Mexico has been eased, now.

Dare To Deviate
#57832 10/10/02 12:16 PM
OP Offline
The ferry between Houston & Progresso is still rumored to be starting up again in Nov. I hope one of these gets going and stays going! Alternative modes of transportation to Belize are always welcome...

#57833 10/10/02 01:26 PM
I stand partially corrected.

The Scotia Prince is the SAME ship that was used four years ago on the ill-fated service that lasted only a few weeks, failing for lack of business and lack of capital. But according to press reports in Florida there is a NEW set of operators on the Yucatan Express route -- same boat, new operators.

So maybe this will work. I hope so.

--Lan Sluder

Lan Sluder/Belize First
http://www.belizefirst.com
#57834 10/10/02 06:13 PM
If I understand the situation correctly the Scotia Prince has a regular scheduled run every year for six months in Maine where it runs this ferry back and forth to Nova Scotia. Currently in the fall it used to go into dry dock.
In order to put this ferry to work the idea is to start this Tampa to Yucatan run to replace the months when this ferry use to just sit idle.

Its true that this was the same ship that did the run several years ago and Lan is correct that the first run only lasted a couple of months.
They finally did get prices posted up on the web site so that is a plus.
Some of us are waiting to see how Mexican customs is going to handle vehicles and other articles bound for Belize.

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 327 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.