Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#57886 10/16/02 06:39 PM
As I understand it, Bron needs $$$$$, She has done alot for AC on her behalf, with her helpers, and done almost everything for free. On every trip down we take a bag full of supplies,(donated from our Vet), to her.
To answer your questions and comments about this act that the island is taking, Which I firmly disagree with, If the island had a fully functional vet. with all the equiptment, then this problem would go away over 1 season there.
So my proposal would be, lets start a fund account for SAGA. $1, $5, $10, and so one. I feel we can build the funds up to get Saga what they need to be functional. We could even have Marty manage it for us all. So we know that the funds get to where they are supposed to get to. What do ya all think? :rolleyes: laugh

We have been incontact with all people on the island, and are considering donating part of land for a refuge for strays of all animals, kinda like a SPA group. No kills, just adoptions.. ( spayed and neutered)

WE can start this and manage it with Marty!!!

Again what do ya all think, Let us know, WE leave on the 29th for a wonderful 10 days there!!!!!!!

Thanks,

Rick wink

#57887 10/17/02 04:44 PM
OP Offline
Bump to keep this in the news until the poisoning stops. eek

#57888 10/17/02 05:30 PM
Marty is already busy.....it'll take baby steps until something real solid is in place. If Rick could get a job there...hint hint......we could also email the newspapers with our concerns??? C

#57889 10/17/02 09:04 PM
L
L
Please hurry down folks, we are all looking forward to your "expertise"!!!

R.B. Mernitz
#57890 10/17/02 10:08 PM
Thanks ya all for the support!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rick

#57891 10/18/02 04:18 PM
S
S
Dear Lovey and Thurston:

"Expertise" is not what is missing. What is missing is an understanding of RIGHT and WRONG, COMPASSION, and COMMON SENSE. If all of us human citizens of the world exercised those qualities in our daily lives, the world would need fewer "experts" to fix the mess.

A wise philosopher named Hannah Arendt once said that "all it takes for evil to flourish is for good men to do nothing." She was speaking about the holocaust, but it is applicable to any wrong, small or large, significant or insignificant. What she meant was: If you see a wrong, speak up. That is always the first step in creating change: the small voice that utters the word "no". First one voice, then many voices, then action.

Susan Guberman-Garcia, Attorney at Law. Phone: 510-792-2639
Fax/Voicemail:: 510-405-2016 Email: [email protected]
#57892 10/18/02 08:06 PM
Ditto Susanng!!! I know my "speaking out", especially at work, has gotten me in plenty of trouble....anytime I disagree with something or have an opinion different from the "bossess" it makes me "negative and unsupportive"......Lovey/Thurston....where are ya'll on AC???? Maybe we could meet for a drink or dinner???

#57893 10/19/02 05:48 PM
Saga and the town council are working togethre on this and there is currently NO POISONING taking place on the island.

We have a proposal for tagging stray dogs as targets for euthanasia and if the owners do not come forward then the dog will either be found an alternative home or humanely euthanased by the vet when she visits on a Friday. The first round of tagging may happen this week.

As Cheri so rightly points out all the work done by Saga is funded by donation either in cash or supplies that people bring down to us. For everything that has been donated so far we are TRULY GRATEFUL but even euthansia costs money, not to mention the cost of nursing a sick animal back to health and feeding it while we look for an alternate home.

There is an online donation form on the Saga Website - you will find the link on the front page of the Ambergris site - and this money goes directly to the Saga account here in Belize. We are also in the process of opening a US account so that people can transfer money or use credit cards via Paypal to send donations. Remember also that Saga is now registered as a US charity with 501(c)3 status which means all of the dollars you donate to Saga are tax deductible (we will send a letter of confirmation for your tax return).

Saga is now the only vet service on the island and is funding the clinic (approx $3000BZ per month). If people really want to help the animals on the island (and I know that you do) then please help to keep the clinic open through your donations, so that Saga can continue to provide care to all the animals and work with the town board to control the stray population in a humane fashion.

Thank you - Marie (Director of Saga)

#57894 10/19/02 07:30 PM
P
P
yer $ will help. hassling the town council will not.

#57895 10/19/02 08:55 PM
S
S
Well Phartmore: If you truly mean "hassling" then I would agree with you. "Hassling" is usually unproductive. I haven't seen any evidence of "hassling" on this board though.
If, however, by "hassling" you mean SPEAKING UP, then you could not be more wrong. Social change STARTS with people "speaking up" (speaking truth to power). All governments at any level, from the PTA, to a town council, to a congressional district, you name it, do a better job (or less damage, depending on your point of view) when folks tell 'em what they think.
You are certainly right about $$, though.
We need to do both: Express our concerns and SEND DOUGH!

Susan Guberman-Garcia, Attorney at Law. Phone: 510-792-2639
Fax/Voicemail:: 510-405-2016 Email: [email protected]
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 144 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,204
Posts500,029
Members20,468
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.