Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Topic Options
#58011 - 10/15/02 04:21 PM Banyan Bay.....a few questions
PalmLovinCouple Offline
Hello all,

We have been enjoying this site for several weeks, and have learned so much just from doing searches through the archives. We are getting close to our first trip to AC, and so far, we are leaning towards Banyan Bay.

A few questions we still have,

We need opinions from some regulars about their suggestions on good choices for time of year to go. When is the weather most cooperative?

Just how far to town is it? Walkable? How long via a golf cart? We like to party a few nights, and like to be close enough to walk to a few good restaurants, and be able to stumble home from a few bars(if needed), so this is important info to know.

How is the snorkeling directly from the beach there, from what we have read so far, the beach at Banyan Bay seems to get good reviews for swimming, but is the snorkeling worth the effort, or will we need to take the boat out to the reef?

Last question, (for now)LOL...Is there any other resort that is as nice or even nicer than Banyan Bay? The most important items to us are: Good Beach, pool, oceanfront units, good location to town.

Thankyou in advance for any help you may provide...this site is very helpful.

#58012 - 10/15/02 04:41 PM Re: Banyan Bay.....a few questions
ScubaLdy Offline
I just got back from Belize and since my sister wants to come down next March and is REI I checked out Banyan Bay for her. I also took some good pictures of the place that I will have on my web site soon. It is a beautiful property.
To answer your questions: NO, you can not walk to town from there after having partied.
However, any of the places that have the wide beautiful beaches are not in walking distance to town. So you have to make a choice. confused
But, the good news is - Taxi's are cheap - $5.00 BZ for any trip. That is $2.50 US
I stayed at Hide Away, which is about half way to Banyan Bay. If I walked early (before 8:00 AM) and went via the beach, not road, it took me 15 minutes to Ruby's. Therefore I would say BB is about a half-hour walk. I would not walk it at night or in the heat of the day.
There is a reason it is called "high season." In low season everything is less expensive but you take your chances on the weather. cool
Take only pictures leave only bubbles

#58013 - 10/15/02 08:35 PM Re: Banyan Bay.....a few questions
Marty Offline
its about a 20-25 minute walk. we do it a lot...
Banana Beach is a lil further, we walk to and from there too.

we have a batch of teens with us though, and don't party too hardy...

also, its lit the whole way. and sometimes we take the taxis if we have a lot to carry...

#58014 - 10/16/02 10:16 AM Re: Banyan Bay.....a few questions
Lan Sluder/Belize First Offline
I agree that Banyan Bay is an excellent choice. It's a little more expensive than some other condotels, but the units are beautiful -- two bedrooms, two baths, full kitchen, living room area, balcony. Lot of tropical hardwoods, beautifully maintained, a/c that works, huge pool, nice beach, all in all very pleasant. Lots of families stay here.

As others have noted, you can walk to town, but it's not something you'd want to do several times a day. I always rent a golf cart, and that's really the way to go. Or as noted taxis are not expensive.

Snorkeling isn't much off the shore there. You'll definitely want to take a boat out to Hol Chan/Shark Ray Alley, to Mexico Rocks and maybe elsewhere.

Other good condotel/suites choices: Banana Beach, Xanadu, The Palms, Paradise Villas, Belizean Reef, and others.

--Lan Sluder
San Pedro Cool: The Guidebook to Ambergris Caye
Lan Sluder/Belize First

Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker

TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 51 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,636 Registered Members
44 Forums
63,727 Topics
461,281 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 02:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.