Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#58328 - 10/25/02 07:44 PM What's a girl to wear?
KathyA Offline
Lan, I read your profile and discovered you are from Ashville, NC. Right? As you know, southern girls tend to "dress". We are staying at Casa Tortuga but intend to explore the nightlife of AC. We are all single teachers from Macon, GA between the ages of 30 and 41. I know it sounds like a frivolous question but I have seen your name all over this board and have really wanted your input on a variety of questions. What's a girl to wear?

#58329 - 10/25/02 07:46 PM Re: What's a girl to wear?
deb1022 Offline
This ought to be really interesting eek eek eek

#58330 - 10/25/02 09:51 PM Re: What's a girl to wear?
RobertE Offline
So ya'll is fixin to go to Belize. Take advice from this Georgia Boy (Albany now living in Colorado)AC aint "HotLanta" or "Buckhead". Shorts and tank tops from Walmart will be about all you need and then you'll be overdressed. Don't bother and resist all temptation bringing any shoes fancier than a pair of $5 flip flops or hiking boots if you do the mainland. I don't care how cute they are and you had to get them on that last shopping trip to Lenox Square.

The fanciest you would want to bring is maybe a sarong type wrap skirt and complimenting blouse and that is for the fanciest of fancy places on AC.

Don't worry word aint gonna get back to Bibb County or around the next alumni sorority tea you weren't dressed. Think more of dressing like a bunch of girls from Alabama that dig NASCAR racing and hanging out in Panama City Beach and going to Shuckums Oyster Bar and you'll do fine. Also ,leave the hair stuff and makeup at home, it aint worth totin. Jewelry too - leave it. You can buy way cool jewelry on AC. SHAMELESS PLUG - VISIT ELIZABETH AT AMBAR IN FIDOS'S COURTYARD - WICKED COOL STUFF!! Pony tails and ball caps work great. The humidity is like that of an afternoon shower in GA, you get the picture.

Also, take half the stuff out of your suitcase and leave it at home. You won't need it, trust me.

PS - Send some real GA BBQ , Nu-Way Chili Dogs or Krystal Cheesburgers out here to Colorado !!! PS root for the DAWGS tommorow, beat the Wildcats.

-Chucky Bob

#58331 - 10/25/02 11:14 PM Re: What's a girl to wear?
Over_40_Pirate Offline
AAAAARRRRRRGGGGGHHHHHHH!!! The less you wear the better!!! (please post pics)
...but listen to me cabin-boy, RobertE...he looks better in a skirt than most ('specially when he shaves his legs!) eek AAAAAARRRRGGGGHHHHHHHH!!!!

#58332 - 10/25/02 11:28 PM Re: What's a girl to wear?
RobertE Offline
Don't be givin away my beauty tips pirate!!! Personally I prefer my black Donna Karan tank dress, black sling backs and Prada handbag than just an ordinary skirt.

I better start working on my bikini wax too!!

#58333 - 10/26/02 03:38 AM Re: What's a girl to wear?
hunter Offline
Loose cotton shorts and shirt over bathing suit. Teva type sandals. Sunblock. Sunglasses. Hat. Money in pocket and you are set.

#58334 - 10/26/02 09:36 AM Re: What's a girl to wear?
sweetjane Offline
a few little sundresses may make you feel nice for dinners, but shorts & tops are usually fine. i like to look nice at night. nothing with heels smile they dont work in the sand.

#58335 - 10/26/02 12:22 PM Re: What's a girl to wear?
Loie Offline
First time we went, I brought a little black dress and a few other evening pieces just in case we went out for a fancy dinner. They didn't even make it out of the suitcase. If I want to wear something that makes me feel dressed, but not overdone, I throw on a sarong w/matching top and flip-flops.

Maybe it's just my hippie tendencies, but I'm perfectly content in shorts & a t-shirt in any restaurant down there. (Gee, sounds a lot like Denver...really laid back.) The only make up I bring is lip-gloss & mascara. Anything else makes my skin too oily with the humidity. As far as jewelry goes, I leave my wedding ring and fancy pieces at home and trade them for a simple band & hoop earrings. I would just die if I lost RobertE's grandmother's ring!

I try and go for the casual-cute look rather than the club-cute look. The warm weather and the fabrics used in most club clothes will only make you sweat more. Think light & flowy and you won't go wrong.

If all else fails and you'd rather not trust the input from complete strangers, you can do like the rest of us...bring what you're comfortable with and you'll learn what works best for you for the next visit.

After four visits, I think I've scientifically gotten my wardrobe down to what effectively fits in a duffel bag for a 10 day trip. smile This makes the Mr. quite happy.

Good luck and have a wonderful trip.
- - -
"Everywhere I turn all the beauty just keeps shaking me." Amy Ray, World Falls

#58336 - 10/26/02 12:37 PM Re: What's a girl to wear?
Over_40_Pirate Offline
Loie...you got that casual-cute look down pat... wink

Janie...high heels work on EVERY man EVERYWHERE! AAAAARRRRRGGGHHH!!!!!!!!

#58337 - 10/26/02 01:29 PM Re: What's a girl to wear?
Lan Sluder/Belize First Offline

Looks like you already got some good advice on what folks wear in San Pedro.

The usual travel advice is to take half the clothes and twice the money you think you'll need. For San Pedro, I'd say take one-fourth the clothes. T-shirts or other tops, shorts, sandals and fast-dry swim suits will take care of 95% of what you wear. In the winter especially, you might wear long cotton slacks and a light cotton sweater some nights.

Some Caribbean islands (for example St. Barths or St. Maarten) can be fairly dressy at night, but it's not that way in San Pedro.

My wife (who was born in Macon)never brings even a skirt to Belize.

--Lan Sluder
(in Asheville, named by Rolling Stone as freak capital of the U.S.)
Lan Sluder/Belize First

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker

TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31
Who's Online
3 registered (samalvey, 2 invisible), 45 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,635 Registered Members
44 Forums
63,709 Topics
461,234 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 02:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.