Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#58799 11/06/02 03:59 PM
D
D&JToe Offline OP
OP Offline
D
We will be getting in on Friday 11-8(at last!!! laugh laugh ). I previously asked about getting my hair corn-rowed for diving and snorkeling. Several helpful people responded but before I could write down their advice, my post disappeared mad . Can you nice folks out there respond again? Also, do most dive/snorkel/tours take plastic? We are trying to figure out how much travelers checks to get. We will be in Belize for over two weeks. Time on Caye Ambergris, Caulker, Hopkins Village and finally Punta Gorda. Also, how hard is it to get cash if we run out of travelers checks? The guide book I have is rather vague that topic (it is not one of Lan's!) Finally, how is the economy right now? Can you get some decent package prices for say multiple days of diving or an overnight dive trip? I don't want to haggle and offend the proprietor but we do plan to do a fair amount of diving. cool Thanks, in advance for all the wonderful advice I am sure the get. laugh Sea Ya Soon

#58800 11/06/02 04:19 PM
cash is good for bars & stuff. plastic works at most decent sized restaurants, hotels & dive & gift shops, at least on the island. on the mainland, we used much more cash, as the places tended to be smaller.

i guess i would take at least $500 in cash. i'd always rather have more than none left. some places will let you charge more than your amt on your plastic, and give you cash back in change. but they looked at us like we were crazy when we asked wink

dont know about the other stuff.

#58801 11/06/02 07:19 PM
If you run out of cash, you can get a cash advance on a bank card at most any bank branch in Belize. There's a nominal fee, usually around US$5, plus whatever charge you pay your bank. ATMs at Barclay's offices in Dangriga, Belize City and Belmopan also (usually) accept ATM cards issued outside of Belize, but don't count on it 100%.

Things are slow in Belize now, but many Belizeans as a general rule tend to be reluctant to cut prices on services. Just ask in a nice way if there is a discount for multiple dive trips or whatever, and you may be lucky.

--Lan Sluder

Lan Sluder/Belize First
http://www.belizefirst.com
#58802 11/07/02 01:34 AM
The BEST person for hair braiding is Ms Anita Baker in Dangriga. She is truly an artist. She charged $15 BZ for my pretty long hair. Took about an hour. (Took 10 hours to get out but that's another story!!) She is located behind Bimbillo's Texaco Station on Riverside. Ask around, someone will tell you where it is. Just past the Zabaneh house. There is also a person on AC who does it but she charges $25 US. She is usually by Ramon's. I think her name is Darlene...

#58803 11/07/02 02:19 AM
D
D&JToe Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Thanks Barbara K. I would like to wait until Dangriga to get the hair done but we will be on CA and then Caulker before heading on down thru Dangriga to Hopkins Village. So, I need someone on CA hopefully to get the job done on Friday evening. I have hair just below my waist so it will be quite a time investment on both ends but well worth the effort based on past experience!

Last time I posted (before the post muncher ate my info) someone sent me the name of someone and pictures of her neice who had very cute braids. Can that person send the info again? It might have been Rick and Cheri??? Not really sure but the ativar is a tropical bird . . . sound familiar. Look forward to seeing any or all of the locals sometime after 5 pm on Friday. The count down has begun! Just under 42 hours!!!!!!!! laugh

#58804 11/07/02 03:37 AM
Here's your previous post on hair braiding....

//ambergriscaye.com/message/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=6;t=001554

Enjoy your trip...

#58805 11/07/02 10:29 AM
Ms. Angie from Kimara's gift shop braids hair too. Not sure what she charges but it's probaly less than $20bz. She moved from her old shop on Front St. to a small space at Exotic Caye Resort (Playador) but I think she has moved again recently to a space at the north end of Front St. next to La Isla Bonita Clothing...just after you pass San Pedrano grocery on the right.

Nice lady...and fun to talk. She will even come to your room and do it if you pay the cab fare.

By the way...
Stop in and see the girls at La Isla Bonita Clothing. Great made-to-order island wear! You can pick your own material and style and they can have it done usually in 24 hours. Amazing!
They carry some really beautiful cloth. Tell them Tammy sent you and that I said thanks for the quick delivery on my homecoming dress!! smile

#58806 11/07/02 10:36 AM
A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
BRAIDS---C.C.--MARLA

#58807 11/07/02 01:35 PM
D
D&JToe Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Thank you all very much for the help. It has been so fun to read this message board and I have learned a lot about service and goods including who's who in the Dive Master world, good restaurants, where to stay in Punta Gorda (thanks Lan!) and just a good feel for the culture of the island. I still, however, have not figured out what mQQse is saying half the time.

I was somewhat taken aback by the intensity of the exchange on the Protech Dive experience. WOW!

I will be checking in with Protech, Gaz, Searious, Barefoot, Hustlers and a few others to line up our dives. Any other recommendations for DMs? I am newly certified with just 4 dives post certification. However, I was certified in the Pacific Northwest where water temps are between 42 and 53 degrees this time of year! Took about 25 minutes just to gear up with 7mm wet suits plus everything else needed to keep warm. Also had to pack 35 lbs of weight to offset all the bouyancy. Can't wait to dive in warm water! 32 Hours and counting! laugh

#58808 11/07/02 01:37 PM
D
D&JToe Offline OP
OP Offline
D
By the way, Thanks Chunkyruth for finding the link. I think I was looking in the wrong spot!

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 314 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.