Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#58923 - 11/11/02 08:23 PM Mata Rocks or Sunbreeze?
tjhoffer Offline
Hello from Montana. We are planning a trip to Ambergris in early to mid-February of 2003. I have two questions: Between the two places to stay, Mata Rocks or Sunbreezes, which is a better all around property, but is still clean and fairly "modern"? We don't want or need 5-star, prefer laid-back and friendly; just a nice clean room (A/C is good, too) with a comfy bed. Also, are either of the places better located than the other in relation to restaurants, bars,convenient snorkeling sites, etc. Also, is there any snorkeling right off the beach, or is it all a boat ride away? Any help or tips to these two questions would be greatly appreciated, and thanks for the great website and service. We can't wait...

Tim Hoffer
Bozeman, Montana

#58924 - 11/12/02 12:57 AM Re: Mata Rocks or Sunbreeze?
Lan Sluder/Belize First Offline
My two cents' worth:

Both are good mid-level places. The main difference is the location -- SunBreeze is just at the south edge of town, whereas Maya Rocks is around 1 1/2 miles south of town, quieter and fewer boats zooming by but it's a hike (or golf cart or taxi ride) to town. So if you like to go out a lot I'd lean toward SunBreeze. Average room is bigger at SunBreeze. Mata Rocks has a nice little beach bar.

SunBreeze has a nice pool, Mata Rocks doesn't have one, which is something to consider. At SunBreeze, there's a pier, a seawall and not much of a swimmable beach, though you can walk down a few feet to Ramon's, which has a decent beach. Mata Rocks and hotels nearby are on a nice stretch of beach. In any case, for good snorkeling you'd want to go out by boat.

--Lan Sluder

#58925 - 11/12/02 01:02 AM Re: Mata Rocks or Sunbreeze?
bearlin Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by tjhoffer:
Hello from Montana. We are planning a trip to Ambergris in early to mid-February of 2003. I have two questions: Between the two places to stay, Mata Rocks or Sunbreezes, which is a better all around property, but is still clean and fairly "modern"? We don't want or need 5-star, prefer laid-back and friendly; just a nice clean room (A/C is good, too) with a comfy bed. Also, are either of the places better located than the other in relation to restaurants, bars,convenient snorkeling sites, etc. Also, is there any snorkeling right off the beach, or is it all a boat ride away? Any help or tips to these two questions would be greatly appreciated, and thanks for the great website and service. We can't wait...

Tim Hoffer
Bozeman, Montana

#58926 - 11/12/02 07:01 PM Re: Mata Rocks or Sunbreeze?
SARA ALLEN Offline
We just returned from one week at the Sunbreeze. Been to the island 3 times and stayed at the Sunbreeze all 3 times. (Never been to Mata Rocks) We always enjoyed Sunbreeze. This time we walked to Ramon's and did a night snorkel under the dock there. Saw some small jelly fish, a lobster, crabs, a sea slug, and some other fish. Others told us that they saw several morays and fish in the daytime (snorkelling under the dock. Sunbreeze is right across the street from the airport and you can walk to town for meals. Although the Blue Water Grill is on site and BC's is right next door. Cable TV and AC is in the rooms. The staff is very courteous and helpful. I agree with Lan, as far as locale and convenience, Sunbreeze is hard to beat and moderately priced. You'll enjoy the island regardless of where you stay. I'm sure there are plenty of readers that would be more than happy to accompany you. ENJOY YOURSELVES!!!!

#58927 - 11/13/02 11:19 PM Re: Mata Rocks or Sunbreeze?
OlderandBetter Offline
We have stayed at Matta Rocks for the last two years and have loved every bit of it. (and are returning this January)

They have just undergone a renovation and I understand they have put in a small pool. I have only seen the artist rendition not any actual pictures.

The rooms always were nice, very clean and had both ceiling fans and AC. The "regular" rooms did not have TV but the Junior Suites did.

The beach is nice, the snorkeling right from the beech is not the best in the world and you probably would want a boat.

The people are wonderful Liz, Terry, Ana, and the whole crew are friendly warm and genuinely nice to be around. The bar - is WONDERFUL !!

Either choice would probably be good, after all if your in paradise how bad can it be??

#58928 - 11/16/02 05:52 PM Re: Mata Rocks or Sunbreeze?
Nacho Offline
Hello from former (Shelby) Montanan now in Tacoma!

We'll be in Belize in 28 days (who's counting?) and staying at Mata Rocks. Their renovations and pool were scheduled to be completed in October, so I'm hoping that it will really be done in late-December! If not, how can a bar on the beach in a laid-back tropical country be anything but good?

Last time I asked (and it was a few weeks ago), the pool was completed but they hadn't filled it up yet. And I liked that Mata Rocks had complimentary bikes - we can feel like we're getting exercize riding between the San Pedro bar and the hotel bar! smile

#58929 - 11/16/02 11:00 PM Re: Mata Rocks or Sunbreeze?
trina Offline
I have stayed at neither, but have been to the restaruant at Sunbreeze...Blue Water Grill. Staff were always very helpful and friendly. And it's a nice location-close to town, but yet has a secluded feel, and is quiet. If I went again, I would stay at Sunbreeze. We stayed at Ruby's and I cannot recommend. Too noisy.

#58930 - 11/17/02 05:43 AM Re: Mata Rocks or Sunbreeze?
Chloe Offline
Sunbreeze is my favorite, for many reasons.
From all reports all the resorts/hotels are great.

#58931 - 11/17/02 11:10 PM Re: Mata Rocks or Sunbreeze?
Beachy Offline
Just thinking out loud:
Of those of you who have come to San Pedro/Ambergris caye more than once, I ask:
Is there more than one vacation on this isla?
I.E. If you stay at Sunbreeze, your focus is much more town oriented than if you stay up north, where certainly your world is your resort, and then those who choose to stay south of town- BYC to Caribe Isle, say-- this includes Mata Rocks, by the way-- get an even more mixed vacation experience. Being south of town, I know I see only guests from certain hotels, and having travelled often, I recall that my topography is genereally based on my hotel. Discuss. laugh
Chris
Casa Picasso

#58932 - 11/17/02 11:25 PM Re: Mata Rocks or Sunbreeze?
Chloe Offline
Beachy good point.

I have stayed at Journey's End and Sunbreeze.
Certainly two different vacations while on land.
Far north is more rest and relaxation.
In town, fun to walk for every meal, and chat along the way.

But on the water both the same. As is underwater, with the same beautiful fish.

I would stay South if I was a tad younger and could safely walk further, and after dark.

Sunbreeze is good for walking to the cut and south to the Island Market, and all points in between. Have always rented a golf cart for half day, to take in other restaurants, either south or north of the cut. Hope to grace your restaurant on my return trip soon. I'll buy and drink your wine, will not bring my own, ever.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Links
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker
Chronicles

PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (SFJeff), 48 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,670 Registered Members
44 Forums
64,006 Topics
462,170 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.