Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
Sounds great! We'll be looking for you!

My very dear friends just bought a house in Costa Rica last Christmas. I keep telling them that as soon as they visit us in AC, they will have to buy another house!!!!

Belize is very special. When I am there, I sometimes get frustrated by things I can't get, lack of some basics that I am so used to.... but then when I come back home, I always wish I was going back sooner. (Only 44 more days!!)

For me, its just what I have been searching for for years. I have done 6 cruises to various islands in the Eastern, Western, Southern Caribbean, plus stayed on several islands (Bahamas, USVI, BVI, St Maarten, Puerto Rico). I was always searching for my own Margaritaville... somewhere with no big ugly highrises and nasty tacky T-shirt shops, somewhere with no Franchise Fast Food restaurants, or stores where they put bars on their windows at night and tell you not to walk around outside your hotel, somewhere you can feel safe and dont have to stay in a "compound" like those all inclusive jamaica places are. Somewhere where you aren't constantly inundated with folks hustling you for money and physically grabbing at you to buy stuff. Somewhere which was not overrun by cruiseship passengers most of the week so the island caters to them more than those staying on the island. Somewhere which seemed relaxing, remote and rustic yet had all the amenities, activities and whatever you desired to do or see.

On Ambergris you find small restaurants and beach bars ranging from gourmet to food stalls, small intimate hotels ranging from cheap to upscale. Golf carts versus scary cabs and cars whizzing everywhere. Cute kids offering necklaces and men offering fabulous handmade woodcarvings, but if you say "No" they do not hassle you at all and are extremely polite.

We can drive our golfcarts or walk around and feel quite safe outside our hotel (obviously walking off alone in a desserted area is never a good idea for anyone). Everyone we met was friendly, the food was fabulous, the accomodations great and the whole atmosphere fantastic. We could snorkel or dive on some of the best reefs in the world, have the mainland and cave tubing, the zoo and mayan ruins all within our reach. We could experience unspoiled nature from the reefs and the enourmous fish on Hol Chan, Shark Ray alley, the salt water Croc in the lagoon and the animals on the mainland. Be as relaxed or as active as we want. Here we got to hear a lot of great local bands or possibly even run into Jimmy Buffett or Jerry Jeff Walker who have discovered the island and visit and play periodically. We can turn off our cell phones and be as isolated as we want or visit and internet cafe and send notes to friends at home. Find great local wood carvings or outfits at great prices and not feel hassled or taken advantage of. And drink the great local beer Beliken!!!

I for one found my Margaritaville, that place I have been searching for. And my boyfriend and I even tried to call the airline and stay longer this year (they unfortunately weren't cooperative...booo!) So my little group is pretty much all coming back again this year (minus one now ex-girlfriend of one and we've added one or more new folks). We had initally thought of doing somewhere else in 2003 but once we got to Belize we could not resist coming right back before it gets discovered and turns into the islands I mentioned above. Jerry Jeff's "Come away to Belize with me") has become our little anthem! And as Buffett says "I wanna go back, to the islands.."

The sooner the better... if only Delta would fly there, us Atlanta folks could cash in our sky miles and get down more often!!!!

Now shhhhhh... don't tell anyone else how great this place is as we don't want San Pedro to become St Thomas!

Andrea in Atlanta... May is too damn far away!!

Andrea in Atlanta
Boy, a couple of very good posts describing it a bit more eloquently than I could. Mainly, it's not just one thing, it is a combination of a whole bunch of things that when put together make the stays a thing of beauty and relaxation.

Unfortunately, this Jan we are going to Culebra instead of AC, at the insistance of some of our party, not because they were disatisfied with AC, but more a desire for experiencing something "different". Some of us wanted to go back to Belize, but agreed to Culebra to keep harmony in the group. We did however extract a promise that the next vaca is back to AC (with or without dissenting members).

Last fall we were in Akumal for a week, and made it up to Playa del Carmen. Seven or eight years ago, it was a quaint little fillage, notable only for the ferry from Coz. Now it is a mini-Cancun, suitable for people in their teens and twenties who like to drink themselves insensible and dance all night and lay on the beach all afternoon. This tourist creep keeps forcing us to keep moving south, I hope it never makes it to AC. How about a nice slow growth? Don't pave paradise.

Been there, done that, the washing machine ate the T-shirt
It's magic....

Don't drink the water....LOL wink

F
OP Offline
F
All I can say is WOW!! Thanks to you all. I will passing your comments on to the rest of my group. All ten of us our 1st timers and can't wait to experience the wonders of AC and the mainland. It sounds like it will be a different kind of vacation that we are used to, and that will be a good thing. A little more exciting! Thanks again for all of the great posts, quite inspiring.

A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
DONT WEAR ANY ROSE COLORED GLASSES AND YOU'LL DO FINE

Seaislegal -

Delta is a partner with Air Jamaica...have you tried to book those FF miles that way? Just a thought and curious.....since AJ now flying to BZE thru Montego Bay

_ _ _ _ _ _ _________________ _ _ _ _ _ _
But then what do I know, I am but a mere caveman
S
S
Great snorkeling with Alfonse Graniel; he's terrific with people and animals; visit him under ambergriscaye.com "Goods & Services," under "Pick an Island Site to Visit." Casa Picasso: "Cracked Coconut" dessert - wonderful! laugh Happy trip...

P
P
FAMILYTRIP: I'll just miss you! We go Jan.13-20th. I am so excited to go! (WE are also first-timers)

catch the underlying message of moose & lan. i agree...AC isnt for everyone. this board attracts many of us who do love it. some dont. depending on nature, it can be very hot, it can be buggy, it can be rainy, it can be too windy to sail or snorkel. once the skeeters ate me alive. or it can be paradise.

it isnt relative to 5 star US standards in many areas. it is a 3rd world country.

but it is true, the people of belize are genuine, friendly & wholesome. the flora & fauna are terrific. i can be comfortable. i can do everything or nothing.

if you go with high expectations you may be disappointed, but go with no preconceptions, and you will love it.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 122 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,202
Posts500,025
Members20,466
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.