Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#59142 - 11/15/02 04:30 PM What's so great about AC???
I am just a bit curious. It is astonishing how many great comments there are on this board. You rarely see anything negative. I am wondering what it is about Ambergris or Belize that gets such responses. Is this everyones favorite place to vacation, if so , why? Also, can you compare it to another destination?

Thanks to those who always respond to the "1st time visitors"

#59143 - 11/15/02 04:45 PM Re: What's so great about AC???
pfarrell Offline
I've traveled quite a bit (jamacia, st. lucia, bahamas, florida, etc) and while all those places are nice, none compare to the atmosphere of San Pedro.

You'll find all the typicall pleasures of a tropical vacation here. However, you'll also find that the people of San Pedro are incredibly friendly. Whether the locals or expats, folks are just nice and seem really happy to have you come visit their town.

The town itself is a resource you simply can't underestimate. In most tropical vacations, you don't leave the resort. Here, the whole island is the resort and you have access to a wide variety of restaurants, bars, shops, etc. While we didn't take advantage of the day trips, these too seem better than what you'd find in a typical vacation spot.

Finally, there is the price. A vacation in San Pedro is simply one of the best buys around. Where else can you stay in a top notch hotel for just $200 a night? On the beach?

Certianly it's not for everyone. If you're looking for a cookie cutter vacation (Sandals, Club Med, etc) you'll be dissapointed. If you're looking to explore a bit on your own, willing to engage with the locals, and OK with a more relaxed attitude, you'll love this place.

#59144 - 11/15/02 04:53 PM Re: What's so great about AC???
B_b_f_b Offline
People who live there are what makes this place beautiful. Where can you go and walk the streets with no shoes on and know that nobody is judging you. San Pedro. This will be my third time there in a year, love the place, hurry and get there before too many people discover it .

:p :p :p

#59145 - 11/15/02 05:01 PM Re: What's so great about AC???
Going for the 1st time January 3-11th!!! Can't wait. What about the tourist traffic. Has is changed since "TEMPTATION ISLAND"?

#59146 - 11/15/02 05:11 PM Re: What's so great about AC???
B_b_f_b Offline
I started coming after Temptation Island (thank God) and it seems to me there is a steady stream of tourists but it's nowhere near what you'd see in crowded and touristy Cancun.

#59147 - 11/15/02 05:13 PM Re: What's so great about AC???
Lan Sluder/Belize First Offline
Of course this kind of destination board attracts many people who have visited the island, like it and plan to go back.

Not that San Pedro isn't a fine place, but do keep in mind that most posters here are "self-selected." You will find some of the same enthusiasm on boards focused on other destinations, whether it's Paris or London or Cozumel or wherever.

--Lan Sluder
Lan Sluder/Belize First

#59148 - 11/15/02 06:48 PM Re: What's so great about AC???
Bobber Offline
I have also traveled quite a bit throught the Caribbean, and I like AC because mainly the people. They welcome you and are actually glad you are there. The kids are friendly, the food is great (and relatively cheap). The atmosphere is laid back but not totally dead. There is as much to do as you want, or as little as you like. All of the diveshops/tours/whatever are more than happy to bend their schedules to yours, or let you set your own destination.
One item of note is the quality of tourists. All of those people sharing your vacation made the little extra effort to get there for the same reason you do. No mass invasion of tour ship folks, no one who doesn't have at least a little of the adventurous spirit. And the visitors are a friendly lot.
And a lot of the relaxing feel that a vacation should have.
Been there, done that, the washing machine ate the T-shirt

#59149 - 11/15/02 07:06 PM Re: What's so great about AC???
Ernie B Offline
I belive, one of the most attractive assets are the expats that chose to live there at least part time. They are willing to show you around or give good solid advise on where to go, what to do and perhaps even where not to go. That is what appealed to me. Of course, the local people are the best in the World!
Gun Control is Hitting Your Target.

#59150 - 11/17/02 11:13 AM Re: What's so great about AC???
Axeman Offline
Why AC...hummm...the people are kind natured, not pushy, always willing to chat and just a pleasure to spend time with. I have traveled many places and for some reason AC had just what I was looking for.
If your looking for a quiet, peaceful spot, you won't have to travel far to find it. Most mornings I got up VERY early just to ride around and hang out with the locals. Most will take time to answer about any question you might have. I never felt rushed or "played". You can find US style lodgeing or go native and rough it, and save your money for the Fun stuff.
The reason you don't see alot of negative posts (IMHO) is that AC works at makeing our stays relaxing and stress free. I refuse to go to a place where I am even remotely reminded of home.
Life May Be a Beach...I prefer Reefs...

#59151 - 11/17/02 07:34 PM Re: What's so great about AC???
aqtpie2 Offline
I am glad this topic is on here... I usually vacation on AC every November. This year we decided to venture to Costa Rica. We had a great time, people were friendly, it was clean and there wasn't a bad day the whole time, saw more wildlife then ever in Belize - And we have stayed inland and did all that good stuff too. Anyway, at the end of our stay, I asked my husband if he woudl come back to CR, he said, "No, been there done that now, btu I woudl go back to Belize in a heartbeat". My thoughts exactly I said back to him.

I tried to explain to people who were asking me about vacation this year. We had such a great time - but it just wans't like when we are in Belize (I know - maybe because we weren't). But the people on AC and in Belize just make the stay so much more homey. We feel so at home on AC, and when we meet up with other visitors there - they tend to be people that are "our kind of folks" and not so much the "typical tourist".

I agree with Lan - you will get a lot of boarders with this same look on things - but then different boards for different places you will also find that. AC is not for everyone - and I am grateful for that. It's what makes the world go round.

I am so glad to be back and am eager to plan my vacation next November - ibanole... that means I am headed your way... our favorite place to stay...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker

TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 56 Guests and 9 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,631 Registered Members
44 Forums
63,687 Topics
461,187 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 02:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.