Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#59188 11/18/02 09:12 PM
P
pkate98 Offline OP
OP Offline
P
I have heard a lot about snorkeling trips, shark-ray alley, cave tubing and the ruins. But what I would like to know is what are the best diving sites? I have read on the AC website and have found a couple that seem interesting. These are: Pillar corals, Long Caye @ Lighthouse, and Cypress Gardens. For those of you who have been to these destinations, what is your report on them?

T
T
Longcaye@Lighthouse reef and Blue Hole were the best in my experience. A long day,(about 2 hrs. out there each way from San Pedro) but I wouldn't have missed it for the world. The health of the coral and reef, the variety and colors of fish, the sheer amount of flora and fauna; I wouldn't have missed it for the world. :p

P
pkate98 Offline OP
OP Offline
P
Hot deep did you go in the Blue Hole? I am nervous about going deeper than 60ft.

T
T
the hole rocks....i would'nt want to do it everytime, but it was bad to the bone...huge animals lurking down there....maybe even the lochness on vacation....

lighthouse caye was okay, but there are many dives around it that are probably better.....

i would find a small boat operation next time, but only because i am impatient, which is why i go on vacation...but, the big boats have better accomodations.....

i was disappointed to find the preserve island littered even the though the booby birds did'nt mind....

Belize kicks ass

peacetoad

T
T
the hole rocks....i would'nt want to do it everytime, but it was bad to the bone...huge animals lurking down there....maybe even the lochness on vacation....

lighthouse caye was okay, but there are many dives around it that are probably better.....

i would find a small boat operation next time, but only because i am impatient, which is why i go on vacation...but, the big boats have better accomodations.....and you can hang out up by the capitan and watch the storms roll across the abyss

i was disappointed to find the preserve island littered even the though the booby birds did'nt mind....

Belize kicks ass

peacetoad

T
T
Oops ,sorry, I though you said snorkeling. I read your post again, and see you asked about diving...sorry. "Never mind" wink

pkate, maybe you aren't ready for the Blue Hole day trip. Don't worry about it. There's always next time. (the Blue Hole dive is 130')

Most of the dives off shore San Pedro are 60-80'. You will find that you won't be nervous about 80' for long. And if your holiday goes well doing the good sites off of San Pedro (Pillar Coral, Cypress, Mexico Rocks, Victoria Tunnels, etc.) maybe you'll decide to go out to Turneffe for a day trip before you go home.

A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

P
pkate98 Offline OP
OP Offline
P
Yikes 130 ft! Yes, I'm not really an experienced diver quite yet - but would love to try the hole when I'm ready. Some of the others sound pretty good to me. 80ft doesn't bother me.

I've heard that Blue Hole does not have that much marine life. Is that the case? If so what IS the attraction?

The geological history, the history of discovery, diving a site made famous by Jacque Cousteau, the sharks . . . eek wink

For me, it's kind of spiritual. Each time I do it, I see more. Last time I was in the Hole, I found some small chambers in the wall that actually had some little fish in them. I got a better look at the mossy stuff growing on the wall. I wasn't as terrified by the sharks in the Hole. At the safety stop, we were cruised by a bunch of sharks and a large one got within spitting distance of one of my buddies and I. I came out of the water screaming . . . "Again, Again! I want to do it AGAIN!!" smile

That said, some other people are bored by it. Go figure.

A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 124 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,198
Posts500,015
Members20,458
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.