Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#59308 - 11/22/02 11:15 AM The New Boy Needs Info Please
StrayCat Offline
hi all, yep, I am a first timer, to this board and to ambergris. Would like to stay beachfront - a decent beach would be nice - and someplace that has affordable dive/hotel packages. Would appreciate info on Banana Beach/Blue Hole Divers; Playa Blanca/Gaz Coopers;
and any others in that price range. I would have loved to stay at Ramons - but my wallet prohibits it this first time around. A bed is a bed, I know, but would enjoy having pleasant surroundings topside. I have browsed the posts in here, and have learned alot. Bless the board.

#59309 - 11/22/02 12:39 PM Re: The New Boy Needs Info Please
StrayCat Offline
following the directions of other posters, I did a search for Banana Beach and Playa Blanca. So many great responses for Banana, and absolutely zip for Playa Blanca. This might be because it is somewhat new? Maybe you oldtimers,and Marty or Lan have info on it. Additionally, I will be visiting AC the last week of February or 1st of March sometime. What is the weather in February and March? Do I need to pack more than shorts and tees? I have found out so much by just browsing these posts: interesting places to eat, to drink, to make merry; the best place to rent a golf cart (Monchos), but hey.....where can I rent a bike for a week? Thanks

#59310 - 11/22/02 12:46 PM Re: The New Boy Needs Info Please
Chloe Offline
Bike rental was Joe's Bike Rental on Middle street as I recall.
Dare To Deviate

#59311 - 11/22/02 01:00 PM Re: The New Boy Needs Info Please
scubatsa Offline
All I can do is give you my opinion. If you're flying in, all you have to do is walk across the street and you're at the Sunbreeze Hotel. It's less expensive than Ramon's and they have new bikes for rent there. You may find out that a week is a long time for bike riding (I know that an hour was too long for me). From the Sunbreeze you can walk to almost any place in town. Playa Blanca is beautiful but isolated. You can ride a bike there or do the water taxi if you don't want the golf cart rental deal. If you want Gaz, as your dive master, he'll probably agree to have you picked up at the Aqua Dives dock (at Sunbreeze) or you can book with Aqua Dives and do it all from Sunbreeze. I've used Aqua Dives and Ambergris Divers and a nice thing about the island is that if the service and quality isn't there - the businesses don't last. Competition is heavy so the service is good with all businesses (dive operators, hotels and restaurants).

#59312 - 11/22/02 01:04 PM Re: The New Boy Needs Info Please
Many of the hotels/resorts have bikes for use or to rent. Most of them require that you have them back at dark. The weather in Feb or March is generally wonderful. We have been in AC Feb-Mar or Apr for the past ten years. March is actually our favorite time of year there, matter of fact, in 22 days of 2002 travel we've had zero rain during the day.

#59313 - 11/22/02 01:18 PM Re: The New Boy Needs Info Please
StrayCat Offline
thanks for the replies! I have put Joes for bike on the list, ty Chloe, and I guess my butt just might get tired of biking all week, good point scubatsa - and who needs sore muscles in paradise?
I was relieved to hear about the weather ChooChoo, thanks. Playa Blanca is isolated? that could be a plus, the quiet, the stars, the beer LOL. I could always splurge for a watertaxi and have a couple nites in town. Thanks again folks. The simplicity of AC is highly appealing, I think I already love it.

#59314 - 11/22/02 01:58 PM Re: The New Boy Needs Info Please
Hi Stray...
Yep, you will be another AC lover after your first trip...
You may want to check out caribeisland.com
It is 3 miles south, has a great bar and restaurant, free bikes, kayaks, free shuttle into town every night, pool, etc etc....
March is a great time to visit!

#59315 - 11/22/02 03:09 PM Re: The New Boy Needs Info Please
Barbara K Offline
Playa Blanca is very nice. It is somewhat more remote as it is on N Ambergris and accessible by water taxi only. The units are very large and spacious with full kitchens. They have a four 2 bedroom units and a large 3 bedroom penthouse unit on the top floor. Views are great. They were also building a few individual cabanas when I was there this summer. Some are probably completed by now. They are smaller and do not have kitchens but do have coffee maker, microwave & mini fridge. I think they are putting a pool in too but don't know the status on that. Quiet location, good dive operation, very accomodating.

Banana Beach is great as well and more accessible to town. Lots of info on it available on this board. I recommend both - it depends on what you are looking for.

#59316 - 11/22/02 06:03 PM Re: The New Boy Needs Info Please
Sandy C Offline
Recommend you check out Caribbean Villas Hotel - only 10 rooms/suites on 2 acres of land with a bird sanctuary. Prices for all budgets. South of town so quieter, but easy walk or bike ride to town; free bikes, hot tubs, pier with snorkeling area. There can still be cold fronts in February/March, so recommend you bring 1 set of long clothes; cold is high 60's/low 70's in the day with strong wind.

#59317 - 11/22/02 06:08 PM Re: The New Boy Needs Info Please
Sandy C Offline
PS, Caribbean Villas' guests receive reduced dive prices from Amigos del Mar; you can run a tab and pay AdM at the end. That way you are not locked into a certain number of dives via a dive package.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker

TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 37 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,633 Registered Members
44 Forums
63,706 Topics
461,226 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 02:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.