Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#59539 - 11/26/02 08:41 PM MALARIA SHOTS?
TROPICALOVE Offline
DOES EVERYONE GET MALARIA SHOTS B4 TRAVELING TO BELIZE? I PLAN ON SPENDING 1 WK OR SO IN AC & 1 WEEK CHECKING OUT THE MAINLAND.

#59540 - 11/26/02 10:45 PM Re: MALARIA SHOTS?
MamaLiz Offline
CDC-Malaria in Belize
I'm not aware of any Malaria shot, but there are pills that you can (should) take. My personal opinion is that anyone who will be on the mainland for more than a daytrip should use Malaria prophylaxis.
My kids and I are current on our shots, but I am asking my husband to get poked for Hep A, tetanus and diphtheria. It can't hurt (ok, well maybe a little wink ) and it just might help.
For more info: CDC-Central America Travel Reccommendations
Whatever you decide, have a safe and happy trip cool

#59541 - 11/26/02 11:48 PM Re: MALARIA SHOTS?
Anonymous
We didn't get Malaria shots, and have made several trips to BZ. My husband, who lives on the island about 6 months a year--and travels to the mainland--was given a pill to take one day a week while he is down there. But he has never taken them. We asked alot of people, tourists and residents, and it does not seem like a necessary thing. But if it will put your mind at ease and help you enjoy your trip, then go ahead and get something.
You'll have a GREAT trip!!

#59542 - 11/27/02 02:56 AM Re: MALARIA SHOTS?
Marty Offline
never had such a shot in many many trips

#59543 - 12/01/02 04:45 PM Re: MALARIA SHOTS?
Diane Campbell Offline
There is definitely no shot against malaria. Different strains of malaria requre different preventative methods. There are several different things that provide passive protection against Malaria, most have quinine in them (all are taken orally). Some of these pills have side effects, so one needs to check wth a professional before making a decision on what to do. One bite is unlikely to give you a case of malaria - it seems that repreated exposure elevates the risk. If you decide to use the preventative pills, you need to begin taking them two weeks prior to your trip.

#59544 - 12/02/02 08:46 PM Re: MALARIA SHOTS?
TROPICALOVE Offline
Thanks for the info...so do most people who visit Belize take the Malaria pills?
I'm coming to AC & planning on making 2-4 day mainland trips. I don't want to take anything, but of course want to be safe. I'm traveling with a six year old child..

#59545 - 12/03/02 12:51 AM Re: MALARIA SHOTS?
klcman Offline
the most common reply would be, I think, No...we don't take the pills.....but if it makes ya feel better.............. :p

#59546 - 12/03/02 08:31 PM Re: MALARIA SHOTS?
mommy Offline
MY HUBBY AND I NEVER TOOK ANY PILLS OR ANY THING BUT I CAN SAY DONT PLAN ON GIVING ANY BLOOD FOR ONE YEAR AFTER YOU RETURN. THEY TURNED US DOWN! BUT DO WHAT MAKES YOU FEEL SAFE. ENJOY !! CARRIE cool

#59547 - 12/03/02 09:03 PM Re: MALARIA SHOTS?
Lan Sluder/Belize First Offline
I believe (though I'm not 100% sure) that the American Red Cross has changed its policy on not accepting blood if you have been in a malaria area or have taking malaria meds.

--Lan Sluder

#59548 - 12/04/02 02:28 AM Re: MALARIA SHOTS?
Anonymous
I was recently told by my doctor that there IS at least a 1 year wait to donate blood after returning from Belize.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Links
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker
Chronicles

PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
2 registered (2 invisible), 29 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,670 Registered Members
44 Forums
64,006 Topics
462,169 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.