Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#60004 - 12/10/02 09:55 PM Eight bruises, three cuts and two blisters later (Day eight)
Ms. Coconuts Offline
This morning when I went down to Ruby’s Café for my last johnnycake, it was raining. And that’s just about how I felt. As so often happens in San Pedro, the rain soon stopped and the sun came out. One last time, I put on my bikini and decided to live on the wild side of life and use only SPF 15 sunblock. Then down to the beach.
I have traveled to many fantastic places in my life, but this vacation was one of, if not the best so far. The people of San Pedro were so friendly. Everyone always said hello. Even the children said hi. I wonder if the children here get the same "don’t talk to strangers" lecture as the children in the states get? I doubt it.
Sometimes they were so excited to greet you, that they had to said it twice, "morning,morning."
But my favorite greeting was, "Hello, beautiful." Apparently, I am beautiful in Belize. But everything in Belize is beautiful. The sea gulls at the end of the pier. The breaking of the waves on the reef, not so far away. The beaming stars at night. It’s beautiful how some palm trees are perfectly straight and others are crooked. The people, the sand streets, the teeter totters………
Too quickly, the morning ended. It was time to go home. Time to wear shoes again. When I arrived eight days ago, I took off my shoes, tucked them under my bed and there they have remained. Aside from wearing sandals when I rode the bike around (the pedals were very prickly) I had gone everywhere in my barefeet. Just another hint that you’re in paradise.
By one o’clock I was slumped on the back seat of Tropic Air. When the wheels left San Pedro until they landed at Belize International, I struggled, unsuccessfully, to not cry. It was painful leaving this incredible island. It felt as if a part of me was being ripped out to remain always on Ambergris Caye.
I moped into a tiny bar tucked away in the corner of the airport. There were twinkling yellow and pink Christmas lights strung up and a sign that said, "No matter where I serve my guest, it seems they like Jet’s Bar best." A profusion of police, sheriff and fire rescue patches completed the decorations.
But the best thing about Jet’s Bar was Jet. Whenever anyone ordered a drink he asked, "Do you want your beer cold or very cold?" I thought that was hilarious.
Anyway, after one last Belinkin and one of Jet’s delicious hot dogs, I was feeling much better. Jet had this manner about him that made me feel as if everything was all right in the world. That I could return home. But I was returning home a very different person.
Thank you Jet, and everyone else in Belize, for sharing your land with me. Katherine

#60005 - 12/10/02 11:45 PM Re: Eight bruises, three cuts and two blisters later (Day eight)
RI Laura Offline
Katherine, Wow... Thank you! What more can I say?? - Laura smile smile smile

Except... how could I have forgotten about Jet??

#60006 - 12/11/02 04:37 AM Re: Eight bruises, three cuts and two blisters later (Day eight)
rickcheri Offline
Thank you so much for that last post of your trip, it remind me and Cheri every time we leave the paradise there!! Cheri and me (even though we I try to hide it) have tears in our eyes when the tropic flight takes off and we have to look at our paradise that we are leaving and what we are coming back too... Thanks so much for that!!!!! I have some tears now just reading your last post!! You have made my Holidays even though we are not there.... We so MISS our little piece of paradise there in Belize.. Soon one day.. Email us some time and we can talk...
I hope you return one day to enjoy more than what you took in on this trip.. I feel that it would take a life time to see everything that Belize has to offer...
Again thanks for this post and waiting on the PICS!!!!! See ya there!! And you have a grand Holiday!!!!!

Rick laugh laugh wink cool smile laugh wink

#60007 - 12/11/02 08:41 AM Re: Eight bruises, three cuts and two blisters later (Day eight)
NYgal Offline
I always hate to finish a good book, too goes for this reading you have given us. Thanks so much for your time and efforts.

Isn't sharing rewarding? smile

#60008 - 12/11/02 09:21 AM Re: Eight bruises, three cuts and two blisters later (Day eight)
Axeman Offline
MC, Just wanted to thank you for your wonderful report. I've looked forward to reading it each and every day. You really should consider writing as a career, you are very gifted. I felt as if I was there with you. I too went there with no expectations and came away blessed and Blissed. I'm working towards a trip in April, but reports like this turn the heat up on my Trip-O-Meter!

Thanks SOOO much!!!!
Life May Be a Beach...I prefer Reefs...

#60009 - 12/11/02 10:44 AM Re: Eight bruises, three cuts and two blisters later (Day eight)
Bobber Offline
Why does everyone (including me) go through withdrawal symptoms? Something in the air? the water? Belikin? There is something there that just won't let go of us.

Ms. Coconuts, once again thank you for your great reports. You are another kindred spirit.
Been there, done that, the washing machine ate the T-shirt

#60010 - 12/11/02 10:57 AM Re: Eight bruises, three cuts and two blisters later (Day eight)
Nacho Offline
Thank you so much for your posts, Ms. Coconuts! I look forward each morning to reading your reports - my husband and I will be in AC for the first time in less than a week and I can't wait! Do you have posts on other sites from your other trips? You have developed quite a following!!

Many happy travels to you!!

#60011 - 12/11/02 11:14 AM Re: Eight bruises, three cuts and two blisters later (Day eight)
Jim Wade's Little Sister Offline
Ms. Coconuts: Your trip reports were wonderful. Thank you so much for sharing. I have read them with tears and laughter. You've got the fever. I must warn you about Belize. It's addicting. My brother visited Belize some 27 years ago and lived there for the rest of his life. He passed away in April of this year. It will be hard to return to Belize without him greeting me, but I know I have to go back to share my love of this beautiful country with my family for hopefully many more years to come. It is truly magical.

#60012 - 12/11/02 01:13 PM Re: Eight bruises, three cuts and two blisters later (Day eight)
scubatsa Offline
Again, Thank You for sharing this with the rest of us. I've been printing off copies to share with my wife and neighbors. The neighbors are making their first trip this weekend (4 days=not enough time). It reminds me of landing there on 11/2 and telling Roberto (at Ambergris Divers)about the delays to get there. His reply was, "You can relax, you're home now". We agree, the beauty is in the land the water and most importantly, the people. Now you know what you must do. You must return......

#60013 - 12/11/02 01:32 PM Re: Eight bruises, three cuts and two blisters later (Day eight)
seashell Offline
LOL, scubatsa!! When last I was there, a number of people referred to me "being home". I couldn't figure out if it was just something that they say down there or if it was specific to my condition. Now I know . . .
A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker

TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lil’ Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 33 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,635 Registered Members
44 Forums
63,711 Topics
461,241 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 02:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.