Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Topic Options
#60242 - 12/17/02 03:12 PM Snorkling gear for a child...?
Realistically, will it be dificult for me to find snorkling gear for a child 50lbs/4ft. tall? Can anyone recommend a particular venue that caters to children's sizes?

#60243 - 12/17/02 06:24 PM Re: Snorkling gear for a child...?
Miha Offline
If you are just looking for mask, snorkel, and fins, a sporting goods store will have it. When we were on Ambergris, we rented the snorkeling equipment from the dive shop. My youngest is 58 lbs, and it fit him fine. Your kids will have a ball! cool

#60244 - 12/20/02 12:19 PM Re: Snorkling gear for a child...?
i found gear for the kiddos at academy and wally world. if this is the first time snorkeling for them, watch out for "swim aways". davids little one would always swim off, finally i would give her strict instructions to follow a shoreline or a rope or something. turned out she would see a fish and follow it off!!!

#60245 - 12/20/02 02:21 PM Re: Snorkling gear for a child...?
Are the places mentioned in AC or the US? Is it imperative that I bring a mask & other stoff with me? I hate to bring more than necessary, but wnat to be prepared. Thanks for the advice, Gay!

#60246 - 12/20/02 03:31 PM Re: Snorkling gear for a child...?
both in the us
academy sports & outdoors
both should have websites

#60247 - 12/20/02 04:59 PM Re: Snorkling gear for a child...?
Miha Offline
Ditto to the other posters. Kids' snorkeling equipment would be available at Wal-mart, K-mart, or your local sporting goods store. However, I don't think you need to bring it with you. The dive shops in Ambergris will have equipment that will fit your children. The masks have adjustable straps, and the flippers come in children's sizes. We used Ambergris Divers, and rented the snorkel equipment from them - if I remember it correctly, it cost $6.00 US per day. Just my opinion - but if your child is too small to fit into the rental equipment, he/she is probably too young to snorkel offshore.

We took our kids (ages 10 & 7) snorkelling at Hol Chan and Shark Ray Alley. Even though they are both good swimmers, they wore a life jacket around their waist. The dive master also attached a rope to one of those round life preservers. He held onto one end of the rope, and instructed the kids to hold onto the other end with one hand.

The only other safety tip that I have is to make sure the number in your group is small, so you or the divemaster can keep a close eye on your kids. I saw some cruise ship passengers at Shark Ray Alley, and there were about 20 people to one guide - scary!

Our family had a blast snorkelling together. I'm sure yours will too! smile

#60248 - 12/22/02 05:31 PM Re: Snorkling gear for a child...?
Barbara K Offline
Amigos del Mar rents kid sized gear. There may be other places as well. And Blue Hole & Fantasea (at Victoria House) rent prescription masks FYI. When snorkeling with kids beware at Hol Chan - usually very strong currents toward the reef. I have had to be "rescued" with my 4 yr old by the park ranger.

#60249 - 12/23/02 01:04 PM Re: Snorkling gear for a child...?
Thanks everyone for the info...I will rent equipment there instead of bringing it from here. laugh

Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker

TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31
Who's Online
2 registered (2 invisible), 50 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,631 Registered Members
44 Forums
63,679 Topics
461,169 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 02:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.