Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
W
OP Offline
W
Hi, Everybody! Y'all are such a spirited community; cruising this board is fabuloso escapism on cold days in NYC and Boston. Educational too. We are coming (YAY!!!) on Christmas Eve, staying at SusanGG's in Paradise Villas. So, questions:

Should we bring food (like, coffee, roasted almonds, a can of black-eyed peas for good luck on New Years Day, etc.) I like to have breakfast at home most days, a drink and snack in the afternoon or evening...not so much for economy's sake, but just to be mellow in our own pad. Wanna be prepared, but maybe it's fine to stock up at local foodstore? Which food store is best, closest? (I recall a posting, but don't know how location relates to us.)

Are restaurants and stores (food, anyway) going to be open on Christmas--or will we be forced to guzzle rum punch and what do you call them, something with "Panties" in the title, and eat cocktail peanuts? Do we need to reserve?....

Also, is it REALLY true that all we need are tee shirts and shorts? Even for going out for dinner on New Year's Eve? Darling was thinking about taking a couple of dressy cotton shirts and I told him I've read to leave fashion and jewelry at home...reassurance on this? Mata Chica sounds snazz, so I don't want to be underdressed. (Maybe La Isla Bonita will help us loosen up....)

Thank you all, really looking forward to getting to know the paradise you all love so well.

Woodsprite.

Bring something "spritzy" for New Years Eve just because it's New Years eve.....no reason to bring food or fashion...it's very laid back. I'm not a coffee drinker, so can't respond on that one. As far as I know, everyone will be open on that day!!! C

E
E
No dress up.....There is a grocery store about 100 ft from your front door.

That grocery store near you is San Pedro Grocery, it has really great coffee by the brand of Pilon-its yummy real french roast, and they have cans of black eyed peas and everything. Shorts and tee shirts is really all you'll need, maybe a sun dress for new year's if you want to "dress up".

Dressing up for the holidays in SP would be a clean shirt (with a collar for a more formal look).

Get everything at the local grocery, don't bother bringing anything unless it's some special gourmet product you can't live without. We've been over Christmas three times. Most stores and restaurants are open on Christmas Day to some extent. The real SERIOUS holiday in SP is Easter, which lasts for 4 days. The entire village virtually closes down for Easter Monday.

Have fun

We were in Ambergris a couple of weeks ago. We bought our perishables (bread, milk, eggs, lunch meat, etc.) on the island, but brought some cereal and snacks from home. The only thing that I would do differently next time is to bring some small ketchup, mustard, and mayo packs (like the kind you get at the fast food window). It seemed wasteful to buy a whole condiment bottle just for a week, but then our sandwiches were kind of dry. If you plan to go fishing, and then cook the fish in your room, you may want to bring some spices from home. Have a great time, leave the jewelry and fancy clothes at home! laugh

W
OP Offline
W
Wow, big board names are writing to moi! I'm glad I asked and thank you all for telling me what it is--a couple less things to tend to before we blast off. Can't wait!

I might suggest for breakfast at home, pop up the road to the bakery for some fresh rolls, pick up some fruit. Don't pass up a chance to go down to Estels for some fryjacks, and always keep in the back of your mind that lobster omelettes are readily available.

Been there, done that, the washing machine ate the T-shirt
P
P
Hi Woodsprite
My family will also be staying at Paradise Villas from the 27th to the 4th. You must have asked the right questions ....all the reply's were very helpful. I wonder if anyone knows about the bonefishing?

The bonefishing question, is difficult to get an answer to, my hubby has tried twice on Ambergris to go bonefishing. It seems very few guides want to bonefish. Not sure why, maybe seasonal, specialized, or lack of interest. We would love to get this answered also.

Dare To Deviate
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 340 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.