Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Topic Options
#60735 - 01/02/03 01:50 PM VISA???
ScubaLdy Offline
Two days ago I made my reservations with American Airlines, laugh arriving 01/30/03 leaving 04/02/03 I was told that I needed a visa. When I said I had never needed a visa before she said that because I am staying more than 30 days I need a visa. IS THIS TRUE? confused If so, where/how do I get one?
Take only pictures leave only bubbles

#60736 - 01/02/03 03:52 PM Re: VISA???
kmgentry Offline
Unless things have changed in the last 8 months, this is not true. I've been going to Belize since 96 and staying over a month each time. All that happens is that when you get to Belize, they (Belizean govt) will only validate your passport for 30 days. At the end of the 30 day period, you either go to the nearest immigration office and pay about BZ$30 (I can't remember the exact amount) to get a 30 day extension, or you exit the country (go to Guat for the day) and upon re-entry you usually get a 30 day extension (although they don't have to give it to you and if you get a mean border person, they won't give it to you).

#60737 - 01/02/03 04:02 PM Re: VISA???
Halonna Offline
Maybe you would be better to have your return flight in the 30 day period than reschedule the return flight after you are in Belize. I am very interested in this also as we are driving down from the Pacific Nortwest the first part of Feb. and plan on being in Belize between 3 and 4 months. We were planning on getting a 3 month extension once our 30 day period runs out.

#60738 - 01/02/03 07:58 PM Re: VISA???
Short Offline
kmgentry is right, American Arlines is wrong; you can renew the 30 days periodat the immigration office up to 6 months (30 days at the time).
Live and let live

#60739 - 01/02/03 08:06 PM Re: VISA???
klcman Offline
American may not be wrong at all. The fact that Scubaldy is buying a 90 day (approx) air ticket MAY require them to see the visa prior to isuing the ticket.

One Solution: Buy the 30 day ticket & then change the return date (just dont show up for departure and re-book when you are inside the final 30 day window). The change fee of $75 or $100 MAY be negotiable - I've only paid it once in my life....hint - call in the change to Goldson, and if asked for credit card, tell them you'll pay upon arrival. Then you can negotitiate, if needed, with the counter agent. many times a smile and a sense of humor will get you out of it. wink
_ _ _ _ _ _ _________________ _ _ _ _ _ _
But then what do I know, I am but a mere caveman

#60740 - 01/03/03 01:58 AM Re: VISA???
Mexicana Offline
SO are you suggesting a little flirt with the ticket agent?? Never crossed my mind. Any other tips for getting that fee reduced? Just wondering? Going shopping in Chetemal,MX always got my passport the stamp it needed when I lived in Belize... Hopefully that hasn't changed. Mixing business and pleasure works well and they make Yummy fruit drinks in Town My favorite pina-colada.

#60741 - 01/03/03 11:42 AM Re: VISA???
Lan Sluder/Belize First Offline
Sounds like American is being a little rule-fixated. Not unusual for airlines.

For all AA knows, you are taking a bus out of Belize the next day and traveling all over Central America, then returning to Belize the day of your flight two months later.

In fact that's one solution. Make a reservation with Novelo's to go to Chetumal.

I could be wrong but I've never heard of an American getting an actual visa to Belize for a stay longer than 30 days. (Nationals of some other countries do require a visa to enter at all.) As others have noted, you simply have to pay your fee and get your tourist card extended. Belize is not required to extend your stay but, again, I've not heard of it being denied for a legitimate tourist.

--Lan Sluder
Lan Sluder/Belize First

#60742 - 01/03/03 07:27 PM Re: VISA???
klcman Offline
A little flirt (but even better - kind, friendly face & demeanor) can get you a long way...not only in getting the fee waived/reduced but better seating as well.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _________________ _ _ _ _ _ _
But then what do I know, I am but a mere caveman

Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker

TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 21 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,633 Registered Members
44 Forums
63,706 Topics
461,226 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 02:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.