Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#60903 01/06/03 08:23 PM
M
Mojo Offline OP
OP Offline
M
I have a diving question that I hoped someone would have an opinion on. Should I be a member of Divers Alert Network for the insurance and other benefits? Does typical insurance not cover decompression etc? At my dive certification the instructor made it sound as though you would be an idiot to not get membership. Is this a sales pitch or are most of you members? Any insight is appreciated. Thanks.

#60904 01/06/03 09:59 PM
Maybe Sport Diver has an answer? I am curious about this too... CALLING SPORT DIVER, WHERE ARE YOU?? :rolleyes: wink

#60905 01/06/03 10:07 PM
Check out this link

[URL=http://www.diversalertnetwork.org/]

#60906 01/06/03 10:08 PM
D
D
DAN Is a good deal, its a worthwhile outfit.The money pays for and supports diver safety worldwide. Yea, the risk is small. the benefits are large, all it takes is one time.

#60907 01/07/03 02:07 AM
Most, I say most insurance will not cover chamber expenses, plus DAN will pay to haul your butt out of some unknown remote places as part of your insurance regardless of whether it is a dive related illness or not. Ever pay for an air ambulance?? The insurance is dang cheap in comparison plus they have additional member services. When you don't have insurance, more than likely that is when you'll need it. Just my opinion.

#60908 01/07/03 08:32 AM
This does bring up a question. If I remember correctly, AC does have a chamber (correct me if I'm wrong). Who has access to it? I did a lot of diving in Cozumel, and there was a chamber there that anyone had access to. The divemasters all charged an extra fee (like $5) for each trip that supported the thing.

Been there, done that, the washing machine ate the T-shirt
#60909 01/07/03 10:56 AM
If you are going to dive, get DAN. The premium membership is $99/year and well worth it considering what it would cost if you did not have it. My father got bent in Cozumel due to some complications and a worthless divemaster. He had to spend an extra five days on the island for a total of 13 hours in the chamber. DAN covered the extra cost of the stay, the charges from the airlines, all of his chamber treatments and the cost of the followup doctor visits at home. The total would have run about $15K! Not a bad deal for $99/year. I'm renewing today for my trip to AC in two weeks.

#60910 01/07/03 11:14 AM
I don't dive but from what one of our friends went through last year you'd be nuts not to get it! He got slightly bent and was in the Chamber in San Pedro, unfortunately later that night there was a house fire nearby which caused problems with the electricity in that block so the chamber was non-functional and my friend and another person had to be transported to Cozumel and he had to stay there for several days. DAN covered the chamber, transportation and such which saved him what would have been thousands of dollars extra! All our other friends who weren't members immediately signed up after hearing about his experience. My boyfriend has been a member for years and says he can't imagine why anyone would dive without it and take that chance of having to pay thousands! I guess each chamber treatment for our friend cost nearly a thousand (as he had to be in there for several hours with a doctor monitoring, a person with him in the chamber and such) and he required several treatments.

Anyway, we are heading back to San Pedro in May including our friend who went through that.. and all who are diving made sure to get DAN in advance!

Andrea in Atlanta
Happy to be a surface dweller!

Andrea in Atlanta
#60911 01/07/03 09:30 PM
My wife and I are going to AC the 28th of this month and are thinking about trying our hand at skin diving. We would probably go the resort diving way to see if we are going to enjoy it or not. Would we need to be concerned with getting bends as with this course we would be diving shallow? We were there 3 years ago and enjoyed snorkling the reef and shark ray and may take it to the next level. We will be at Bananas till the 5th so would appreciate any information we can get. Thanks D&J

#60912 01/08/03 10:23 AM
M
Mojo Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Thanks for all the advice. I have decided to purchase membership and their Master plan insurance. Only $64 a year and it sounds like not having it can be a real nightmare. Thanks!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 124 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,198
Posts500,015
Members20,458
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.