Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Topic Options
#61072 - 01/08/03 06:54 PM Books on Abergris Caye
jurassitol Offline
Hello everyone, I love reading everyones posts they are very informative and I can't seem to get enough. I was just wondering if anyone had some opinions on books about Belize, in particular Ambergris Caye. I want to get some books, but the local book store has a very limited selection and I will probably end up buying online, which means I can not preview them. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks!

#61073 - 01/08/03 06:57 PM Re: Books on Abergris Caye
deb1022 Offline
OOOOOOHHHHHHH! Lan your needed. smile

#61074 - 01/08/03 10:27 PM Re: Books on Abergris Caye
RI Laura Offline
I'm not a native... so I'll offer my impartial suggestion of ordering Lan Sluder's guidebook, in case he feels shy. I've been to AC 3 times, and wanted a focused book to bring with me this time that doesn't waste packing space by covering areas that I won't be visiting. San Pedro Cool does just that. He is not afraid to express his opinions and gives just the right amount of detail. He also highlights spots for daytrips and does an overview of Caye Caulker. I read it front to back as soon as I got it... and the smile is still there. cool (25 more days... )

#61075 - 01/09/03 10:30 AM Re: Books on Abergris Caye
Bobber Offline
Most guidebooks give you somewhat general stuff. Lans "San Pedro Cool" is the relatively up to date definitive guidebook to AC and San Pedro. In my opinion.
Been there, done that, the washing machine ate the T-shirt

#61076 - 01/09/03 03:07 PM Re: Books on Abergris Caye
jurassitol Offline
Thanks for the suggestions. What about Lan's "Adapters Kit: Belize" I know it isn't dedicated to AC but is it a pretty good book? And Lan I know you are out there, you can chime in too, I would love to hear your opinions.

#61077 - 01/10/03 12:15 AM Re: Books on Abergris Caye
o jackie Offline
"SAN PEDRO COOL", is the best, very informative.

#61078 - 01/10/03 11:35 AM Re: Books on Abergris Caye
Lan Sluder/Belize First Offline
Thanks to you folks for the nice words.

I'd also put in a plug for Elbert Greer's Birdwatching with Bubba. It's about birding on Ambergris Caye (and elsewhere) but it has a lot of local San Pedro color as well.

Most of the general guidebooks to Belize also have decent sections on Ambergris Caye. The new Lonely Planet Belize is probably the most up-to-date, though it lacks the seven-digit phone numbers.

--Lan Sluder

P.S. Adapter Kit is pretty much focused on living/retiring/working/buying property in Belize, though I have a section on traveling in the country, including in San Pedro.
Lan Sluder/Belize First

#61079 - 01/10/03 11:55 PM Re: Books on Abergris Caye
Mexicana Offline
I just bought a wonderful book on Belize...the best mini maps and photographs I have seen yet...
Title: Insight Guides BELIZE by Discovery channel.

It has a photo on the front with a fella in a boat in a red shirt that says You Better Belize it!

I have been looking for Lan's book at my local book stores, but haven't found it yet...I guess I will have to order online. I usually like to look before I buy, but the folks on this board are likely among the best for referrals.
Mexicana wink

#61080 - 01/11/03 11:30 AM Re: Books on Abergris Caye
Marty Offline
You can get Lan's book at:

also there are articles on Belize and Ambergris Caye at:

Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker

TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 39 Guests and 9 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,631 Registered Members
44 Forums
63,697 Topics
461,210 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 02:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.