Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Topic Options
#61092 - 01/09/03 08:15 PM what happened with the plane crash on Tropic air?
pkate98 Offline
I am not trying to start up any big discussions or anything. We are flying into AC on Monday and will be using Tropic Air. I had heard of the crash and just wanted to hear about it. I am sure it was just one of those random malfunction things that happened, but I would still like someone to put my mind at ease. Thank you.
Kate

#61093 - 01/09/03 08:37 PM Re: what happened with the plane crash on Tropic air?
Sandlapper Offline
Go to The Reporter Link on this site. There is an article about the crash. Apparently it was a sea landing and no one was hurt. IF that makes you feel better! In two weeks we're flying out of Charlotte,NC(plane crash yesterday) to AC (on Tropic). Hope the crash quota is up for the year!

#61094 - 01/09/03 09:13 PM Re: what happened with the plane crash on Tropic air?
Barbara K Offline
Here's what I got from Tropic Air:

At 5:40 PM on Friday December 27, 2002 Tropic Air Flight 100A left Goldson
International Airport enroute to San Pedro with 13 passengers aboard a Cessna
Grand Caravan. Upon approach to San Pedro the pilot maneuvered to obtain
separation of his aircraft from other aircraft landing at that time. As he was
completing the maneuver the aircraft apparently penetrated a severe down draft
resulting in a forced landing in the sea 2.5 miles short of the runway at San Pedro.

The captain managed to land the aircraft intact in the sea. The passengers were
picked up by boat and transported to San Pedro where they were examined by
Doctors and released by 8:00 PM. There were no serious injuries.

This is the first loss of this type of aircraft since Tropic Air began operating them
ten years ago. The aircraft was one year old. This accident has had no impact
on Tropic Air's normal operations. Tropic Air operates over 120 scheduled flights
per day between 9 destinations. A full investigation of the accident is under way.

#61095 - 01/09/03 09:13 PM Re: what happened with the plane crash on Tropic air?
ckocian Offline

#61096 - 01/10/03 05:50 AM Re: what happened with the plane crash on Tropic air?
o jackie Offline
I was there the night the Tropic Flight landed in the water and when I left that next week, I never thought twice of what had happened. I flew on Tropic 6 times and things happen,but nothing to be fearful of.Thank God that the pilot thought fast and nobody was injured. Just think how excited you will be to get to the island while you are on your way there, and how sad you are to leave on your way back.
I also flew the US Airways flight from Charlotte. that is a pretty nice flight, I was pretty impressed with them. I always fly Continental,so was kinda scared with a new airline,we made good time,I think we were even 40 minutes early.
Jackie

#61097 - 01/10/03 06:57 AM Re: what happened with the plane crash on Tropic air?
RobertE Offline
In a nutshell from what I've read, opinion has it that it was a microburst (Isolated severe thunderstorm) or wind shear that was a contributing factor

#61098 - 01/10/03 07:12 AM Re: what happened with the plane crash on Tropic air?
pkate98 Offline
Thank you for easing my mind. I wasn't to concerned, but I just wanted to know.

#61099 - 01/11/03 08:03 PM Re: what happened with the plane crash on Tropic air?
Marty Offline
here's the discussion on this board:
http://ambergriscaye.com/message/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=6;t=001704

#61100 - 01/12/03 12:11 AM Re: what happened with the plane crash on Tropic air?
KathyMLT Offline
I was there the day the plane went down and I talked with a couple that was on the plane. It seems as stated that the plane encountered a wind shear and went down in the water. The weather that day wasn't the greatest but these things can happen even on a good day. In my opinion the pilots of Tropic Air are like the pilots in Bush Alaska....some of the best there are. I flew out on Tropic and wasn't the least bit afraid to fly. I remember on a trip to Guatamala on Tropic we hit some bad weather coming back and although it was a bit hairy the pilot was excellent.
The people of San Pedro were wonderful in helping those passengers and I'm sure that Tropic is doing it's best to investigate the accident. I can certainly understand your concern but I don't worry you'll love it.

Links
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker
Chronicles

PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 52 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,672 Registered Members
44 Forums
64,036 Topics
462,242 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.