Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#61278 01/13/03 11:41 PM
J
Jono Offline OP
OP Offline
J
My friend and I just got back from 4 days on AC and 5 days on Placencia. First off the weather was really bad. This was a major drag, because we are not scuba people and it effected the snorkling and fishing. We stayed at the Banyon Beach on AC and we had a really nice room. However, I was not prepared for how bad the beaches were. I have been told that this is how the beaches are when there is a reef involved.
What do I know? Let's just say that I was really disappointed in the beaches on AC. Also the restaurants were ok, but really overhyped and overpriced. I paid $17 for a fish special at Elvi's. It was good, but I can pay that here in NYC. I also didn't think the night life was anything to rave about on AC. Actually, it was really dead when I was there for the first week in Jan. If your into rap, then god bless, you will probably enjoy the nightlife. Im not. We made due at Fido's. They had live music. It was still really dead. Also, be careful who you pick for excursions. We picked the wrong people for both snorkling and fishing. The fishing guy brought his girl on our trip. Very unprofessional. The snorkling guy(Belize yacht club) had a hangover and basically stayed on the boat. And can someone please tell me why a country so close to Mexico only has one brand of Tequilla; and it's that Jose Cuervo crap. Even the bartenders smiled and agreed with me. All in all, AC is just one big hype....Sorry...
Placencia was not much better, but much more reasonable. Please note that they are still realing from the hurricaine last year. I was shocked at how unkept the beaches were. It seems like there is no public works down there. It's a shame, because there are lots of good people down there running hotels and trying to be entreprenuers. You can build all the fancy houses and hotels that you want; but if there is no infrastructure work, and the beaches aren't cleaned up, then people won't come back.
Next time Im going to Cayo and the mountains...

Wow, I am sorry you did not have a great vacation.

Dare To Deviate
T
T
Jono, yes I gotta agree with you about the beaches. It's hit or miss. We were in Placencia pre-hurricane, and it was magical. We fell in love with the place. But the trash pick-up thing is an issue. As far as prices in AC, I also agree. It seemed much more pricey to me this past year, than when we went in 01. No great bargains.

couple of questions....were you there for New Years Eve and if so where did you do? I know Ramon's was recommended.
Also, who was your fishing guide? Just curious.

M
M
Jono,
I have read it a million times on this board, "Belize isn't for everyone" It sounds to me like you are one of those persons. My wife and I loved both AC and Placencia and can't wait to return in June. I feel the prices at most places are reasonable, and if you feel they are too high you can certainly get up and go elsewhere. As for the beaches, yes they are a bit littered in places but paying for clean-up services is costly.

Sorry to say this but if you didn't like AC & Placencia for all the reasons you stated - you are probably not going to like Cayo any better. In many ways it is even more primitive than the beach areas. Perhaps another country?

M
M
Amen Barbara!

A
A
Gez, you guys are amazing! Everytime someone expresses a less than Chamber of Commerce opinion, people start blasting them. The reason for this message board is to get an honest, unbiased opinion. If we wanted all roses and no thornes we would talk to a travel agent. Let's lighten up and let a fellow borad member express their opinion.

And, what, SILENTLY disagree? Anyone can opine all they want. "Opinions are like **sholes: everyone has one but everyone thinks everyone else's stinks."

I'm not blasting him. I got into this business of offering travel ONLY to Belize because of meeting people in Belize who did not like it and were expecting something completely different. As a travel agent, that's a nightmare. I quickly learned that BZ is very different from other places (though they all look good & fairly the same in the brochures!) I have recommend to some of my clients that they NOT go to Belize for exactly this reason - it is not going to be what they want or expect. I can tell from the questions asked or amenities they are looking for. I referred them to another travel agency that does more general stuff. Some places will make the sale & send them anyhow and then deal with the fallout, but I don't need that crap, and MOSTLY I don't want people in Belize who are not going to love it. My mission (since I sent foot in the country many years ago) is getting the RIGHT people to the Right places in Belize. That is why I don't have pre set packages and why I ask 50 million questions of potential clients. It's also why I answer questions on this board and by email whether you book with me or not. I just meant what I said - if he didn't like the more "built up" places because of lack of infrastructure, nightlife, etc. - he sure isn't going to like the less built up/more rusic places. (Unless he is like my hubby who hates beaches & fun and ONLY likes mountains & strenuous activities!!! This is why I am going to be in BZ next week (with him) and ONLY get to spend ONE NIGHT in San Pedro!!!)

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 308 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.